Brownells disappointing service after placing order

Average guy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
Is it just my luck or has Brownells got really lax about prompt shipping after you order. I’ve experienced this more often than not in the past 2 years. They blame it on order volume but something should have changed by now

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 3, 2010
FL
Mine have always shipped within a few days. I have Edge free shipping, don't know if thats making any difference...

mahlv

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2018
NV High Desert
I avoid brownells for the same reason. Their shipping has been horrible for as long as I can remember. I dont get along with their website very well either, just kindof a mess. I couldn't find a particular bullet once, got on their backorder, they shipped them eventually and I noticed they were 50% more than most other vendors. They could not have cared less when I contacted them about it.

Reactions: Average guy

Average guy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
I avoid brownells for the same reason. Their shipping has been horrible for as long as I can remember. I dont get along with their website very well either, just kindof a mess. I couldn't find a particular bullet once, got on their backorder, they shipped them eventually and I noticed they were 50% more than most other vendors. They could not have cared less when I contacted them about it.
I’ve had the same experience lately. They seem to be too worried about being big shots and not tending to business

sabrecross

Forever a Minuteman
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
DFW, Texas
No problem here. I've ordered thousands of dollars of stuff from them using their regular shipping service.

Sogan

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 11, 2013
No issues with Brownells yet and I love their return policy

GhostFace

Sergeant
Belligerents
Apr 1, 2003
Indiana
I keep hearing about delayed shipping but I have never experienced it myself. I am usually ordering about 5-6 times a year.

No problem here. I've ordered thousands of dollars of stuff from them using their regular shipping service.

Waorani

Belligerenati
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Auburn, AL
I've been buying from Brownells since long before they were on the internet. Their shipping has gotten real slow in the last couple of years but I blame it on the free shipping that seems to have become the norm. The slow double handling that comes with UPS/Fedex mail innovations is bad enough but they routinely take at least two days to get it out the door. But I guess that's part of what I'm agreeing to by using the free shipping option. Also had the Edge program for a couple of years but dropped it when they started the constant coupons. Believe Edge now includes free 2-day shipping and it might almost be worth it if I was ordering as much as in the past. And as long as I'm bitching, the discounts are pretty much eaten up by state tax these days.

davsco

Private
Belligerents
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
brownell's is my most-used supplier by a long shot, really no issues, including the couple of things i returned.

Bradu

Belligerents
Aug 24, 2011
IL
I can't complain about my experiences with them, for the most part I have had quick processing and shipping.

MarinePMI

Battery Operated Grunt
Belligerents
Jun 3, 2010
San Diego, Ca
Just placed an order on Saturday, and it shipped Monday. Will arrive today. I think it's hit or miss with the delayed shipping honestly (it's happened to me as well). I do like the new "What shipper do you prefer" option, since FedEx seems the quickest in my area.

Reactions: 1J04

blbennett1288

de·plor·a·ble
Belligerents
Apr 24, 2017
Hoover, Alabama
I have had pretty good experiences with Brownells Customer Service. They usually ship the following day after I place my order; worst case 2 days.

I bought an item from them when they were running a promotion. They charged me full price, I called, the refunded the difference, no issues.

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
ive been ordering for brownells for the last 15yrs and have never had a problem other than 1x recently but i dont really care because they have always been fast and on top of things...i also have the edge account and its worth every penny to get small parts next day or 2day free.

all that said they are like every other company in the country right now....way to much work and not enough ppl to get ity done.

Reactions: MarinePMI

Campguy308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2018
NE Texas
I have experienced the slow shipping, but otherwise happy. They used to do a killer deal...free shipping and .01 hazmat fee, but haven't seen that in a while

Sogan

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 11, 2013
I have experienced the slow shipping, but otherwise happy. They used to do a killer deal...free shipping and .01 hazmat fee, but haven't seen that in a while
Had that about a week ago. Ordered some primers

McReef

I don’t remember saying that...
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
North of South
Have had the same experience lately. Wait a few days, contacted them, no response, contacted again, got what amounts to “we are busy, deal with it”, I’m done with them. Probably should be buying more local and from smaller businesses anyway. I like a deal, but don’t mind paying a couple bucks extra to help out those that help back...

