300 PRC update

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Yeah the brass! Rocketmandb brass worked perfectly. Bummer. Thanks for asking
What was it doin? I’ve had same problem sometimes. New brass works great, full size after firing, fire again and sticks when I pull back. Barrel is broken in and speeding up tho. 74.0 grains of rl26 is giving me 2935fps! Might be pressure sign I’m thinking.

jwknutson17

Big Game Hunter
Belligerents
Apr 29, 2017
Colorado
What was it doin? I’ve had same problem sometimes. New brass works great, full size after firing, fire again and sticks when I pull back. Barrel is broken in and speeding up tho. 74.0 grains of rl26 is giving me 2935fps! Might be pressure sign I’m thinking.
What die? My Hornady one was terrible. My custom Redding type S howerer has had no issues.

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
Sounds like a die issue. I know there was a guy shooting 7-300 PRC with 300 PRC bushing dies that wasn't getting enough body sizing and had cases sticking.

I'm only on my 2nd firing so far so I can't speak for my setup.

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Hornady. Not the die tho I think. After I full size die, the cases go in and out with ease. Chamber polished and flawless.
Used both full size regular and full size bushing. Both dies leave cases good to go in and out. But after firing, bolt lifts but sticks a tad sometimes

Rocketmandb

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2018
More than what’s available in all of Aus...
I didn't intend to get this much, but here are some of the extremes I went to:

- For months, every day I'd do at least one, if not multiple online searches for the powder
- I called every local store (all out)
- I called every store in decent-sized towns/cities within a 4-hour drive
- Just under half of what I got was from dribs and drabs of getting it online.
- I drove to Reno (3 hours each way) to get two pounds.
- Most of it I got because I reached out to a friend who is an FFL and asked him to call his distributors. One came through - by the time he'd gotten a hold of me, 2/3 of what the distributor had gotten in had been taken. They had 14 lbs left, and I told him to grab it all.

Perseverance (or obsession) pays off :)

Scrav223

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2018
Anyone using neck bushings? If so, what diameter? I've used .335 for 225ELDM and .333 for 210VLD's Have some decent groups but trying to get lower SD's

clcustom1911

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
Belligerents
Oct 23, 2017
Southern Kommiefornia
I didn't intend to get this much, but here are some of the extremes I went to:

- For months, every day I'd do at least one, if not multiple online searches for the powder
- I called every local store (all out)
- I called every store in decent-sized towns/cities within a 4-hour drive
- Just under half of what I got was from dribs and drabs of getting it online.
- I drove to Reno (3 hours each way) to get two pounds.
- Most of it I got because I reached out to a friend who is an FFL and asked him to call his distributors. One came through - by the time he'd gotten a hold of me, 2/3 of what the distributor had gotten in had been taken. They had 14 lbs left, and I told him to grab it all.

Perseverance (or obsession) pays off :)
You, my Good Sir,....

Are an asshole. I like your style.

dfp dfp

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2019
Are these available as a barrelled action?
I'm not sure....but they will make u what ever you want....
They were not making any prc 300 when I asked them about making one....they said they would do it....mine is stamped 000008
And is the 2nd they sold
It's a gorgeous firearm....pics just dont do its justice

Reactions: Simia Dei

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
For the gunsmiths out there. Having pressure issues with sticking bolt since new. Free space area has always been very tight. Like solid marks around the whole bullet if pulled out. Today I was going to run some FACTORY 212 precision hunter rounds. First 2 were hard bolt close and pulled the bullet from case when tried to eject. VERY tight freebore area cause big case pressure?

Forrest

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2018
For the gunsmiths out there. Having pressure issues with sticking bolt since new. Free space area has always been very tight. Like solid marks around the whole bullet if pulled out. Today I was going to run some FACTORY 212 precision hunter rounds. First 2 were hard bolt close and pulled the bullet from case when tried to eject. VERY tight freebore area cause big case pressure?
What brand reamer did you use?

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
Yes if there is an interference fit with the bullet it will spike pressure.

The obvious first step is cleaning, but after that it might be worth it to have the chamber cerosafed to check actual freebore dimensions. The PRC and Creedmoor calibers are fairly tight on the freebore, but there should be clearance. If you find yours is tight, check the reamer that was used and see if it meets SAAMI spec or if it's a little on the small side.

My guess is if it is a chamber/reamer problem it'd be easily corrected by slipping another reamer in there (even by hand) and cleaning up the freebore.

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
My local gunsmith did the work. I’ve been chasing pressure problem since new. Factory 225 match go in with a little effort. If you pull them they will have a scuffing all the way around the bullet. Been having sticky bolt pull for a while on all reloads. 74g-76g rl26. Betting this is the pressure issue?

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Even with hornady seat depth gauge deal I can’t tap the bullet past the free bore to find the lands that tight would cause pressure correct?

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
Yes, it would. Forcing the bullet to squeeze down, lack of clearance immediately out of the gate causes pressure to spike. Similar to jamming into the rifling, but probably worse.

