Cold bore 500 yards daily

magtech

Ole one eye
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
I put up a target at 500 yards this summer 8"x10" and I had the thought about doing one shot a day to just to practice my cold bore. Ideally, I like to practice cold bore for hunting, but i figure why not do it for daily practice as well. Im thinking about keeping a log and going from there, we'll see i guess.

So far i've shot at it a few times and verified my MV is pretty much spot on. I cleaned the rifle a couple days ago, then fired two foulers through it.

I figured id start tracking my cold bore this way and see how I do.

Today was the first day since cleaning and fouling... And i missed my first shot (totally confused, as this is normally an easy shot). Then I look at my turrets (forgot to add 2.3 mil). After adjusting properly, perfect hit. Hopefully, I learned my lesson there.

Does anyone else do cold bore shots like this?
Is there a better way to practice with a minimum round count.. to preserve/enhance shooting ability?

Milo 2.5

The Dalai Lama of the Reload
Belligerents
Aug 7, 2014
Gillette, WY
Excellent practice, just keep score, and keep it to one daily, until range day. I start on a 10" plate at 500 all the time, even of your zero is off it is more than doable. We also have a huge 24" x 36" plate at 500 we do load dev on, I shoot dot drills on it, not all at once, but periodically over the coarse of the session. Some days are diamonds, some you go home whining.

McNamara0851

Private
Belligerents
Aug 7, 2014
I usually leave a 12” plate on a fence post down the lane from my house. I can shoot it from 850 and in. That is exactly what I use it for. Pull up to an unknown distance, get out setup and range, shoot one time.

Dthomas3523

Well Calloused Knees
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I’d maybe add a 5” painted circle on the square and use that as a testing.

Hitting the 8x10” cold is acceptable, but ideally being able to pick up the rifle and being inside an moa would be awesome.

Dthomas3523

Well Calloused Knees
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Actually, this is a good question for @lowlight

As an instructor, what is the optimal distance and target size you think is achievable by:

Top shooter
Average Shooter
Beginner
LE/Mil professional

Cold bore/cold shooter. What’s ideal for picking up rifle and hitting on command in reasonable conditions (I.e. not 20+ mph wind, pouring rain, etc).

Speaking on the LE side, I’d say 1moa out to 300, 33% ipsc from 300-600 and an ipsc from 600-1000. That would be bare minimum I’d strive for. Likely only take extremely precise shots <300yds, and man size targets from there.

Reactions: clcustom1911

magtech

Ole one eye
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
OP - do you return your turrets and parallax back to "zero" setting?
I like to return them to zero to: A. get used to adjusting them properly everytime, and B. to continually work them for durability.

Once the corn gets out this fall I'll be adding an elevated platform. This will allow me to shoot out to 800 on the same target. Although i"LL have to widen my shooting lanes through the woods.

I found it's fairly difficult to see a white target that sits 150 yards into a forest, when shooting across a field.

But I'm learning... Im thinking I should get rid of this radial brake and pick up a side ported one. After every shot I only see smoke for a second, which hinders spotting a miss.

Steel head

Uncouth heathen
Belligerents
Aug 3, 2014
Washington
My last two 260 barrels never got the cold bore memo.

Cold bore shot for groups at 100 or a plate at 1125.
No problems.

As far as practice,,,,,,,,OP, I think it’s excellent practice.

Last edited:

tnichols

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
Good practice for sure. I’m able to shoot at home, so, a typical session is only 4-6 rounds. I do log all sessions and most importantly track and keep a tally of first round impacts, the most important in my mind. Closest target is 655 yards.

Reactions: Geno C.

codym

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2018
New Mexico
I do something similar to this with my bow. Hunting setup, max range one shot for a week. Very telling what your true max hunting distance is.

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Belligerents
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
I think it is a great idea and much more telling than shooting groups. In effect you are shooting a group over several days so that data is still there if you want it, but you are getting a more useful rel world practice than group shooting. Especially if you return the scope to zero, and vary the range. I think dot drills are more productive than group size. In real life, “group” size doesnt matter. POI vs POA is what really matters. Startimg from scratch everyday with such a drill tests the entire system, especially if you have the opportunity to move the plate before the next shot.

clcustom1911

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
Belligerents
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Kommiefornia
If you can swing it, do the one cold bore shot during different times of the day and log conditions if you can (temp, baro, humidity, angle of sun, etc.). Put ammo in the sun, shade, etc.

