6.5x47 Lapua

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Oct 24, 2007
Wautoma, WI
Annealing will not have any affect on case head separating. Sloppy chambers and pushing the shoulder back are the only 2 causes I've ever traced down.

I only know of one person that doesn't anneal and shoots the 47. He was getting split necks about the 7th firing and got worse from there.

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Oct 15, 2009
Mississippi
My chamber will technically close on a No-Go gauge but it's extremely close. The chamber of my bighorn build is a one thou difference or so and wont close on a No-Go. I use the same sizing die for both. Bumping the shoulder 2-3 thou from fire formed brass in both chambers. Again though it's been through 12 firings at least.

Thinking about adding an AMP to my list of things to get this summer if it's that necessary to prolong brass life.

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Oct 24, 2007
Wautoma, WI
It'll definitely increase neck life and make it easier to keep SDs as consistent as possible. As for head separation, I don't think it'll have any appreciable affect.

The intial stretch of that long chamber might weaken them from the start and you're on borrowed time from then on. 12 firings might not be that bad considering that.

I can put slight ejector marks on every firing on my 6-47 and have yet to lose a case before the barrel is worn out. I start with 200 new with every barrel

demolitionman

Sergeant of the Hide
Feb 26, 2013
Ohio
Annealing will not have any affect on case head separating. Sloppy chambers and pushing the shoulder back are the only 2 causes I've ever traced down.

I only know of one person that doesn't anneal and shoots the 47. He was getting split necks about the 7th firing and got worse from there.
I don't anneal. I'm on my 8th firing. Haven't even had to trim brass yet. 2820fps 140eld. Still shooting tight.