Athlon Ares BTR - $399-$425 @ MidwayUSA

Tyler Kemp

Print Daddy
Commercial Supporter
Belligerents
Aug 23, 2008
MO
mkmachining.com
Haven’t had a chance to run the 4.5-27 yet. Still need a mount.

No experience with the Diamondback Tactical, but it’s normal price is 399. This Athlon is normally over 800 and is only marked down because they are blowing them out. Something tells me they’re not in the same class.
The Ares BTR is WAY better than the Diamondback. Coming from a dealer of both. Diamondback looks cool, meh glass, ok turrets, cannot speak to tracking. Ares has pretty good glass, killer at this price. Turrets also just ok, decent with a bit of touching up.

stilesg57

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2007
NRA Headquarters
Yep, def better. I let a friend of mine who knows nothing about scopes look through both, side by side, and did not prompt him. He stated the Athlon was def brighter, clearer, and sharper.
I did the same with my girlfriend who hates all things gun-related but is into photography. Completely unprejudiced she thought the Ares glass was better than the SWFA. She also said of the Athlon “all those little marks look dumber than the simple cross in other one” :)

This scope is a good, competitive option at $800. Under $450 it’s just a damn no-brainer. I’m halfway tempted to get the 2.5-15x and sell off an SWFA or Leupold or two...

Reactions: Cy Rosenlund

ToddM

Philanthropist
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jul 1, 2008
PA
I picked one up as a .22 scope, pretty hard to argue with for $425 and for that price I'm not disappointed. As others have mentioned the view gets pretty hazy/milky as you go from 20x to 27x but it's certainly useable. Turrets are not great, but not horrible, I haven't looked but I'd imagine mine have the o-rings by the feel. The eyebox was also extremely critical at higher mag. I had a couple PST gen 2 5-25's out as well so I could look at them side by side. I did not tall target test it, but dialed it around a lot and it seemed to yield repeatable results every time.

Perhaps I got a bad sample, one thing I noticed was that when I set the reticle fast focus looking at a flat white wall, then went to the range and set parallax so the reticle was not moving while moving my head at 100 yards, the target and reticle were not in their best focus together. I could get them both into best focus but never without parallax issues at that distance. Perhaps I just was not setting the focus precise enough since it changes pretty rapidly. I decided to shoot with with a slightly out of focus target, but no parallax issue.

Overall, if the price was not taken into account, these seem to sell for about $850 most places, and the vortex PST gen 2 5-25 is about $1000 (again sales not taken into account) and at least for the copy I have, I'd pay that $150 to get the Gen 2 every time. It's much better optically over 20x, the turrets are better, the zero stop is easier to set, the illumination is brighter, and it was easier to get the reticle/target both into good focus without parallax. The PST Gen 2 just feels overall like a step or two up in quality, the Ares BTR feels much more like the old Bushnell 5-15 tactical with more features, which isn't a horrible thing they were good scopes. If I had paid $850 for it, compared to a PST Gen 2 for $1000, it would already be on it's way back for a refund. But for $425 it's a lot of scope for the $.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1J04

Spblademaker

Don’t tell my wife
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Oct 24, 2017
I did the same with my girlfriend who hates all things gun-related but is into photography. Completely unprejudiced she thought the Ares glass was better than the SWFA. She also said of the Athlon “all those little marks look dumber than the simple cross in other one” :)

This scope is a good, competitive option at $800. Under $450 it’s just a damn no-brainer. I’m halfway tempted to get the 2.5-15x and sell off an SWFA or Leupold or two...
FYI, your relationship is doomed.

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
Hessian
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
Sou-East Texas
Do those of you who have the 2.5-15x50 see any tunneling at low magnification? Anybody had a chance to compare it to the PST II 3-15x44?

Kwing

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2019
FYI, your relationship is doomed.
My girlfriend actually came to my dorm sooner than expected yesterday and came with me to the gun store for "ammo." I walked out with ammo... but also a 6.5 creedmoor... she took it better than I thought.

But anyways... anyone recommend scope caps for the 4.5-27x50 and what size? Would be nice to have one that has has a dope card with it.