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Got a call from gunsmith. He says legnthening the throat he thinks will solve it. I’m wondering if it’s a length or diameter problem? He used a ptg reamer. All bullets have around 1/4” of scuffing when ejected. Ideas??!!

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
Diameter, not length. Have him measure the reamer and compare it to the published SAAMI print.

PTG is notorious for effing up dimensions on reamers. Last year they sent a friend a .223 reamer with ZERO body taper, just went from shoulder diameter straight back...

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Diameter, not length. Have him measure the reamer and compare it to the published SAAMI print.

PTG is notorious for effing up dimensions on reamers. Last year they sent a friend a .223 reamer with ZERO body taper, just went from shoulder diameter straight back...
He just called and said he lengthened the throut .020”. Both factory ammo shot and extracted good. Loaded one case with 74.0 g rl26 and bolt still sticks. Sounds like he’s pointing finger at powder causing the pressure and that’s that!?

b2lee

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
N. KY
He just called and said he lengthened the throut .020”. Both factory ammo shot and extracted good. Loaded one case with 74.0 g rl26 and bolt still sticks. Sounds like he’s pointing finger at powder causing the pressure and that’s that!?
He loaded up one case with RL-26 or did you? I just can't see 74.0 grains really causing that much trouble.

Supersubes

Snafu
Belligerents
Sep 6, 2006
Rural Nevada
If you are scuffing at the front of the bearing surface, there’s very commonly a larger diameter section just ahead of the boat tail, which only exacerbate the issue.

Lengthening the throat .020 would do absolutely nothing. If he was thinking the extra jump would relieve pressure from the level of sticky bolt to completely peachy.....uh no! I’d have done what ledzep suggested, and cast the chamber. I also agree that PTG May have ground the freebore too small. What’s the fired neck diameter?

Edit: If he was able to just lengthen the throat, the throating reamer he used probably corrected the freebore diameter at the same time.

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
If you are scuffing at the front of the bearing surface, there’s very commonly a larger diameter section just ahead of the boat tail, which only exacerbate the issue.

Lengthening the throat .020 would do absolutely nothing. If he was thinking the extra jump would relieve pressure from the level of sticky bolt to completely peachy.....uh no! I’d have done what ledzep suggested, and cast the chamber. I also agree that PTG May have ground the freebore too small. What’s the fired neck diameter?

Edit: If he was able to just lengthen the throat, the throating reamer he used probably corrected the freebore diameter at the same time.
Fired neck measures .340”

Harleydog

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Ok. Went to shop today and measured reamer compared to bullets. They are same diameter of not tad smaller. It’s a slip/push fit to get bullets to the lands. And leaves marks the whole circumference of the bullet for pry 1/4”. Way too tight freeboar. And now that he’s lengthened to throat too far gonna have to cut and rechamber. That tight of a freeboar would be making pressure spikes I believe correct?

Supersubes

Snafu
Belligerents
Sep 6, 2006
Rural Nevada
Ok. Went to shop today and measured reamer compared to bullets. They are same diameter of not tad smaller. It’s a slip/push fit to get bullets to the lands. And leaves marks the whole circumference of the bullet for pry 1/4”. Way too tight freeboar. And now that he’s lengthened to throat too far gonna have to cut and rechamber. That tight of a freeboar would be making pressure spikes I believe correct?
Yes, that’ll cause issues.

2Barrels

Private
Belligerents
Mar 7, 2017
THIS ^^^ and they are PITA to communicate with. Gave up on PTG long time ago. Dave Manson gets my business when I need a reamer.

Reactions: Ledzep

Cauld

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
Harleydog my fired case necks measure .341 I got the barrel from Greg at SPR, he used a JGS reamer. No interference on bullet shank to chamber wall. Haven't had a sticking bolt on factory or reloads.
Bullets hit lands at,
Barnes 200LRX 3.615
Hdy 212 ELDX 3.655
Hdy 225 ELDM 3.720
20190524_083049.jpg

Reactions: Scrav223

Ledzep

Chancellor
Belligerents
Jun 9, 2009
NE
Any thoughts on Curtis actions and area419s work? Making another 300prs barreled action
Jon & crew put out top notch work. In fact, probably the most satisfied both in timeline and quality of work done with Area 419 of all the 'big name' shops I've used.

LakuNoc

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Wondering if anybody have Christensen Arms MPR in 300 PRC and how it shoots?

BirdHunter91

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
Not the same rifle but, I just picked up my Christensen 300 PRC Mesa. I've yet to put it on paper but it seems to be built pretty well for a HUNTING rifle. Plans to get it zeroed on paper and shoot it in the ballistics lab at work to see what the 225 match ammo is doing out of it and then go from there.

Reactions: gnochi and LakuNoc

LakuNoc

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2018
Not the same rifle but, I just picked up my Christensen 300 PRC Mesa. I've yet to put it on paper but it seems to be built pretty well for a HUNTING rifle. Plans to get it zeroed on paper and shoot it in the ballistics lab at work to see what the 225 match ammo is doing out of it and then go from there.
Let us know how it performs.

Reactions: BirdHunter91