Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bags

Collapse

728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bags

    Ok guys Iím new so donít crucify me...Iím interested in gas gun series...with that being said Iím a combat veteran and Iím used to using military issue gear for the most part. Besides the fact im using a fixed 10 power scope(lots of time behind it) I donít get all the bags I see in the videos... I use a sand sock and a bipod if the situation permits...but Iím seeing a lot of mid bags and large bags strapped to weapons... it looks very cumbersome. Like I said in the beginning Iím new to this so donít bite my head off telling me why you use bags and why Iím a idiot for not using them...Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks

  • #2
    The bags do two things
    1. Cushion and support the rifle when laid on a narrow/irregular object like barricades and such
    2. Fill in gaps between your body parts that should be in contact (like elbow and thigh/knee) when shooting from unorthodox field positions

    Many, many equipment and technique improvements/developments from competitive shooting eventually make their way to .mil use.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well said, I will have to experiment with them in the future. I thought maybe some of the guys were using them to protect their weapons from scratchís and such, thatís not something Iím worried about personally. I think it will take some getting used to, Iím still worried about toting them around through a stage and them not getting in the way...and Iím never crazy about extra weight lol.

      Comment


      • #4
        So what bags should I be looking at? I have some old bench bags but Iím not sure thatís gonna work great lol

        Comment


        • #5
          Try weibad.com to go browsing

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Spartan6 View Post
            So what bags should I be looking at? I have some old bench bags but Iím not sure thatís gonna work great lol
            For PRS I would get one of either a Game Changer or Tactical Udder, and then get the No Name Tactical 2 bag set. You can add really big bags, or really small bags, but you can do almost anything with that combination of 3 bags.

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice thanks guys

              Comment


              • #8
                I use 3 different bags depending on the situation, and don't need anything else bag wise. As stated above, I use them for a multitude of reasons. I use the Tactical Udder for increasing surface area on barricades, tree branches, pipes, or rocks. This allows for a slightly flatter/more stable support for the rifle. Then I use the "gamer bag" for different open body locations in funky positions, for example between elbow and knee when in a high kneeling position, or between my butt and my left foot in a similar position. The other spot I use it is when a bipod tends to hop like on a car hood or roof. The bag absorbs the energy and allows for a straight back recoil impulse that allows you to spot a miss or impact a bit better than off a bipod when you can't properly load it. The rear bag I use for a rear bag but also for filling body voids from time to time or under a knee when I need to get an inch or two higher, etc.

                My rear bag is a Traust - very light weight, locks up tight with a bit of squeeze pressure and very versatile. The fill and the lighter weight fabric make for a great combination.
                My "big bag" is also a Traust - The "Gamer Bag" is like a pump pillow but has a lot of extra features that come in handy (sling strap, center "belt" to cinch it up tight and make it stand up taller/more solid, easily refillable, etc)
                For barricades, rocks, pipes, etc I use the "tactical udder" or saracen bag.

                The guy behind Traust is a good friend of mine and myself and a few other Colorado based shooters have all had input into his gear. He's taken all that input and put it into a complete package that seems to make all of us pretty happy. Give them a look.

                All Available from Bison Tactical and Mile High also carries the Traust bags.
                https://www.bisontactical.com/collec...ka-saracen-bag
                https://www.bisontactical.com/produc...ng-accessories

                https://www.milehighshooting.com/traust-position-bags/
                https://www.milehighshooting.com/traust-rear-bags/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Will do, thanks man.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice....thanks assault

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Don't think you NEED to have these bags to be competitive. I have yet to find a stage I couldn't do with my backpack and standard size TAB rear bag. I find it is more of a time waster and hassle working a stage out trying to fiddle with bags. Your money and time would be better spent on ammo and dry fire practice learning how best to build bone supported positions (or with the backpack/rearbag).

                      in my opinion it takes away from the original purpose of these types of competitions...field shooting. Ive never seen a hunter or mil/le dragging almost a whole packs worth of bags to do what they have to do. I also think it sends the wrong impressions to new shooters thinking they need 100s of dollars worth of bags to be able to shoot.

                      just my .02

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FUNCTIONAL View Post
                        Don't think you NEED to have these bags to be competitive. I have yet to find a stage I couldn't do with my backpack and standard size TAB rear bag. I find it is more of a time waster and hassle working a stage out trying to fiddle with bags. Your money and time would be better spent on ammo and dry fire practice learning how best to build bone supported positions (or with the backpack/rearbag).