Reactions: 1J04 and TACC

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ
I picked one up as a .22 scope, pretty hard to argue with for $425 and for that price I'm not disappointed. As others have mentioned the view gets pretty hazy/milky as you go from 20x to 27x but it's certainly useable. Turrets are not great, but not horrible, I haven't looked but I'd imagine mine have the o-rings by the feel. The eyebox was also extremely critical at higher mag. I had a couple PST gen 2 5-25's out as well so I could look at them side by side. I did not tall target test it, but dialed it around a lot and it seemed to yield repeatable results every time.

Perhaps I got a bad sample, one thing I noticed was that when I set the reticle fast focus looking at a flat white wall, then went to the range and set parallax so the reticle was not moving while moving my head at 100 yards, the target and reticle were not in their best focus together. I could get them both into best focus but never without parallax issues at that distance. Perhaps I just was not setting the focus precise enough since it changes pretty rapidly. I decided to shoot with with a slightly out of focus target, but no parallax issue.

Overall, if the price was not taken into account, these seem to sell for about $850 most places, and the vortex PST gen 2 5-25 is about $1000 (again sales not taken into account) and at least for the copy I have, I'd pay that $150 to get the Gen 2 every time. It's much better optically over 20x, the turrets are better, the zero stop is easier to set, the illumination is brighter, and it was easier to get the reticle/target both into good focus without parallax. The PST Gen 2 just feels overall like a step or two up in quality, the Ares BTR feels much more like the old Bushnell 5-15 tactical with more features, which isn't a horrible thing they were good scopes. If I had paid $850 for it, compared to a PST Gen 2 for $1000, it would already be on it's way back for a refund. But for $425 it's a lot of scope for the $.
Just so you guys know, and might have guessed already, but the Ares BTR's were designed to compete and exceed the Gen 1 PST. I think it met that goal.

The Gen 2 Ares BTR, if one comes out???, should compete well with the Gen 2 PST. The Ares ETR does that already.

As I always mention, that APLR3 .2 mil reticle in the Ares BTR's is one of my favorite, it's hard to come by an all .2 mil reticle in scopes this inexpensive. Hope Athlon doesn't ditch it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dopedude

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2019
Well I got the two 4.5-27x50mil/mil that I ordered last Friday, let’s just say I was not impressed when I opened up the first one and saw ring marks. I then tried to run through the elevation and hit a zero stop half way which tells me some one had it long enough to zero it and set the stop. Well the good news is they both had the updated turrets with coin slots, but they still suck and we all knew that prior to ordering them. So buyer beware this is why they are on clearance for half price.

TACC

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
I was under the impression they were new not refurbished scopes

Dopedude

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2019
I was under the impression they were new not refurbished scopes
I was too, I’m going to reach out to them tomorrow and see what they say. I’m sure they will exchange it for another one, but just so everyone is aware. P

Farmerdanss

Im actually a painter now
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2018
Well I got the two 4.5-27x50mil/mil that I ordered last Friday, let’s just say I was not impressed when I opened up the first one and saw ring marks. I then tried to run through the elevation and hit a zero stop half way which tells me some one had it long enough to zero it and set the stop. Well the good news is they both had the updated turrets with coin slots, but they still suck and we all knew that prior to ordering them. So buyer beware this is why they are on clearance for half price.

must not be from @gr8fuldoug ...since he only had the 2.5-15.

On the other hand...I got a 4.5-27 from midway...only played with it for two min before I handed it off to its new owner:) it looked brand new..no ring marks..no zero stop set.

Halberdier

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2019
Texas
Mine from Midway was brand new also, i would return the used one back to them and ask for a new replacement

This. Midway will take care of you.

Btw, 34 of the 4.5-27 are left. They started with close to 1,500. I don't think they'll be there much beyond today, maybe tomorrow.

Farmerdanss

Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2018
Btw, 34 of the 4.5-27 are left. They started with close to 1,500. I don't think they'll be there much beyond today, maybe tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]

I Just ordered two so less then that! One for myself...one to sell. I just hope I get new ones with the revolution marked elevation turret and coin screw.