Reactions: Average guy

rth1800

Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
I have used them since the mid 70's and no issues. I live a state away so that might help a bit.

Reactions: LG65CM

Badfinger

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2013
Dayton, OH Area
I don’t shop them that often and I won't stop using them but I went back to check my last order and it took 3 days to send the order ( Sinclair mandrel) and I paid economy shipping. It took a total of 9 days from order to delivery???? What the hell is up with economy shipping? Do they pass it back and forth to hitchhikers? 😲

Reactions: lawofsavage

EXTREMEPREJUDICE

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 21, 2008
SE MICHIGAN
They are a good source with a wide variety but my experience with them is that their shipping has always been slow. And for heavens sake, don't wait on their backorders!

Soulezoo

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2018
Also a multi decade customer. I too have noticed slow shipping. I have a small order in now for tempilaq and a box of bullets. Both in stock. I ordered Tuesday mid day. It has yet to ship. Glad I'm not in a hurry.
Midwayusa on the other hand either has a tracking number that day or the next morning latest.

The King

Showercookie Monster
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Much worse - the United States Postal Service. Hitchhikers would kick their ass for delivery times

I don’t shop them that often and I won't stop using them but I went back to check my last order and it took 3 days to send the order ( Sinclair mandrel) and I paid economy shipping. It took a total of 9 days from order to delivery???? What the hell is up with economy shipping? Do they pass it back and forth to hitchhikers? 😲

• Haha
Reactions: Badfinger

hot loads B==D - - -
Belligerents
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
I avoid UPS Mail Innovations and FedEx Smart Post or whatever it’s called like the plague. Stuff takes forever to get since the package gets handed off to the USPS.

PatMiles

Private
Belligerents
Feb 25, 2017
Brownells became my last resort after a somewhat heated discussion regarding a long delay in shipping one of my orders. The lady finally explained that the "free shipping" orders get placed behind rush orders (overnight, 2nd day) that came in after mine because those folks were paying extra. Notice I said that these orders were placed AFTER mine. I was also told that in some cases the free shipping orders were slipped back more than once, maybe three times thus I would guess the 4-5 day lag in shipping.

• Wow
Reactions: Badfinger

Spblademaker

Don’t tell my wife
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2017
Brownells shipping selection now has these choices:

Flat rate, 2nd day, screw Average guy, 1 day air, .....

Winny94

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 19, 2013
spent literally thousands there the past few years. outside of the "bubble" times, i always get it shipping w/in 24 hours. Not sure where you're located that causing the issue, but between coupon codes, shipping time, and the return policy (which i also take advantage of quite a bit), I dont see how someone like Midway, CTD, etc compare

spife7980

Luchador
Belligerents
Feb 10, 2017
Central TX
fyi, add a small, cheap box of .22 ammo to your order and you avoid the USPS.
(shhhhhhhh. You can also change the free shipping from the default 5-7 or 7-10 to the preferred 3-5 option usually. I imagine the complainers just didnt take the time to look at what they had selected, which, of course, is the cheapest option to the shipper when they offer it for free)

Reactions: 47guy

lawofsavage

Deplorable
Belligerents
Jul 13, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I stopped using them when they started charging tax. Would much rather pay 5% more to people I know and am friends with locally haha but it is tempting sometimes like sales on geissele triggers and things

Lthrt

Jedi Knight
Belligerents
Apr 28, 2017
West Des Moines, IA
Love Brownells. I first check the SH Post Exchange, If I can't find an item on here, 13 hours later after getting completely caught up on Maggies Drawers threads, I then check Brownells.
Best selection of products in the US and their mil/Le discount (I think) is based on the manufacturer, I.E. their actual cost. Example: I got a set up flip up AR sights for 35% off. And when they do clearance, they do clearance. Double gun rifle case for $30 that was originally marked $150.

davsco

Private
Belligerents
Jan 1, 2014
NoVa
To be clear, they didn't start charging tax on a whim, the SCOTUS ruled that they are now required to charge tax.
they're not adding sales tax, at least in my state. trying to stock up as i know it is coming sooner or later. buying now saves 5-6% state tax.

