Can we talk about the AG Cup?

CV_Ag

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Everyone says it’s “boring to watch” but 10-20 years ago we had a pretty basic viewing of cars driving around in 500 circles and people whacking a little white ball 300 yards. It’s all subjective. I’d rather watch someone shoot. And guess what, it all has to start somewhere. What Tom is doing is new and thats what is needed to innovate new ideas and get others interested. Everyone seems to have such an awesome idea on how to improve something that hasn’t even happened yet and have very few details on what will actually happen. Stop your bitching and moaning and watch it, then next year you go do it better. Because Tom is the one going for it. It could be a huge flop, who knows. But at least it’s evolving into something new that’s never been done. I’m excited for it. Do I think I’ll ever get an invite? Not likely but that doesn’t make me less competitive to go try. It’ll be interesting to hear from all the shooters and get back stories on them and what not. Look at how podcasts have taken off in the recent years. Evolving and growing.

samb300

Anarchy Outdoors, Accuracy Obsession
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
A lot of people say it’s boring to watch because...well, it is. At least in its current state. Who cares what NASCAR or golf looked like 2 decades ago on TV! Many of the videos don’t even have cameras on the target, so you’re watching 90-120 seconds of someone walking up to a prop and pulling the trigger 10 times with no idea what they’re dialing, holding for wind, what their wobble zone is, or even if they hit the target outside of listening for the spotted calling impact. If you think that’s the way to excite and attract new viewers, how well do you think it will work if the participants in this sport don’t even find it fun to watch?

Obviously we don’t know what Tom has in store for the AG Cup, and I’m excited for it. Especially to see a more unrestricted COF and challenges for the top shooters in the sport. But that doesn’t mean it’s “bitching” to suggest something like scope cams would take the viewing experience to the next level.

I agree that hearing shooters’ backstories and learning about their thoughts/techniques for approaching particular stages sounds cool. And for the similarities to golf, I think a real-time score leaderboard will be cool, especially since there will only be a couple squads and will essentially be shooting the same stages at the same time.

kthomas

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 17, 2009
Houston, TX
Curious to see how this develops and how the match goes, and who comes out on top.

As for the precision rifle shooting becoming a spectator sport, I just don't see it happening. We are a very small segment/niche of the shooting world. Most people watching will have no clues of the intricacies and difficulties of the sport, will not be able to relate, and as such most to all stages will have no meaning or interest to them. Even for us that shoot the sport, it's still pretty damn boring to watch.

Cool on Tom and AG to put this together, especially since it's something he's been wanting to do for a while. Will it hit its mark? Guess that's TBD. Good on him for going through with it though.

RoterJager

The Red Hunter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 21, 2013
The Frozen Tundra
If you want to make this sport even remotely interesting to watch on TV it'd have to be a match like Mammoth or the SAC. At least there's a human element to those matches. The team dynamic and living out in the conditions for a few days would be interesting. Think of the shows like Alone or Nake and Afraid but with shooting.

I agree with @samb300 that a scope cam would be cool for a stage or two. But there's no way I'd be hanging a scope cam behind my ZCO for an entire match. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a $3600 optic. Especially with $40k on the line.

Mordamer

Professional Know It All
Belligerents
May 11, 2010
Hooker, OK
Just dealing with a star at distance makes me cringe - both as a shooter and as an RO. Oof.
I've always wanted to try a shooting star at distance. The logistics of resetting it might actually work at this match. I imagine there will be a lot of down time between each shooter. The star would have to be entirely built out of AR-500. It would be a lot of fun. I think a realistic engagement would be 300 yards with 8" plates on the star.

Hollywood 6mm

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
Flori-duh.
I've always wanted to try a shooting star at distance. The logistics of resetting it might actually work at this match. I imagine there will be a lot of down time between each shooter. The star would have to be entirely built out of AR-500. It would be a lot of fun. I think a realistic engagement would be 300 yards with 8" plates on the star.
I'm expecting very little down time between shooters, honestly.

