1911 choice

ajv35XX

Random User
For the 1911 officiados, I will be adding a 1911 to my collection in the near future. I am looking highly at either the:
Colt Rail Gun
Colt M45A1

or

Springfield Loaded 1911

Uses will be for daily carry and use on the range

I have an affliction for Colt seeing they are made in my home state, but the Springfields have always seemed decent to me.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Mine would be

Colt Combat Commander RGZ.

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/colt-special-combat-rail-commander-45acp-o4012rgz-p-74069.html

I like the checkered front strap and the ball mill at the front of the slide. Sights look very user friendly.

I have two Colts Commanders one LW and one steel I alternate carrying and they do just about everything the RGZ will do without the bling.

I picked up one of the decommissioned MARSOC M45A1s - the dual recoil spring and extra weight make for a soft shooting 45.

ajv35XX

Random User
Mine would be

Colt Combat Commander RGZ.

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/colt-special-combat-rail-commander-45acp-o4012rgz-p-74069.html

I like the checkered front strap and the ball mill at the front of the slide. Sights look very user friendly.

I have two Colts Commanders one LW and one steel I alternate carrying and they do just about everything the RGZ will do without the bling.

I picked up one of the decommissioned MARSOC M45A1s - the dual recoil spring and extra weight make for a soft shooting 45.
Thank you for the response sir. If I could afford one of the MARSOCs I would have one.

Any specific reason why you suggest a commander vs a full size 1911?

Depending on your stature, that 0.75" off the front makes concealed carry a little easier. I know it isn't one of your options, but I ended up with a Dan Wesson Guardian. Lovely little gun

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Look at the Colt Combat Unit.

Pretty sure it's a Colt Rail gun with added checkering on the front strap.

I like a grippy grip.

Last edited:

Veer_G

The Cunning Linguist
Depending on your stature, that 0.75" off the front makes concealed carry a little easier. I know it isn't one of your options, but I ended up with a Dan Wesson Guardian. Lovely little gun
Not just hiding it, but it seems to be a split second faster on the draw, too.

mrtoyz

Online Training Member
In the opinion of the old head gunsmith for Detonics, Dan Wesson is making the best production 1911's currently.

ajv35XX

Random User
In the opinion of the old head gunsmith for Detonics, Dan Wesson is making the best production 1911's currently.
What makes them better then the Colts? I took a lot at what they offer, and am now adding one of their commander models into the mix

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Thank you for the response sir. If I could afford one of the MARSOCs I would have one.

Any specific reason why you suggest a commander vs a full size 1911?
Usually I like more sight radius and if this were an open carry service pistol Id go 5 inch barrel.

but....I carry my Commanders.

Im not a big guy, 5-8 or so, and can run 3 miles if tasked with doing so. The minus 3/4 inches makes the Commander a little bit easier to conceal.

I carry on a outside the WB Garret Industries Silent Thunder. It rides high on the belt and your typical bowling shirt covers it nicely.

You will pay for the concealability with a little bit of accuracy. Not much but some.

mrtoyz

Online Training Member
What makes them better then the Colts? I took a lot at what they offer, and am now adding one of their commander models into the mix
He brought up 2 things:
Dan Wesson is using all billet components. There are no MIM (metal injection molding) parts.
In his opinion the fit and finish was the best of any production gun.

I had a Springfield lightweight operator. It was a nice gun. Very reliable and I could shoot some very tight groups with it, but... Those tight groups always hit higher than point of aim. I looked at getting a new front sight to correct but never could find a straight answer about what cut Springfield uses.

I just traded the Springfield in on a Dan Wesson Valor. In my opinion, it is no more reliable or shootable than the Springfield. The trigger feels nicer when I dry fire it, but when I'm actually shooting I'm not sure I can tell a difference. It does hit where I am aiming it though, unlike the Springfield that I had to hold under. The fit and finish seem just a touch nicer on the Dan Wesson in my opinion.

So, I think the Dan Wesson is a little bit nicer gun, but there is nothing at all wrong with a Springfield. You will be happy with either. Is the extra cost of a Dan Wesson worth it? Only you can answer that.

I would save my pennies for a couple more months then look at a used Les Baer PII - even a new price from crazy John is still the best bang for your buck for a 1911. But then again, those you are considering are great pistols as well - depending upon your intended use, most 1911's might fill the bill.

DW is the way to go. Skip the Colt. No checkering on the front strap. And the Springfields have a mushy safety (IMO). Dan Wessons are the tightest, best out of box triggers, best sights (rear hooks) and the quality is 100% better.

My EDC is a DW Discretion that I had milled for a Trijicon RMR with the 1911 RMR plate. It is a tack driver and is 100% reliable.