Best Off-Road 4x4

beenjammin

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, we can get the Ford Raptor here, but tbh haven’t seen many in the outback.

I have a friend that had a 70 series Landcruiser & now owns a new Ford Ranger and he said the cruiser was better in the hard stuff. Not sure how different the Raptor ranger is from the Ranger though. Cheers
That’s right you guys have the ranger raptor. There ya go! .... I’m a ford guy

Reactions: BCX and AMGtuned

HayStax

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
In Australia the only choice for me would be LandCruiser 70 Series double cab with tray and canopy. Probably pretty spendy but they make me drool. Check out Shannon’s Engineering and Outback Customs on Instagram.

Ranger Raptor would be worth a look, but regular Ranger with diesel may be a good option.

I’m pretty damn happy with my ‘18 Raptor. The first 1500 miles I put on it were dirt roads and elk hunting. The first scratch is the worst scratch, the rest don’t matter. It’s been a joy to drive in the mountains, snow, and sand in Pismo a few weeks ago. I put an ARE topper on it for winter for dry and secure ski storage. The topper made me scared to jump it though, didn’t want to buy a new rear window

I own a couple Superduty Powerstrokes, a ‘78 F-250, and a FJ40. Raptor is the most fun and pretty capable in all situations I’ve put it in. I like the 3.5 EB, but I guess it’s not cool enough for most people so Ford is putting the new 7.3 V8 in the new ones. When that happens I bet there will be some good deals on very capable used 3.5s here

Raptor conversation has zero bearing on Australian vehicle choices but I thought I would offer my 2cents

Reactions: Simia Dei

AMGtuned

Just white trash with money.....
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Maine
In Australia the only choice for me would be LandCruiser 70 Series double cab with tray and canopy. Probably pretty spendy but they make me drool. Check out Shannon’s Engineering and Outback Customs on Instagram.

Ranger Raptor would be worth a look, but regular Ranger with diesel may be a good option.

I’m pretty damn happy with my ‘18 Raptor. The first 1500 miles I put on it were dirt roads and elk hunting. The first scratch is the worst scratch, the rest don’t matter. It’s been a joy to drive in the mountains, snow, and sand in Pismo a few weeks ago. I put an ARE topper on it for winter for dry and secure ski storage. The topper made me scared to jump it though, didn’t want to buy a new rear window

I own a couple Superduty Powerstrokes, a ‘78 F-250, and a FJ40. Raptor is the most fun and pretty capable in all situations I’ve put it in. I like the 3.5 EB, but I guess it’s not cool enough for most people so Ford is putting the new 7.3 V8 in the new ones. When that happens I bet there will be some good deals on very capable used 3.5s here

Raptor conversation has zero bearing on Australian vehicle choices but I thought I would offer my 2cents
Raptor will be available with the supercharged GT500 engine in the very near future here in the states.....that will be the cats pajamas. But no, none of it has any bearing on Australian vehicles.

HayStax

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Raptor will be available with the supercharged GT500 engine in the very near future here in the states.....that will be the cats pajamas. But no, none of it has any bearing on Australian vehicles.
Rumored to be available with that motor. I’m not sure it will happen but it would be nuts!

I’m pretty happy with 450hp and 600+ mile range on a tank of gas. The mileage trade-off for 700hp would be a negative for me. I must be getting old

Reactions: AMGtuned

BCX

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
Rumored to be available with that motor. I’m not sure it will happen but it would be nuts!

I’m pretty happy with 450hp and 600+ mile range on a tank of gas. The mileage trade-off for 700hp would be a negative for me. I must be getting old
Look in to N-Guage w 5-star custom tunes, im running just about 550hp 610 ft lbs torque w 5-star 93 octane performance tune on my 19 Raptor.

Rec1er

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2019
Just after recommendations for the best off-road 4x4.

It will be used for off-road LRS, hunting and fishing in some rough Australian conditions, including the outback & coastal beaches.

After something reliable & durable enough so I don't get stuck out in the Nullabor. Currently considering the Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux, but open to other options. More inclined to cab chasis or ute so I have the room to store the firearms etc.
Nothing beats a Landcruiser for rough outback work , the numbers already being used far outweigh anything else which says it all.

Reactions: ZG47A

Nitrosteel

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
GA
I’m with your initial thoughts - Landcruiser or Hilux. Depending on availability and budget.

IronOperator87

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
+1 on the Toyota pick-up just for the reliability. Have had ford, Chevy, dodge and I’m going Toyota next.

HayStax

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2018
Look in to N-Guage w 5-star custom tunes, im running just about 550hp 610 ft lbs torque w 5-star 93 octane performance tune on my 19 Raptor.
That’s a pretty healthy gain! Turbo engines are fun to play with, how much boost?

BCX

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
n-guage says 20.8 the highest i have seen.

Ankeny

Private
Belligerents
Aug 11, 2009
The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is available here, but are they as reliable as a Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux?
I have used Jeeps for serious off-roading for decades. My current Jeep is a 4 door JL Rubicon. The Rubicon is surprisingly capable, but way too much technology and bull shit gizmos. I have had my Jeep back to the dealer for issues with the electronic power steering, auto set parking brake, and auto start/stop within the first 6,000 miles. On the flip side, I have had zero issues with my 10 year old Tundra with the exception of worn out low tire pressure indicator units. Go figure.

As mentioned, the Raptor is more of a dirt/desert racer. The best serious off-road full size pick-up is without a doubt the Dodge Power Wagon, but it' a Dodge,;)

BCX

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
Are you buying a new vehicle? If so buy a new Yota than build it up for Overland. Buy a base Tacoma 4x4 send it to ARB. Camburg Long travel, 35s, gears, snorkel, Bud Built skids, front rear lockers, front bumper and winch. Call it a day...,