Barrel life on the 224 Valkyrie ?

Bratcher02

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
Elizabeth, IN
I know in the passed frank talked about talking to JP I think about cutting a barrel open to look at the rifling on a 224 Valkyrie. I think said they didn’t want to yet as it had 6000 rounds on it and still shooting good. Wondering if anyone had any update on this ?

lash

Swamp Rat
Belligerents
Sep 28, 2012
Central Florida
Yes. And No...

It depends.

I don’t know that there are enough data points yet, though I’m game to hear of actual experiences from those that have actually shot out a .224V barrel.

A.Bennett

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2018
I know Frank talked about it having good results, has anyone played with it? I'm contemplating getting one in a bolt action.

Bratcher02

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
Elizabeth, IN
I had a AR 2000 rounds threw it did fine out too 1100 yards out of my 22” barrel with 1-7” twist so now I had a barrel for my bighorn tl3 and it’s even better don’t have as many rounds down the tube on it yet but only thing I feel the Valkyrie lacks is good match grade brass but still getting good results with starline only primer pockets that hold up some what good

acudaowner

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
have one 224 it's a gas gun and slowly approaching 4k in rounds fired , all is well so far . I have also thought about getting a bolt version . as much as i try to slow myself in between shots , its still far too easy with a gas gun to start shooting a bit faster than I wanted to . I Figured the bolt would force that with me at least to slow down . On range day still using 2x's the ammo as I do with my 308 bolt gun and if someone else is shooting it that number spikes , It's still a blast .

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Mar 13, 2013
Southeastern, Pennsylvania
Generally your going to see more rounds down a cut rifled barrel before it craps out vs a button. I am currently shooting a 223V button that's shooting lights out with 88's at max pressure without trashing brass 2800. We will see how long it lasts.

Bartlein has 2 blanks on the way for my 224v and 220TB reviews so I will have buttons and cut rifled barrels in both these calibers to see how long they each last....

Reactions: MarinePMI