You're blessed to have the opportunity to do such awesome things.

Reactions: acudaowner

acudaowner

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
How do you only shoot one shot per day , isn't that almost impossible only one shot, pretty cool to have that ability , but only one shot per day . wake up resist the urge to shoot have breakfast again resist the urge to shoot lunch walk out set up do your stuff take shot ok put it away my head would explode if i could shoot only one shot a day sorry like having one Pringle and nibbling it for hours . It would be very cool to have 500 yards behind your house you could shoot from . you sir are very lucky .

Boon20

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
You should try different posisions too and log it that way when your out hunting you know what your limitations are for each position

bfk4lyfe

Belligerents
Jul 1, 2010

Check out this guys YouTube channel, this is his own test that he does for similar reasons as you.

magtech

Ole one eye
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
If I'm huntint true LR on an animal I really don't like to rush it. I'd rather have it relaxed...But I can see the benefit here. Maybe I'll try shooting off the golf cart as I'm cruising the field. Train like I hunt 😂.

Either way, looks like I have work to do now

THLR

Private
Belligerents
Nov 19, 2012
It's not a "one shot per day" regime, it is a "one shot gauge/evaluation". To shoot on cue regardless of conditions is different and I like to have a firm grasp on what my performance will be. It let's me do good risk assessments and I have a good understanding of my common errors and I can very quickly remove them.
And the 1 minute time limit doesn't reflect desired performance, it is just a very simple way to hammer all gear/tasks into a firm routine. 1 minute is generous enough to also allow for fixing fuckups. Here is another example:

Reactions: tnichols

magtech

Ole one eye
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
I let shooter app give me atmosphere, then I estimate the wind and put that in myself. It pulls the weather from the nearest weather station, but with me applying my own wind i usually do pretty well.

Kbh

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Central Texas
I think it's good practice. I have a metal pig about 8"x16" at 530 from my front porch I shoot from a tripod several days a week. Usually only 2 shots. We also have steel plates at 590, 640, 700, 750, 800, 1125 and 1390. I only allow myself 2 shots on each and fire cold bore at a different target each session. Its good practice but I also don't have to travel to a range.

Reactions: tnichols and tnc

lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Online Training Access
Apr 12, 2001
Base of the Rockies
www.snipershide.com
Actually, this is a good question for @lowlight

As an instructor, what is the optimal distance and target size you think is achievable by:

Top shooter
Average Shooter
Beginner
LE/Mil professional

Cold bore/cold shooter. What’s ideal for picking up rifle and hitting on command in reasonable conditions (I.e. not 20+ mph wind, pouring rain, etc).

Speaking on the LE side, I’d say 1moa out to 300, 33% ipsc from 300-600 and an ipsc from 600-1000. That would be bare minimum I’d strive for. Likely only take extremely precise shots <300yds, and man size targets from there.
The mantra we used to use for the students that came to Rifles Only was, Own everything inside 600m

For the military 600m is the danger space threshold for things like artillery. So if you can own any target that presents itself inside 600m you should be able to own the immediate battlefront

It's a good number to say what makes a marksman on my opinion.

Own everything inside 600m, head, body, half a head, only part of a body. The target size I would focus on is 1 MOA but with a 2 MOA buffer to register the variations better.

I want a slightly bigger target with an A zone or something identifiable to see where and by how much I might be missing.

Luke

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 29, 2002
Colorado
This is a good thread and has a lot of take-aways from it. While I don't have the luxury of shooting daily, whenever I am able to get out to long range I start my range session by setting up and taking a single cold bore shot at whatever distance seems reasonable for the conditions, record the impact/take notes, and then move on to whatever else I was planning on working on for that session. If the wind is calm I might make that initial cold bore at 800yds, or if it's gusting 20mph wind it might only be 500yds. Over time you'll learn the little nuances of wind or your cartridge and it really builds up your personal confidence and trust in your equipment when you can nail your target on demand with the first shot.

Kbh

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2017
Central Texas
We have steel from 150 to 1390 yards. From 300 - 800 most are 12" plates or 66% ipsc and a 100% ipsc at 1125. So some targets are 3 moa or larger at the closer distances. I generally shoot off the tripod from 540 and in and prone past that. I always try to keep my shots in a 1 moa area in the center but I like to have some leeway to spot my misses. As long as I'm inside that 1 moa up and down I'm good. If my misses are left and right that's just a bad wind call on my part.

Reactions: Boon20