Reactions: spife7980

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Sep 3, 2010
FL
It's all about expectations...
Amazon has changed that for many, but I keep it all in perspective.
We're so used to having shit in our hands in one or two days, it's become the "expectation" for many.

I get that stuff breaks, and there's always something unexpected, but for me- it's really a matter of being better organized in the shop and not waiting until the last minute to order. Their "economy" shipping is pretty much bullshit- taking a week to get from date shipped, which is why I went to Edge. Like Amazon, I buy enough from them to justify the cost and faster 2-day shipping.

Supersubes

Snafu
Belligerents
Sep 6, 2006
Rural Nevada
For those of you not doing their Edge program, you probably should. Free 2 days shipping(what they call it), usually ships in a day or two, which turns into three or 4 days to my door. I live in a rural area as well. I place two orders a week generally, which means Ive paid for the Edge by the second or third week. It’s nice to be able to order one chicken shit spring or pin and not pay shipping for it.

I’m not super enamored with the website, and the prices have been escalating some. Lots of options though. Do write them a nastygram and let them know what’s pissing you off. Nothing will change if you don’t.

Edit: My most recent order was placed 6 am yesterday morning, shipped today at 10 am, arrives Monday.

Last edited:

hot loads B==D - - -
Belligerents
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
Tested the water today and placed an order for a BCG around 0900 hrs and used the free shipping code and picked the quickest free method. Checked my order status tonight and it shows shipped. In good fashion I’ll prob get the tracking number late tonight early morning.

Cerwinski

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
I avoid UPS Mail Innovations and FedEx Smart Post or whatever it’s called like the plague. Stuff takes forever to get since the package gets handed off to the USPS.

It really sucks. My latest "free shipping" order is MIA in USPS limbo.

Average guy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
Glad to see some people are being taken care of. For now I’m going elsewhere for most things. It’s just happened like 5 times in a row. When I emailed my issue I never even received a response.

Dthomas3523

Edge hit......flasher not working
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I think we are getting a bit spoiled. Unless you pay for expedited shipping or they quote you a ship date, ~1 week or less to get something shipped isn’t that big a deal.

We want made in America, shipped next day, and to be able to talk to a human when we call........and we want it as cheap as possible.

Reactions: LG65CM

Average guy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
I think we are getting a bit spoiled. Unless you pay for expedited shipping or they quote you a ship date, ~1 week or less to get something shipped isn’t that big a deal.

We want made in America, shipped next day, and to be able to talk to a human when we call........and we want it as cheap as possible.
I paid for expedited shipping. Just a 4 day wait for them to get it in the mail. I’ve waited up to 10 days. I basically wasted the money on shipping because they fucked around getting the order out.

Dthomas3523

Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I paid for expedited shipping. Just a 4 day wait for them to get it in the mail. I’ve waited up to 10 days. I basically wasted the money on shipping because they fucked around getting the order out.
You likely paid for faster shipping time, not expedited shipping. Two different things.

If you paid for actual expedited shipping, did you ask for a refund on this service?

Dthomas3523

Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I.E. when you pay for “3day shipping” you are NOT paying to have it there in 3 days from the time you order it. You are paying for 3 guaranteed 3 days from the time it ships.

SPAK

Stupid can be fixed
Belligerents
Apr 3, 2009
Alaska
I order from Brownells multiple times a month. I am an edge member and for me it pays off to do so. Free 2 day shipping and my orders sometimes arrive before I get the chance to call them to cancel because someone changed their mind about a part of component they wanted... no issues here.

If you don’t like the service they are not the only game in town.

Rlandry

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
I only use Brownells if I can't find it elsewhere, or if it's a Sinclair product, since they are the sole distributors. Their shipping is slow, and unless you have an account with them, you are paying full retail. The account gets the price of some(not all) items down to where you could buy it somewhere else. Just everyone else ships same or next day.

Average guy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
I.E. when you pay for “3day shipping” you are NOT paying to have it there in 3 days from the time you order it. You are paying for 3 guaranteed 3 days from the time it ships.
Pretty sad we have to pay for what other companies provide for free. Either way I believe they need to step their game up a notch. In a couple years they have gone from my go to supplier to usually the last place I look