Beware,... GPS spoofing has arrived

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
But don’t worry, your electronic money is perfectly safe...
Well I'm out on that as I don't put any value in any kind of "Money" an never have. Skill sets an tangible assets are "Money" in the bank to me. I was warned by kin that went threw the depression from start to finish that money was but a control tool. If you can't put your hands on your money an it's of major value/key to your survive ability your nothing but a pawn to be controlled. I laugh at those who think the next major down turn will be peaceful, as we have a large percentage that lives hand to mouth via tax money now who have never known "without or what hungry is about" but they will before long,...Laughing. When you dig your own hole see the hand writing on the wall an keep digging, please allow me to help you,...Laughing

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Makes you wonder how to US Navy ships hit/get hit by container ships.

E. Bryant

Gearhead
Belligerents
Oct 25, 2010
MI
Fuck any country that deliberately messes with maritime navigation. China, Russia, whomever. Any country behaving accordingly should be shown the door and asked not to come back until they can play nicely with others.

Makes you wonder how to US Navy ships hit/get hit by container ships.
Best that I can tell by the official reports, it's the same way that people have stupid car accidents and get lost in the woods - not paying attention to the task at hand. Over-reliance on GPS is merely stupid if you are a hiker, but it's downright criminally negligent if you're driving a large ship.

So, in the spirit of exploiting opportunities, who here has played with GPS spoofing? It's something that I've heared discussed, but never acted upon.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie

Gunfighter14e2

Rusty Nail
Belligerents
Jul 9, 2002
Alabama
eHam.net
Fuck any country that deliberately messes with maritime navigation. China, Russia, whomever. Any country behaving accordingly should be shown the door and asked not to come back until they can play nicely with others.

Best that I can tell by the official reports, it's the same way that people have stupid car accidents and get lost in the woods - not paying attention to the task at hand. Over-reliance on GPS is merely stupid if you are a hiker, but it's downright criminally negligent if you're driving a large ship.

So, in the spirit of exploiting opportunities, who here has played with GPS spoofing? It's something that I've heared discussed, but never acted upon.
Well, before retirement at work we kicked around a few things related to Sat timing on cell sights, an that conversation lead to a few other areas.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
This is an example of why I always tell people, The more you really know about computers and technology, the less you trust it.

The current generation would probably walk off a cliff if their cell phone map told them that the road was there and just continue on...

People seem to attach this god like trust to what their computers and electronics are telling them, without bothering to ask if that really is the case and how can I verify it.

W54/XM-388

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 1, 2005
Dallas, TX
The same reason I laugh when people tell me that computers will be replacing pilots in the near future. The Airbus couldn't even pass it's own type rating!
Well we have seen Computers helping to crash planes very effectively from both Airbus and Boeing.

In most cases supposedly the new "advanced" systems were designed to let the airlines "save money" by using less trained and qualified pilots as well as not spend as much building the planes and extra redundant systems.

Longshot85

Incognito
Belligerents
Jan 19, 2011
Thanks for sharing

There's really no end in sight as to what we will see (or won't) unveiled as time goes on

I agree with the idea of knowing a vast array of skills that are permanent in your brain and body ......not requiring any device or access to the internet

If any logical person looks in the right spot....you'll find a legitimate rabbit hole .....some are VERY deep

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
The geo-position aspect is one of the issues that is critical but there is another and it is no less important. GPS time is used by all systems these days as the true master clock. GPS provides a 1 pps clock that is used by networked communication systems for a variety of internal timing/external synchronization tasks. Lose that and most modern, networked communication systems fall apart. Targeting systems also rely on this for synchronization.

Even cellular / mobile phone networks are relying on it more and more. It is much less expensive than buying rubidium standards. These devices are now becoming an emergency backup should GPS go down.

We are no longer in the pure vacuum tube, analog world. In many respects, that was a fun time.

Crang

AJ Didnt Kill Himself
Belligerents
Apr 13, 2006
Texas Hills
Ive been wanting to add a multi constellation nav unit for awhile now. Some of the newer ones do GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, and Gallileo simultaneously. Pretty freaking slick. When I was flying I used VORS in the cockpit to good effect. Would imagine a modern aviation handheld has that capability and could be used as a backup. For those near the coast perhaps LORAN-C. My undertsnading is there is a renewed interest in it as its impossible to jam over large areas.

Last edited:

Snuby642

Old Salt
Belligerents
Feb 11, 2017
Do they maintain lowran c still ?

Some inexpensive gps units lock on to 5-7 satellites if available?
A signal strong enough to wipe that out should not be hard to find?