Dopedude

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2019
This. Midway will take care of you.

They took care of me, they gave me a return shipping label and will exchange it.

Dopedude

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2019
They are good folks. But since it's sold out, you might want to make sure they set one aside for you before sending it back.
I called this morning, they said they are completely out of stock and will no longer exchange the scope.

Dopedude

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2019
I'd say that's a pretty unacceptable answer. You ordered and paid for a new optic, and they shipped you one that obviously wasn't.
They offered me a full refund but won’t replace the scope. So I’m hoping they will knock some more money off since it’s “used. Otherwise I will probably sell it on here.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

Kwing

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2019
Snapchat-1438482178.jpgSnapchat-1631613577.jpg

Finally got it today. I . put it on the 6.5 creedmoor I walked out with last friday. Top one was me. Then theres the three shot group at 100 yards. That was with factory Hornady American whitetail. All together about a $750 setup.

Reactions: TACC

1J04

Morale Officer
Belligerents
Aug 7, 2011
Naselle WA
Great info going on in this thread. Got mine new from Midway and it's just sitting in the rings right now. I'll getter snugged down this weekend and get it zeroed. I figured these would have some drawback to them, but not for those getting "used" equipment. That's just plain n simple BS! Sorry it happened like that. I'd be livid.

The darkening after 15x or so is totally expected for $425, but at $850 I'd have hoped it'd make it to 20x at least. Oh well.

Like I said, I'll get it cranked down and play with it this weekend and see what it's all about. Again, really good thread......

20190919_145329.jpg20190919_145425.jpg

edit: If this thing is half as tough as the Box it came in, we're good. That box weighs as much as the damn Scope. 😆

Mike Casselton

Trunk Monkey
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
Great info going on in this thread. Got mine new from Midway and it's just sitting in the rings right now. I'll getter snugged down this weekend and get it zeroed. I figured these would have some drawback to them, but not for those getting "used" equipment. That's just plain n simple BS! Sorry it happened like that. I'd be livid.

The darkening after 15x or so is totally expected for $425, but at $850 I'd have hoped it'd make it to 20x at least. Oh well.

Like I said, I'll get it cranked down and play with it this weekend and see what it's all about. Again, really good thread......

View attachment 7150086View attachment 7150087

edit: If this thing is half as tough as the Box it came in, we're good. That box weighs as much as the damn Scope. 😆
You're not kidding about that box. Holy hell.

I got to shoot mine today after sitting on it for a couple of weeks.

Did a rough bore sight at the house after mounting it.
Got to the range today around 10:30 and did another bore sight to make sure it was closer.

Shot the below target starting at the B target and went clockwise.

Played with the turrets after each group.
Winds were 12 mph gusting to 19.

20190919_141454.jpg

Compared it with an Argos 5-20 on my CZ grendel, and its miles better and brighter
I'm very happy with it.

If I had money laying around, I'd buy a pile of them.

1J04

Morale Officer
Belligerents
Aug 7, 2011
Naselle WA

Got to the range today around 10:30 and did another bore sight to make sure it was closer.

View attachment 7150119

Compared it with an Argos 5-20 on my CZ grendel, and its miles better and brighter
I'm very happy with it.

@Mike Casselton I saved and rotated the target you texted. The one above is driving me nuts.🤣

20190919_172645.jpg

Reactions: Threadcutter308

Mike Casselton

Trunk Monkey
Belligerents
Nov 25, 2007
Lithia, FL
It bothers me too, but I shot it in landscape mode. Ha!
That's why I put the arrow showing top, right between A&C.

I wrote on it based on how I store them. So there. 😋

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04

1J04

Morale Officer
Belligerents
Aug 7, 2011
Naselle WA
Just an FYI. Butler Creek has FREE SHIPPING going on right now if you're into their product. (y)

Reactions: TACC

want2ride

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2018
I didn't mount mine yet, but I took it out of the fort knox box and dialed it back from 27 to 15 where I could actually get a look through the glass. it seemed a bit touchy at 27, but I guess that is to be expected when just holding it up in front of you when not on a gun. At 15 power it looked pretty nice as little as you can really tell from such an exercise. The windage turret was nice and crisp, the elevation was a bit soft, but not too bad.
I think I will keep this and pass the 4.5-27 Midas down to my brother.