                        in my opinion it takes away from the original purpose of these types of competitions...field shooting. Ive never seen a hunter or mil/le dragging almost a whole packs worth of bags to do what they have to do. I also think it sends the wrong impressions to new shooters thinking they need 100s of dollars worth of bags to be able to shoot.

                        just my .02
                        To tell a newer shooter heís going to be competitive with the best shooters out there using no aids while the best shooters are using aids is a disservice

                        A fortune cookie or game changer and a Pump pillow are all thatís needed to tackle most everything...if itís a time waster, learn how to use them...if you arenít shooting 75%+ at Matches then you could be more accurate

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by morganlamprecht View Post

                          To tell a newer shooter heís going to be competitive with the best shooters out there using no aids while the best shooters are using aids is a disservice

                          A fortune cookie or game changer and a Pump pillow are all thatís needed to tackle most everything...if itís a time waster, learn how to use them...if you arenít shooting 75%+ at Matches then you could be more accurate
                          Never said he would be more competitive or less using the variety of bags. Just simply said he doesn't NEED them. If he chooses to or not is up to him but regardless of using all the bags or not hes gong to have to put time into perfecting either method.

                          I still feel it does eat some time off your stage. Ive practiced with them and really gave them a shot but fact is you still have a big bulky bag either strapped to your gun, your arm or dragged around on a lanyard you have to worry about maneuvering through your stage. For stages with only one position ok but for those with 2, 3...5+ positions it would pay to know how to build your body into a better support than monkeying with bags on the stage.

                          everyone is different.. what works for me may not work for someone else. Just seems more and more I see people pushing new competition shooters into all these bags and I believe the preceived "pay to play" it can put off will eventually hurt the growth. Just trying to give the guy some other experiences not running these bags.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What works is what is winning and I see what the top guys are doing...they have the bags when/where they need them

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nice thanks for ALL the advice guys

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Worth noting that Mr. Lamprecht finished 32nd out of over 500 shooters in the 2017 PRS final overall standings.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  I am new to PRS and am practicing off of every structure I could. I am wondering from a know nothing prospective would it be better to try practicing without and get used to making due with out or grabs some bags practice.

                                  Second question, is there ever matches that don't allow bags?

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by colby6968@yahoo.com View Post
                                    I am wondering from a know nothing prospective would it be better to try practicing without and get used to making due with out or grabs some bags practice.
                                    I would do both


                                    Originally posted by colby6968@yahoo.com View Post
                                    Second question, is there ever matches that don't allow bags?
                                    I don't think there's one that bans ALL bags, but I've read on this forum how some matches limit what you can take with you, including the quantity (and maybe the size) of bags you can take onto a stage.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by colby6968@yahoo.com View Post
                                      I am new to PRS and am practicing off of every structure I could. I am wondering from a know nothing prospective would it be better to try practicing without and get used to making due with out or grabs some bags practice.

                                      Second question, is there ever matches that don't allow bags?
                                      yes, like 308 mentioned ^^ learn with both...some matches only allow the use of 1 bag per stage, other times some stages are anything goes and other stages are no extra support allowed

                                      the shooter needs to be able to weigh the stage and see what approach fits...if its a solid prop with a bunch of positions, fast time, and a bigger target up close, id roll with nothing...if its a sketchy prop, with generous time, and small targets/far targets, figure out a way to make the bags work

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Thanks for the input

                                        Comment


                                        • #21
                                          Don't forget to learn how to use a sling as a shooting support. There are some obstacles where using a sling (either by itself or with some bags) will make a world of difference. And then there are stages where it is the only support you're allowed to use.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X