coyote range finder

jeredharlan

New Hide Member
Mar 13, 2018
what is your recommendation for a range finder for coyote sized game, one that can actually read a coyote in a wheat field on a sunny day. I don't need Bluetooth or ballistic software, just bare bones solid ranges. I currently run a leica 1600b and a coyote past 600 is a very difficult range to attain.

Blutroop

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 25, 2018
Alaska
Not trying to thread jack but I’m building a 17 Remington for coyote hunting this season (opened yesterday) I have no budget.. what is the absolute cheapest that will actually register 600. I have frozen lakes so might be able to set up some long range shots too.

RNWRKNP

Sophisticated Redneck
Dec 13, 2017
PHX, AZ
Another one For Leica 2000 that I picked up for around $500. Laid up against the frame of the gun works well for coyotes though I usually range markers ahead of a call.

jeredharlan

New Hide Member
Mar 13, 2018
so I have a revic, all I really need is the straight line range, no angle correction. would it be wise to go with the terrapin x or a used older terrapin. I won't likely shoot over 1000 yards but sure want consistent readings. I'd be interested in the sig binos but don't want to buy something that hasn't been proven to perform on coyotes at 1000 in the sun

Nate O.

Sergeant of the Hide
Apr 2, 2011
South Dakota
what is your recommendation for a range finder for coyote sized game, one that can actually read a coyote in a wheat field on a sunny day. I don't need Bluetooth or ballistic software, just bare bones solid ranges. I currently run a leica 1600b and a coyote past 600 is a very difficult range to attain.
You will need one of the fine options from Vectronix

Rthur

Philomath
Apr 16, 2010
Divernon, Illinios
Many lasers will ping off a coyote 600 plus.
A fair portion will be not of the bargain variety.
As you expect it to do this in less than ideal conditions, fog rain snow bright sun with snow, the price will go up quick.

R

Blutroop

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 25, 2018
Alaska
17 Remington is NOT an ideal choice for a 600 yd coyote
I didn’t say I’d be shooting coyote at 600, only that i have plenty of frozen lakes I can use For longer ranges. Are you speaking from experience on coyotes? I will listen to any advise given but 17cal appears to be full of false accusations. I have a Grendel for slightly longer ranges and was talking to someone on here that has a 17 Grendel reamer.

Blutroop

Sergeant of the Hide
Oct 25, 2018
Alaska
I’m still building my 17 ar so I’m not speaking from experience yet.. but from what I’ve read if you try some 30g on bigger stuff you’ll be impressed. I would like to get some of your load data if you don’t mind sharing. I found some old bullets from when Hornady made 25g molly costed and spire point I’m eager to try.

Mar 13, 2018
Thank you everyone, I decided to go with the terrapin x, I may regret not getting an original terrapin with the etched reticle but wanted to be sure I had warranty and also the bluetooth capability will surely help resale value if I ever decide to upgrade again