Anyone have any Survive! knives?

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2017
Cedar Lake, IN
Anyone besides me love the Survive! knives? Ive got a GSO 4.7 and the craftsmanship is amazing. Also, probably the sharpest factory edge i have on any of my fixed blades (tops, kabar, esee).

powdahound76

Old fat and tired dad
Belligerents
Sep 7, 2011
Denver CO
Nice looking blade.

My knives are more bushcraft or hunting.

Similar idea I believe.

I like that and the 3.5 on their website

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
my biggest problem with “survival knives” is 99% of them are way too big. having lived out of my ruck for extended timeframes in all kinds of enviroments, the knife i used the vast majority of the time was a little folding gerber that had like a 2 1/2 inch blade. next in line was the leatherman tool-but that usually wasnt the knife that was getting used-more the tools than the blade. then i had a bigger folding gerber, and my mark II, and the phrobis. the phrobis was used the least, the mark II was never used as it had 1 purpose and was kept to a razors double edge at all times. i still have the bigger gerber, the leatherman, and the mark II.

i think anything over 3 1/2 inches is getting too big to be honestly useful. i’d really like someone to make a useable knife that size with a sheath that is worth a shit.
and while i am on the subject....

why the hell doesnt anyone make a sheath that has a push button release? something in the vein of a blackhawk serpa holster. so when you put the knife in, it’s IN. and when you push the button, that sucker comes out with no fumbling. a reasonable knife with some honest effort put into the sheath for positive retention

sheepdog697

RegionRat
Belligerents
Feb 26, 2017
Cedar Lake, IN
Its not really a "survival knife" for me. I just liked the quality. I tested the edge on my "bob" dummy. That was probably the only time ive ever used it.

I think they are going to release a folder sometime soon.

hermosabeach

Everything is true on the internet- Abe Lincoln
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2012
Betty Ford Clinic
I beat up my daily knives... I have a nice one for skinning while hunting...

I would not want to use that blade as it would end up full of character

my spyderco civilian is wonky and I have used it a lot

Spyderco could not sharpen my Police model... they had to re grind the serrations... awesome knives...

rth1800

Belligerents
Sep 16, 2009
why the hell doesnt anyone make a sheath that has a push button release? something in the vein of a blackhawk serpa holster. so when you put the knife in, it’s IN. and when you push the button, that sucker comes out with no fumbling. a reasonable knife with some honest effort put into the sheath for positive retention

The old Morseth knives with laminated blades had a locking sheath of sorts. Not a push button but clearly snapped to place. More of a heavy detent I suppose. I have some that are 60 years old with much use and still snap to place just as they did years ago. Very high quality knives. I have no idea about them today but the company is still in business I think.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: myronman3

45cal4life

It's a secret
Belligerents
Jan 20, 2005
Arkansas
Have a 3.5 with an OD sheath and camo scales. Nice knife and I'm sure it can take a beating if needed

Driftr76

I add nothing to the discussion
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 6, 2019
Indiana
This knife would be considered my "survival" knife, I guess. Extrema Ratio RAO II.20190328_063016.jpg

Who?Me?

I pay in blood ... but not my own
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2019
Papua New Guinea
There are so many 'survival" knives out there now, particularly the ones that try to emulate the RAT and ESEE knives.
I never really got into "exotic" survival knives. Just good quality, no need to overdo it. I agree with the gent about the 2.5" blade he commonly used in the field. But IMO, its also good to have a longer blade for diff kind of work, especially shelter building and potentially for self-defense (banjos playin'? LOL).

That said, Ive mainly have bushcraft knives, I got an ESEE Izula (2"), ESEE 3", ESEE 5", a B.O.B. TOPS Fieldcraft 5", and a Tom Brown Tracker.
More knives than I need, but I like to try them out, then thin the herd. Generally good to get a knife that you can baton with.

THe Tracker
timthumb.php.jpeg

myronman3

deez nutz
Belligerents
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
The old Morseth knives with laminated blades had a locking sheath of sorts. Not a push button but clearly snapped to place. More of a heavy detent I suppose. I have some that are 60 years old with much use and still snap to place just as they did years ago. Very high quality knives. I have no idea about them today but the company is still in business I think.
[/QUOTE]

I saw an old ww2 japanese sword that had a push button lock on the hilt that caught the top of the sheath. I have longed for a locking sheath of some type ever since.

A.Bennett

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2018
I've got a brothers of Bush craft field knife, an Essee lazerstrike(stupid ass name) and Tom brown tracker. The tracker is a solid one choice knife. It works well for both a hatchet and knife but it's pretty big. The essee is nice but has quite a few hot spots in the hand. I find my go to is the field knife. It has the dimples in the handle for doing bow drill fires that works really well. Nothing fancy about the blade but it works. I carry it and the tracker scout combo. It's too much to carry honestly but I still can't decide which one I like more. As it stands right now. The tracker scout combo would he my choice.

GONE BAD

Private
Belligerents
May 8, 2013
Portland
my biggest problem with “survival knives” is 99% of them are way too big. having lived out of my ruck for extended timeframes in all kinds of enviroments, the knife i used the vast majority of the time was a little folding gerber that had like a 2 1/2 inch blade. next in line was the leatherman tool-but that usually wasnt the knife that was getting used-more the tools than the blade. then i had a bigger folding gerber, and my mark II, and the phrobis. the phrobis was used the least, the mark II was never used as it had 1 purpose and was kept to a razors double edge at all times. i still have the bigger gerber, the leatherman, and the mark II.

i think anything over 3 1/2 inches is getting too big to be honestly useful. i’d really like someone to make a useable knife that size with a sheath that is worth a shit.

You obviously haven't seen Crocodile Dundee?! 😜

Phatcow

Private
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2019
Esee5 plain edge. Obviously used as my camp knife, but still follows me via truck/get-home-bag almost everywhere that isn't home. Steel is 1095, and the Tang is about 1/4"; it's a hefty hunk of metal. Doesn't dull as fast as you'd think; i've spent weekend chopping (not batoning) logs to make stands and it's held up fine. The best part of 1095 (and the profile of this knife in particular) is how easy it is to sharpen.
I keep the blade thinly waxed when not in use to keep the uncoated areas from developing surface rust.
Sheath is a Hedgehog Leatherworks basic scout carry sheath

Attachments

SoonerSplit243

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2019

SoonerSplit243

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2019
Danial Winkler of Winkler Knives makes multi-purpose knives that are exceptional. He designs many knives for the special ops teams.
The bread and butter is the Winkler Belt Knife. If you want to go bigger the Blue Ridge Hunter is my choice. I have multiple knives and a tomahawk.

Additionally, the sheathes that he designs hold the knife in any position and the knife is well protected and will not come out of the sheath until deployed.

I wouldn't get another knife. He makes excellent products at a reasonable price point.

Hope this helps