Athlon Optics -New Reticle for 2018

Just purchased the Ares BTR so looking forward to a real world test in hunting conditions. The glass is excellent for the money and I love the features. The turrets are a little less defined than I would like so hoping the new range of ETR scopes have fixed that.
Great to see that a company is listening to its fans!

That ETR is definitely coming my way when I can afford one!!

Triple D

Trigger Monkey
But, aside from the locking turret, has the feel and resistance of the turrets been addressed? That was the biggest knock I had against the Ares BTR. Taking a Midas and making it FFP with the same turret design but 10mil made the turrets feel too soft.

digging the new reticle

:)
For 2018 Athlon has announced some outstanding additions to their already impressive line of Riflescopes , and have priced them well below competitive offerings from other manufacturers:

Ares ETR (Tactical)
212100 4.5-30x50, Direct Dial, Side Focus, 34mm, APRS1 FFP IR MIL Reticle $1,199.99
212101 4.5-30x50, Direct Dial, Side Focus, 34mm, APRS2 FFP IR MOA Reticle $1,199.99
212100B 4.5-30x50, Direct Dial, Side Focus, 34mm, APRS1 FFP IR MIL Reticle (Brown) $1,199.99
212101B 4.5-30x50, Direct Dial, Side Focus, 34mm, APLR2 FFP IR MOA Reticle (Brown) $1,199.99
Doug, I believe your specs are wrong as Athlon's website lists these scopes as 4.5-30x56, that is with a 56mm objective and not a 50mm objective as you show.

Also, my question has not yet been answered as to what the Athlon "Brown" color most closely matches in the Cerakote color palette, thank you.

Nice to see that Athlon is very concerned with customer feedback and making customers what they want.. Would have been nice to see this center dot tree reticle in their Cronus BTR line... I would love to see Vortex wake up and put their EBR-7B reticle into their gen2 Razor, but according to the email I got back from them the other day, they responded that they didn't know of any plans of that for now but they would forward it to the product development department.. They better watch out, Athlon is really starting to make some real strides...

Nice to see that Athlon is very concerned with customer feedback and making customers what they want.. Would have been nice to see this center dot tree reticle in their Cronus BTR line... I would love to see Vortex wake up and put their EBR-7B reticle into their gen2 Razor, but according to the email I got back from them the other day, they responded that they didn't know of any plans of that for now but they would forward it to the product development department.. They better watch out, Athlon is really starting to make some real strides...
That's disappointing to hear about the EBR-7B. Maybe I'll have to get an Athlon finally afterall...

Cronus BTR never used a Pantone code. the closest is 462U
Ares ETR is 872U.

Hope this helps

Doug, I believe your specs are wrong as Athlon's website lists these scopes as 4.5-30x56, that is with a 56mm objective and not a 50mm objective as you show.

Also, my question has not yet been answered as to what the Athlon "Brown" color most closely matches in the Cerakote color palette, thank you.

Indeed the Cronus Tactical 7-42x60 has got my interest, I wonder if my Sig Kilo can mount on it, that would be very compelling... https://athlonoptics.com/product/cro...al-7-42x60-ed/
Very interesting. I had actually checked their site some time back hoping for a spotter with a reticle. I just picked up a new Bushy LMSS, and the Athlon looks to be a near-exact clone although heavier. I like the reticle, and would have considered it vs the (overpriced on normal retail IMO) Bushnell, although the LMSS is pretty solid.

Very much looking forward to seeing street price on this spotter as well as comparisons with the Bushnell.

PS - looks like their docs could use work, though. Clicking to the reticle doc talks about their Gold medel warrantee. Umm.

THIS JUST SUCKS! I got my Ares BTR a couple months ago and am very happy with it. It has worked just fine for me in my last 3 monthly club matches.

Now instead of just saving for a spotter now I'm looking at another scope AND a spotter. I wonder if Athlon will do a trade in ... or will swap out my reticle for the new one. I'm really liking that floating dot.

Time to start saving quarters dimes and penny's again.

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
Very interesting. I had actually checked their site some time back hoping for a spotter with a reticle. I just picked up a new Bushy LMSS, and the Athlon looks to be a near-exact clone although heavier. I like the reticle, and would have considered it vs the (overpriced on normal retail IMO) Bushnell, although the LMSS is pretty solid.

Very much looking forward to seeing street price on this spotter as well as comparisons with the Bushnell.

PS - looks like their docs could use work, though. Clicking to the reticle doc talks about their Gold medel warrantee. Umm.
The Cronus Tactical spotter is an entirely new optical design, so it is very different from LMSS internally.

I had some limited input on the reticle and I think it will work very well in this application. If it can pull off both 7x and 42x well, it will be very impressive and will do well for Athlon.

ILya

The Cronus Tactical spotter is an entirely new optical design, so it is very different from LMSS internally.

I had some limited input on the reticle and I think it will work very well in this application. If it can pull off both 7x and 42x well, it will be very impressive and will do well for Athlon.

ILya
Interesting - thanks, Ilya. I had assumed it was a 're-brand' from the same mfgr as the Bushnell, but either way am looking forward to the comparison. I like the LMSS but am so-so on their reticle, so assuming the new Athlon spotter performs well, it should be a nice reasonably priced (vs LMSS, Leupold, etc.) spotter with what looks to be a solid reticle.

I've sold several of the Ares BTR 4.5-27X50 mil scopes to friends & customers, and so far, the only negative comment I've gotten back was that one of the guys was having a problem in that his windage knob is liable to get rotated as he pulls the rifle out of his case. Sounds like Athlon has addressed this issue with a locking windage knob on the ETR. I thought I read somewhere that the latest Ares BTR has a capped windage turret, but haven't been able to find that statement again, either on the Athlon website, or here. I've pre-ordered a few of the new ETR versions, and am looking forward to comparing one of them to the Ares BTRs I have on my own rifles.