728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirage Shields

I have a rifle being built and looking for a mirage shield but only able to find the Sinclair (Venetian blind looking) mirage shield. Finding it hard to mount that on my new rifle so looking for something a little cleaner looking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My mirage shield rolls up and fits into a pill bottle. It's a wide strip of black sewing ribbon, with three Velcro dots peel-n-stick'd onto it. Works. I also kinda like the blue ribbon with the white stars...
    Last edited by Greg Langelius *; 02-20-2017, 06:59 PM.
    Good marksmanship is no accident.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticdaddy View Post
      I have a rifle being built and looking for a mirage shield but only able to find the Sinclair (Venetian blind looking) mirage shield. Finding it hard to mount that on my new rifle so looking for something a little cleaner looking? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Think about a blow tube on the left side mounted to/along the scope base or receiver. As you exhale to the bottom of the breath cycle thru the flex tubing it will blow the barrel mirage away, an give you 4-5 seconds to break the shot. Don't know how to post photos in a thread or I'd post one of mine. Have them on all lr sticks, and they cost almost nothing to make.
      Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying,...but,....Which Ever You Choose, Make A Difference,....

Sometimes doing the right thing is the wrong thing to many, but once you become a felon by your hand or theirs, be the best you can be.

Comment

I just use the black elastic champions choice unit. You need a front sight tenon or block but they work excellent.
        Happiness is One Ragged Hole, or A Bucket of Fried Chicken ;-)

Chris Hayes
        Nashville, TN

Comment

go to accu shooter and grab a hand made carbon fiber one for like $30 perfect function and look great

Comment

Originally posted by avidflyer View Post
            go to accu shooter and grab a hand made carbon fiber one for like $30 perfect function and look great
            That is much more along the lines of what i was after....thank you sir!

Comment

this look up Mark Nagle he builds nice ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet Pusher View Post

this look up Mark Nagle he builds nice ones.
                I actually just ordered a few from Mark this morning....thanks for the info!

Comment

Add a couple of extra velco tabs, it will help hold that carbon fiber shield better. We have two, near indestructable and light.

Comment

Just ordered one from mark Nagel too.

looking forward to it!!

Comment

Do you have a link to the website? I'm not having any luck finding one.

Comment

Originally posted by KWilson View Post

Do you have a link to the website? I'm not having any luck finding one.
                        He does not have a website but here is his contact info.... thebumperguy@hotmail.com or call (715)551-9735

Here is a photo one one that I just received

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticdaddy View Post

He does not have a website but here is his contact info.... thebumperguy@hotmail.com or call (715)551-9735

Here is a photo one one that I just received
                          Received two of them today, thanks for the tip!

Comment

That would be easy enough to make myself.

Comment

I used a democratic candidates plastic corrugated road sign for my mirage shield

Comment

and they weigh a ton. I have one. Cant run it, puts almost all of my F-TR rigs over weight. They are not just carbon fiber, they are CF glued to a plastic backer.
                                | |

Comment

I like the blow tube idea... I might steal that!
                                  M40A-1 in process...

Comment

Originally posted by XTR View Post

and they weigh a ton. I have one. Cant run it, puts almost all of my F-TR rigs over weight. They are not just carbon fiber, they are CF glued to a plastic backer.
                                    Have you weighed it? Just curious.

Comment

74g
                                      I peeled the backer off and the backer weighed 48g. The problem with that was that the glue between the backer and the CF is not affected by lacquer thinner, acetone, purple degreaser, or turpentine. I rattle can painted the glue and it makes it not sticky, but the sticky is still there just under the paint so if you scratch it it's there again.

I made a comment about this on Accurate Shooter and Mark said he can make them without the backer if you want. I My F-TR rifles run very close to he weight limits, (I run heavy barrels) so I can't spare the weight.
                                      | |

Comment

I was going to make one, I've got CF fabric and a 4 inch pvc tube to lay it up on for the curve. Couple velcro dots and I should be good.

Comment

Working...
                                        X