DIY powder storage

Rangemaster

Step back behind the LINE
Belligerents
Oct 6, 2013
High Sierra Desert
I built this for less then thirty dollars and it is lined with 1/2” hardy back and has doors on both sides with two layers of hardy back in the middle. All the wood was from jobsite pickup, only things I bought as the hidges, caster wheels and hardy back board.

Attachments

Strykervet

Resident Phoenix Eye and Dim Mak Instructor
Belligerents
Jun 5, 2011
Pierce County, WA
I was using a Stack-On locker until I filled it with ammo, now it's all in the closet. I'd like another stack on though and plan to go back to doing it that way. The actual listed lockers for this stuff aren't much different.

Jackomason

Career Poopatician aka "Turd Herder"
Belligerents
Dec 26, 2013
Westcliffe Colorado
When I worked at cabelas in highschool back in Canada, I seem to remember that the feds didn't want them storing powder in a metal cabinet. The idea is that wood doesnt build pressure like metal does.. anyway all this to say that this is a great idea!

Eric_F

Private
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
Minneapolis
Looks really nice! Lots of reloaders don't think a flammable cabinet is needed at all, but after years in chemistry labs it just feels wrong to me. There are some YouTube videos demonstrating wood flammable cabinets perform impressively. So I found these plans, and built a couple versions. http://finishing.tips/wooden-flammable-storage-cabinets/

A 1“ nominal thick wall wood cabinet is actually required by NFPA for >20 lbs powder. Not sure for who/when that would apply, but it makes me feel better.

First I built a mini version for primers, just cheap poplar though. Latch is only as a pull, it only seals from spring pressure on the hinge. Then I built a larger version for powder, from solid red oak. I don't have my plans handy, but it's the depth of a 12" nominal board and 16" tall, I think about 18" wide.

Attachments

Last edited:

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Belligerents
Aug 10, 2001
Arizona, good place for me...
My ammo and powder storage consists of ammo in ammo cans and powder in their original packaging jugs.

They all are secured inside an Ikea heavy wire locking storage cage with roomy shelves.

Last edited:

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Mb.
The thing is, just to cloud the discussion,,,, is the focus on "storage in case of fire" OR "storage in case of burglary/theft?"

Those would be two totally different parameters, no? So how does one prevent access AND fire, efficiently?

Eric_F

Private
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
Minneapolis
The thing is, just to cloud the discussion,,,, is the focus on "storage in case of fire" OR "storage in case of burglary/theft?"

Those would be two totally different parameters, no? So how does one prevent access AND fire, efficiently?
Who are you concerned about stealing your gunpowder? I would only worry about my kids, and I just have the powder cabinets on high shelves and a (normal) lock on the door for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer

woogie_man

Sergeant
Belligerents
Aug 22, 2010
Fargo, ND
Now that is impressive!! Just noticed the left side of the picture under the table....with all the turrets loaded up.

Very nice