Bushing firing pin

flyfisherman246

Private
Belligerents
May 26, 2017
I have read all I can find about how to bush a firing pin on a 700 bolt. Not seeing anything specific. Can someone explain what they use for the bushings? Is it a set screw? If so how long and what diameter/pitch. Is there a certain hardened type? Epoxy it in? Do you just drill the bolt, run a tap through it, epoxy the set screw in, turn it flush with the bolt face, drill/ream to .064"?

Also for the firing pin, how do you chuck that up and turn down to .062"? Isn't there a lot of flex turning something that small?

Anything advice you have to offer from those who have done this would be great. Thanks

Tucker65

Private
Belligerents
Nov 18, 2006
Astoria,Oregon
I'm interested in how this is done also. I have a couple of bolts that need this done and have the equipment to do it with. I'm just not quite sure of the best procedure to accomplish it is.

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
It's basically drilling a larger hole, and then sleeving it with a bushing that has a smaller hole.

I'm not sure if they still silver solder the bushing in these days, or if there's a new and improved method...

Honestly, I have the equipment as well, but for roughly $250 it's better to leave that headache to someone that has some experience in doing it. (At least to me it was.)

Reactions: Huskydriver

colchester

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2009
100 mi. east of Camp Perry
Ive used an 8-40 fillister head screw loctite into place. Turn it flush. drill and ream to proper size for your pin. You can turn the FP in the lathe of grind it with a spin fixture.

carlsbad

Private
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2013
Carlsbad CA
I bush a lot of firing pins. I use alloy screws with 170KSI yield strength. Never had a bushing job fail. Like others that do this, I don't share the details. I have repaired failed bushings done by others. If my bushing covers the old attempt, no extra charge. If I have to use an extra large bushing I charge an extra $50.

Last edited:

hic28

The Legman
Belligerents
Apr 2, 2017
I bush a lot of firing pins. I use alloy screws with 170KSI yield strength. Never had a bushing job fail. Like others that do this for a living, I don't share the details. I have repaired failed bushings done by others. If my bushing covers the old attempt, no extra charge. If I have to use an extra large bushing I charge an extra $50.
I can vouch for his work. 2nd to none. He’s down the street from me and has done a number of jobs that are stellar

Reactions: MarinePMI

carlsbad

Private
Belligerents
Feb 12, 2013
Carlsbad CA
Thanks for the kind words guys. Greg and Chad do great work too but I'm currently not building rifles so I don't have to fit bolt work in around other bigger projects so my turnaround time is much faster--usually less than a week. So if you need a bolt bushed, or an extractor installed/bolt face changed, shoot me a PM. --Jerry

powdahound76

Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 7, 2011
Denver CO
Im sure your work is good.

If you want to advertise your gunsmithing business here, be sure to contact Lowlight ASAP to sign up to do so.

LongRifles Inc.

Lance Criminal
Belligerents
Mar 14, 2010
Sturgis, S. Dakota
www.longriflesinc.com
Thanks for the kind words guys. Greg and Chad do great work too but I'm currently not building rifles so I don't have to fit bolt work in around other bigger projects so my turnaround time is much faster--usually less than a week. So if you need a bolt bushed, or an extractor installed/bolt face changed, shoot me a PM. --Jerry

We are a week or less as well. . .

Reactions: carlsbad