6mm Dasher

Nov 8, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Have a 6 Dasher barrel that should be here this week.
Have read all the info I can on fireforming and whether it's a big pain or not, I would like to try forming my own brass via a hydraulic die.
I've posted a wtb request in the classifieds, so hopefully I can find a used one. I know I can just buy hydroformed brass, but want to make my own.

I have a pound or two of Varget, RL15, and 8208xbr, so I'll try those to start off.
May also try 4166 if I can find some.
I've tried Varget in several rifles/calibers and just haven't had it work better than other powders... maybe this will be a first?

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Oct 27, 2003
Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
Have a 6 Dasher barrel that should be here this week.
Have read all the info I can on fireforming and whether it's a big pain or not, I would like to try forming my own brass via a hydraulic die.
I've posted a wtb request in the classifieds, so hopefully I can find a used one. I know I can just buy hydroformed brass, but want to make my own.

I have a pound or two of Varget, RL15, and 8208xbr, so I'll try those to start off.
May also try 4166 if I can find some.
I've tried Varget in several rifles/calibers and just haven't had it work better than other powders... maybe this will be a first?
DO yourself a big favor and get your brass professionally hydro formed by DJ's Brass. His work is better than any other in the biz. You will get brass that is very consistent on length and neck diameter from him. Those are two areas where the "do-it-yourself" crowd have problems achieving.
It is not at all unusual to see used Whiddon or Hornady hydroform dies in the accurate shooter forum. People really tire of pounding the hammer and cleaning up the mess.
You will also find Varget is the star of the show for 6 Dasher. I shoot 32.7 behind the 105VLD fired by CCI450 at over 3,000 FPS. I see no pressure signs but you should drop down to around 32 and work up. And I jam the bullets around .010" as well.

Feb 20, 2013
NorCal
So concencous is after you get hydrocormed brass back you should full length size it before fire forming? Or do people just clean brass then load and finish fire forming the. Resize after that?

Thank you chad

shoot4fun

Gunny Sergeant
Oct 27, 2003
Riverside, Alabama, USA, etc
So concencous is after you get hydrocormed brass back you should full length size it before fire forming? Or do people just clean brass then load and finish fire forming the. Resize after that?

Thank you chad
It all depends on who you get your hydro-form brass from. See my recommendation above. The only place I've gotten true "load-and-shoot" brass.

Feb 20, 2013
NorCal

MOshooter

New Hide Member
Apr 10, 2018
Don't discount 4166 as a viable option for powder.
I have found slightly better velocity with less carbon issues using it.
Shot a 4 round group the other day at 1360 yards using 110 SMK and 4166 that had just less than 6" vertical dispersion.
The wind was kicking my ass so we won't discuss the horizontal! That was all the ammo I had left that day hence only 4 shots.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I am a new guy to 6 Dasher, but have formed brass for a few wildcats in the past. My understanding is that regardless of how/where you get your hydroformed brass, it should be blown out enough to at least cause a slightly firmer than normal bolt closing. This slight crush fit will ensure the case isn't moving forward on primer strike. I believe with most hydroformed brass, this will mean running it through your sizing die to bump the rounded shoulder back slightly and testing the bolt close on the brass piece until the slight crush is just right.
If your hydroformed brass does not cause a harder bolt close before sizing, it probably didn't get blown forward enough during the hydroforming. Not optimal, but if this is the situation you find yourself in, you will definitely want to seat your bullets with high neck tension and a stiff jam into the lands before firing. (better yet, get them hydroformed right so there is at least a slight crush fit)

Thanks for everyone's posts on forming and powders for the dasher.
I saw some 4166 on the local shelves the other night, so I grabbed a bottle to throw into the testing mix.
The new barrel should be here this weekend, so hopefully will be launching projectiles down range soon. (got a great deal on some RDF 105gr blems, hoping they work as good for me as they have for some others)

Mar 10, 2017
Rim fire Mike

I would do a good job of sorting those blemished bullets. I have found they are in terrific condition, but they seem to come from many different lots and/or dies. Therefore lengths, base to ogive and weights vary. Because of this I’ve played hell with consistent seating depths. I gave up for now and will shoot Berger’s in my BR and use the blems for fire forming Dasher brass when I get one. I’ve had good luck with first run RDFs in 6.5 for steel banging.

