Cleaning muzzle brake...?

jwood1284

Looking for a nice dasher boi to settle down with
Belligerents
Feb 15, 2017
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would contact APA. They suggest using it.
I know, they even have a youtube vid cleaning a SS brake in lemishine/water, but it doesn't mention any special care for the nitride coating. I wasn't too concerned, I just had my buddy cerakote it solid gold.

Danale147

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2019
I saw and wondered the exact same thing regarding APA's directions/recommendations, but sure enough I can see some pink hues just barely starting to form on my hellfire brake after using this method once. Nothing to go crazy about, but enough that it doesn't seem to be a method I want to continue with over time.

DMP

Mike
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2018
Northern Utah
I have only cleaned my LB once. Used a shot glass filled with Hopped. It soaked for two days. Used plenty of work with Qtips and a dental pick. No changes to the finish. I picked up some Lemishine but I won't use it after reading this thread

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2012
Somewhere in the US
I have only cleaned my LB once. Used a shot glass filled with Hopped. It soaked for two days. Used plenty of work with Qtips and a dental pick. No changes to the finish. I picked up some Lemishine but I won't use it after reading this thread
that must have been some weak hoppes!

antithesis

CLAPPED
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2019
West Desert, USA
Too much Lemishine / too long of a soak is corrosive. They only used a small amount for somewhere around 20 minutes if I remember correctly. I soaked my BN APA LB as per the video. It came out fine, just not clean. The surface did have a small amount of oxidation that if left for a long time would have looked pink.

A proper BN coating is impregnated into the steel. If the surface is worn, like what happens to a bolt, it is still protected even though the black is gone. I am not sure if loss of BN from improper chemical exposure is the same, but I suspect not.

hlee

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 14, 2012
TX
I have a brake I pulled off my Ruger precision rifle that I wanted to repurpose onto a different rifle. I dropped it into a cup of full strength CLR for 10 minutes. It bubbled pretty good for a while then tapered off. I thought it maybe squeaky clean when it came out. The CLR didn't really touch the carbon buildup. It knocked some off, but there's way more that remained. Well, carbon is not calcium, lime, or rust so I'm not that surprised. But, this little experiment reminded me that bluing IS rust. Yeah, it started to remove the finish on the brake. A brake doesn't need to be squeaky clean so I'm not really concerned. But, I'm not jumping on the CLR bandwagon for gun cleaning.