8mm Mauser ammunition, please identify.....

Hetzer

Private
Belligerents
Feb 28, 2017
I'm thinking that is Yugoslavian M49. Berdan primed, 198 gr. Google that and compare your boxes.

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
Black Hills
Almost certainly corrosive. Brush it out with hot soapy water, then clean normally. Anything that touches powder residue (bore, bolt, and inside the receiver). Make sure to oil when done, and check back for the next few days.

Dan M

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 14, 2013
South Central PA
As others have said, 1950s vintage Yugo M49 7.92mm Heavy Ball ammunition. Brass cased, berdan corrosive primers. Some hang fires and some will require a second firing pin strike to fire. I still have several cases left from when they were giving this stuff away years ago... shoots decently out of my Yugo 24/47 out to 500m.

Not much 8mm surplus around anymore...or any other contemporary calibers. It is better than not shooting at all.

Clean with a water/Ballistol mixture to remove the salt created by the chlorate primers and you will be GTG

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
Thank you. All great information.

I also have some Equadorian silver tips. Just need to decide which to sell and which to shoot...
The gun is a M24/47 Yugo Zastava.

SonicBurlap

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2018
Serb Cyrillic, hence Yugoslav; specs as already mentioned above manufactured in 1952 in Belgrade .

John Arbuckle

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2019
FWIW, the powder is EXTREMELY dirty. I bought a bunch thinking I would shoot it up... I don't mind cleaning after
corrosive primers, but with this, firing just 20-40 rounds required *extensive* scrubbing with brush/solvent/patches
to get past the carbon and down to where the corrosive salts are on the steel. After a couple of experiences with that,
I pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, and kept the brass/bullets for reloading. At the price it was selling for back
in the day, just the bullets were more than worth it... Hope this helps,
John

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Belligerents
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
Yes thanks. That stuff is all gone now.

I am shooting this Equadorian stuff now and am getting some misfires.
I guess it is what it is!

I am quitting the milsurp thing and will just reload for it....
Hate cleaning all the time!