Dthomas3523

Well Calloused Knees
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
It’s a cool idea for a niche match. Hopefully it happens every so often

As far as turning mainstream, not a chance. Zero, zilch, nada. You can’t compare it to any mainstream game or sport.

How entertaining do you think a casual non shooter would find it? You see a guy get into position, the gun recoils a little, then a target is hit.

Anyone who thinks this would be entertaining in a long term way to anyone who’s not a shooter, is giving into their individual interest of the game and not looking at it from the outside.

Again, awesome match. But it ain’t gonna push anything mainstream. Hell, just to get shooters a cash payout, they have to pony up $1k.

Also a side note......anyone who would be offended by a silhouette or using the term “shooter” wouldn’t give six shits about this match anyway.

Walmart stops selling ammo and the AG cup pulls silhouette......its all the same shit. Pandering to a soft society.

Reactions: WATERWALKER

Dthomas3523

Well Calloused Knees
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Everyone says it’s “boring to watch” but 10-20 years ago we had a pretty basic viewing of cars driving around in 500 circles and people whacking a little white ball 300 yards. It’s all subjective. I’d rather watch someone shoot. And guess what, it all has to start somewhere. What Tom is doing is new and thats what is needed to innovate new ideas and get others interested. Everyone seems to have such an awesome idea on how to improve something that hasn’t even happened yet and have very few details on what will actually happen. Stop your bitching and moaning and watch it, then next year you go do it better. Because Tom is the one going for it. It could be a huge flop, who knows. But at least it’s evolving into something new that’s never been done. I’m excited for it. Do I think I’ll ever get an invite? Not likely but that doesn’t make me less competitive to go try. It’ll be interesting to hear from all the shooters and get back stories on them and what not. Look at how podcasts have taken off in the recent years. Evolving and growing.
Totally apples to orange comparison. Comparing cars to shooters/bullets ain’t the right tree to bark at.

You like shooting because you’re a shooter and a fan. Don’t mistake that for how the general public would be interested.

Sometimes a hobby is just that, a hobby. And it won’t be anything else......and that’s perfectly ok.

WATERWALKER

0311 SHELLBACK
Belligerents
Apr 19, 2014
Deep in the Lone Star
Firstly, let me start by saying this is a badass idea. This is like Texas Hold’em on the gun range. Go big or not at all.

The people watching this sport are fellow shooters & people w/ an interest in shooting. Very few people who’re not into shooting will find this appealing. As for going mainstream? I’m not convinced it’ll happen but wish the best of luck to all involved.

Other things that may interest the public will play on the human side such as personal stories. A side match for best 5 shot group at 200 M may be appealing to outsiders as well. It would also behoove commentators to discuss positions & gear along w/ why a shooter is doing what he does.

We’re probably not going to gain any new shooters if you start talking about how much money we burn in rifles, optics & other ancillary gear & ammo.

I agree that it’s pretty weak not to call a “shooter” a shooter & to not have silhouettes on the COF. You’re not going to change the minds of those who don’t support 2A by not shooting humanoid targets.

Meety Peety

It's possible
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2017
San Diego
I think it's an interesting idea, but I am also interested in this type of shooting. Take this same concept and apply it to a trap shoot, 3 gun match, even hunting (there are a bunch of hunting shows already) and my interest level goes way down. Would I watch it for a while, sure.. but would it hook me in and catch my interest, not too sure. I think those disciplines are cool and I enjoy participating in them from time to time, but without a deep appreciation for all of the subtle technical aspects of the discipline, I think it would appeal to me less, because I'm not relating to it as much as I would be if I was really into that style of shooting and knew what to look for.

Just a side note, I'm thinking the targets better be awfully small because I just dont see average joe trap shooter who happens to actually be watching the outdoor channel (or whatever channel is airing this) watching 8 guys in a row clean a barricade stage and really knowing and appreciating what it takes to do so. It would probably be boring for most people, even shooters. Like watching golf if everyone was getting a hole in one.