Reactions: TACC and 1J04

8pointer

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018

View attachment 7150119

I'm very happy with it.

I'd not hesitate to grab one of these if I didn't like what I have so much. That rifle and the glass.....fun setup.

Gobears16

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Walnut Creek, Ca
I took mine out and gave it a few dials up and down. I didn’t think they were mushy at all. What is the trick to get them to become more crisp/audible? I took the o-ring off and cleaned it but there was no real grease to be detected. What’s the purpose of that O ring? Is it needed?

Halberdier

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2019
Texas
Just looking for the reason, to take a closer look at mine.

He answers here:

JaoeyP

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
Sent mine back
So before you sent back for mushy turrets did you remove the O-rings?

I didn't like the turrets at all when I got mine, but after I removed the O-rings I found them to be pretty decent.

Farmerdanss

Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2018
I haven't fondled any high end turrets..well nothing above several nf nxs..and in my personal opinion...the 2.5-15 ares btr I got from Doug that I kept has the perfect turrets to date. I did take out the o ring to check...didn't like it and put it back. I put a tiny amount of fine oil on them but it didn't change much...maybe just loosened it. They have a tiny amount of mushiness, followed by a small click. It's probably a bit too loose for situations where accidentally turning it could be a huge problem...but with a zero stop....its not an issue for me. I personally hate the Ares Etr turrets...too loud, abrupt, and 'crunchy'. I had a Nightforce nxs and it was exactly as mushy as my swfa 10x I started out on.Almost zero click...just mush. I didn't know it was an issue till I started reading here on SH of people returning scopes due to turret mushiness. Lol

BG94591

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2019
Got my 2.5-15 today from a friend who’s a dealer. Got home and opened the box and low and behold, this was sitting on top of the optic. Sent my friend a text, he’s contacting Athlon. Its pretty disappointing, why would you send an optic out that failed QC.
9D99980E-86C2-47AB-8E5C-C7ACFA949C53.jpeg

Kickin45

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2018
Do those of you who have the 2.5-15x50 see any tunneling at low magnification? Anybody had a chance to compare it to the PST II 3-15x44?
I’ll take a look through mine tomorrow and let you know. Haven’t noticed it, but also haven’t looked for it either

Reactions: rhsc

Lawless

Hootenanny Coordinator
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2018
NC
If anyone is not happy with their Ares 4.5-27 and it’s mil/mil, I’ll PayPal you for it instead of you sending it back. I want another one. PM me.

Cotay

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2017
Just got my Athlon 2.5-15x50 in the mail today - no tunneling that I could see.
How is the eye box? I was tempted to pick one of these up but then found a Sightmark Pinnacle 3-18x44 for $500. I've heard the eyebox is tight on the Pinnacle series so I might still end up with the Ares 2.5-15x if that proves true.

krimet

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
I actually opened a thread yesterday asking about scope recommendations for a .22LR trainer. I was going to go with a Viper PST gen II, but @gr8fuldoug serendipitously bumped this thread and brought it to my attention. Order placed. Thanks for the assist!

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
Hessian
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
Sou-East Texas
How is the eye box? I was tempted to pick one of these up but then found a Sightmark Pinnacle 3-18x44 for $500. I've heard the eyebox is tight on the Pinnacle series so I might still end up with the Ares 2.5-15x if that proves true.
I'm probably not the guy to answer that question. Still not sure what "eye box" means exactly. I will say that it's comparable to my Sightron SIII 6-24 where their magnification ranges overlap, as far as the ease of finding the image goes. It's very easy at low mags, but that may just be the result of the larger exit pupil. Interestingly, when both of those scopes are set at 12x and compared to my SWFA fixed 12, it's noticeably easier to acquire the image through the SWFA. Maybe that's an advantage of the simpler optical system in a fixed power scope.

Reactions: Lawless