Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Read A Good NON-Fiction Book Lately?

Collapse

728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Read A Good NON-Fiction Book Lately?

This thread is for the (titled) topic of any good NON-Fiction books. Due to the eclectic tastes and interests here on The 'Hide, there is a huge potential for knowledge expansion for so many others. Share it, here!

The Rice Paddy Navy by Linda Kush - U.S. Sailors Undercover In China, Espionage and sabotage behind japanese lines in China during World War II.
    One Hundred Victories b y Linda Robinson - Special Ops and the future of American Warfare.

Currently Reading:
    13 Hours by Mitchell Zuckoff - The inside account of what really happened in Benghazi

On Deck:
    Murder At Camp Delta by Joseph Hickman - A Staff Sergeant's pursuit of the truth about Guantanamo Bay

Whaddayagot't'add?
    God Bless, Stay Safe, and Remember! Go big, or go home.
    My own "Good Guy List": http://forum.snipershide.com/firearm...ml#post1761755

Code Talker by Chester Nez. After being broke down for forty days in Gallup, NM, I had a lot of chances to read about these guys. And meet those who knew them.
    Every shot serves a purpose, whether accurate or inaccurate. It will always tell you what you did, and did not do, right. Even if all you have is a fraction of a second to make it, learn from it. So the next one is even better.

The pen is only mighty when it is backed by the sword.

Comment

A Code to Keep by Ernest C Brace
      Story of a contactor pilot in Vietnam who was shot down and held as a POW for years. Two years in cages in the jungle. Later in the Hanoi Hilton. Near starvation, torture, and deprivation.

Comment

The Road to Serfdom
        1 mil shy of dead center...

Respect All. Fear None.

Comment

One of the Best Ever books on WWII about Pelilu and Okinowa from first party Marine K/3/5/---1st Marine Division

With the Old Breed by Sledge

about 2500 5 Star Ratings

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...5%2Ck%3Asledge

Comment

Reading Ron White's (not that one) book American Ulysses about Grant.

Brilliant biography about a man who has been written about... a lot.

The best part of it is that, for a change, the publisher did not skimp on maps. The book is FULL of maps. Superb, fantastic, easy-to-read maps. Every time you think 'man, wouldn't it be great if they had a Map of Vicksburg. . a map of Wilderness... a map of Antietam.... wow, right there is a map!

Utterly brilliant book. Highly recommend.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. Yes, With The Old Breed is a classic. If you like that, also read "Helmet for my Pillow." Also William Manchester's "Goodbye, Darkness" was written in the 1970's and documented his return to the battlefields of the Pacific war. After serving as a sergeant in the Marines and seeing combat on Okinaia, Manchester became one of the greatest authors of the 20th Century. His return to the battlefield(s) of his youth, 30 years later, is eerie and brilliant. Many of the battlefields still bore fresh scars. So did Manchester. Though he did not fight at many of the locations he documents, he uses his own experiences to tell the stories of others. He got a lot of crap for his book being 'fiction' and some of it is. But what 'is' fiction was written by a person who lived the reality and bore the scars. Can't recommend that book highly enough. And the lefty professors who tried to ruin his memory can kiss my ass. Whining at Berkeley was not fighting on Okinawa... Manchester was there. American Spectator 'journalists' were not.
            Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum

Oderint dum metuant

"You went full nerd with that reference." Thanks, I will wear that as a badge of honor!

Comment

'A History of Russia'. Nicholas V, Riasanovsky. Russia has an amazingly diverse history which contributes to its interesting culture and current situation. Absolute horror from abut 1850 on. They probably have it better today than they have in centuries.

"Never argue with a Slopchute. It will drag you down to its level and then beat you with experience." Maggot

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving." Col. Walter Kurtz, from Apocalypse Now

Comment

Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom https://www.amazon.com/dp/1594206139..._lkI1duZWyEPkf
                But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
                And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know." Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Maggot View Post
                  'A History of Russia'. Nicholas V, Riasanovsky. Russia has an amazingly diverse history which contributes to its interesting culture and current situation. Absolute horror from abut 1850 on. They probably have it better today than they have in centuries.
                  There was little to be happy about prior to 1850 either.

History is everything to understanding Russia.

They ended slavery 1865 just like us. They went all in on the Great Society. Look what it got them.

lets be relevant to the OP

Shots Fired in Anger

https://www.amazon.com/Shots-Fired-A.../dp/093599842X
                  Last edited by pmclaine; 07-30-2017, 12:09 PM.
                  "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

The War of The World, by Niall Ferguson

It will make you think
                    https://www.amazon.com/War-World-Twe.../dp/0143112392

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Error-...C3MR4NEZ9TK2PV

Mortal Error about JFK Assassination from a ballistics point of view..Makes sense to me!

Comment

Recently finished:

Miracle at Belleau Wood: The birth of the modern US Marine Corps.

Hillbilly Elegy: A memoir of a family and culture in crisis

In the middle of-

Thank You for your Service

Miracle at BW is a great read. I had no idea how brutal WWI trench warfare was or how bad that fight in France was for the 5th and 6th Regiments, of which I later served with. The massive amount of pride I feel now for being part of the 6th Marines after learning what they did before me is incredibly humbling.

Hillbilly is about Appalachian America and the crisis facing them today, viewed through the eyes of someone who escaped, became a Marine and eventually graduated Yale Law school.

Thank You is a heartbreaking read about an Army unit and Soldiers facing PTSD, life after the war and their struggles. I'm not done with it, but it is very interesting to me. I did not serve in Iraq or A-Stan and am curious to learn more about the war's effects on so many troops. I wish I could help.
                        SGT, USMC
                        3/6 STA Plt. '93 - '96

JADE Precision
                        JADE Precision on FB
                        JADE Tactical

Comment

Working...
                        X