Nov 8, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Rim fire Mike

I would do a good job of sorting those blemished bullets. I have found they are in terrific condition, but they seem to come from many different lots and/or dies. Therefore lengths, base to ogive and weights vary. Because of this I’ve played hell with consistent seating depths. I gave up for now and will shoot Berger’s in my BR and use the blems for fire forming Dasher brass when I get one. I’ve had good luck with first run RDFs in 6.5 for steel banging.
Thanks for the heads up on your experience with these. I got them for just over $14/100 shipped, so will be great for fireforming at least and hopefully shoot well if I sort by weight and ogive length.

Rangemaster

Step back behind the LINE
Oct 6, 2013
High Sierra Desert

Thank you chad
Chad

i hydro form my brass so the bolt is very tight on close, then I resize the brass pressing the rounded shoulder more inline to the 40 degree shoulder. Here is a picture of my just hydro form dasher on the right vs a twiced fired one on the left.

7B315596-4A8A-48A8-9F08-68DAA725CC8B.jpeg

Last edited:

MOshooter

New Hide Member
Apr 10, 2018
Yep it's on there but no 4166 with 105 or 107
It is just a tad faster than Varget.
Start with Varget loads and I have ended up with higher charge weights than Varget.
Enter at your own risk.
Every rifle is different.
YMMV.
Yada yada.
I did load 110 SMK over 33 gr. of 4166 and got 2880 fps.
My 105 Hornady loading is not getting posted for the above reasons.

May 4, 2011
Specs:
26 inch bartlein barrel
1.555 chamber
272 no-turn neck
104 freebore
Defiance Deviant action
Primers CCI450
False shoulder formed brass

105 hybrid seated 0.015 off the lands

32.6 gr of Varget = 2978 fps (on average) SD 4.2
33.0 gr of Varget = 3006 fps (on average) SD 5.4

On a colder day 33 gr varget 2984 fps SD 1.4 ES 4
Specs:
26 inch bartlein barrel
1.555 chamber
272 no-turn neck
104 freebore
Defiance Deviant action
Primers CCI450
False shoulder formed brass

105 hybrid seated 0.015 off the lands

32.6 gr of Varget = 2978 fps (on average) SD 4.2
33.0 gr of Varget = 3006 fps (on average) SD 5.4

On a colder day 33 gr varget 2984 fps SD 1.4 ES 4
Hi is it possible to know what the overall length is?

Jul 27, 2010
ABQ, New Mexico
26'' Hawk Hill Marsksman 1/7 twist
Lapua Hydro formed brass Hunts Longrange
Impact Action
105Hyb 5 thou off
32.8 Varget @ 3001 fps
CCI 450's
I tried BR-4's, but would get a few hang fires in cold weather.
Going to give the 110's a try this week. This is my first Dasher barrel only 60 rds fired so far, I'm a 6.5 and 6 Creed guy.
Loving the Dasher so far.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2013
NorCal
26'' Hawk Hill Marsksman 1/7 twist
Lapua Hydro formed brass Hunts Longrange
Impact Action
105Hyb 5 thou off
32.8 Varget @ 3001 fps
CCI 450's
I tried BR-4's, but would get a few hang fires in cold weather.
Going to give the 110's a try this week. This is my first Dasher barrel only 60 rds fired so far, I'm a 6.5 and 6 Creed guy.
Loving the Dasher so far.
Hey Capt

How was the brass from Hunts Longrange? and if you don't mind what was your prep work once you got it, did you resize, fireform with bullet into lands? Just asking because I see a lot in here about the DJ brass but I picked mine up from Hunts as well. my action is in the 10 day jail then I have to put it together so will be acouple of weeks until I can see if the bolt closes tight on the hydroformed brass.

Thanks

Chad

Dec 2, 2017
Holly ridge nc
It is just a tad faster than Varget.
Start with Varget loads and I have ended up with higher charge weights than Varget.
Enter at your own risk.
Every rifle is different.
YMMV.
Yada yada.
I did load 110 SMK over 33 gr. of 4166 and got 2880 fps.
My 105 Hornady loading is not getting posted for the above reasons.
Do you think if I took varget load for br and dashed and got the diff and backed off a few 10ths would that be a starting point for 4166 I also wanna try VV