728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

It seems as though at least a few of us share a second addiction of chainsaws, log splitters (thanks to you wonderfully generous deplorables), firewood hoarding and stacking, and in general just making trees our bitches.

tnichols and I are both on at least one other forum specific to this field, but like us with precision rifles, the guys over there are maniacs for this shit. You can't ask a simple chainsaw question without the general consensus instantly being that you have to have a custom-built pro saw ( and many of them) for every application. I figured there might be some fun in those of us who don't make a daily living at it (with the possible exception of oneshot86 earning his Natty Light money) just sharing some knowledge and pictures of our setups.

I'm also WAY overdue in following up on Splitzilla's status, so this is as good a place as any.

I know we've got pics related to this spread all over "what's my view" and a few other threads, but feel free to duplicate / consolidate them here as you see fit.

So come on 1J04 , MtnCreek MontanaMarine , vh20 , sirhrmechanic, Tucker301 , and all the folks I've seen post up homestead pics, but apologetically can't remember all the user names. Show Off Your Wood!!!!
    Last edited by bogeybrown; 12-27-2017, 10:52 PM.
    I am The German's spirit animal

• http://www.treestuff.com/store/catal...d=34&item=1161

I have a pair of these, I like them, there nice for crashing through the briars also.

I don't have any additional extra PPE besides hard hat if I'm in the trees and glasses, gloves...

Comment

• I use these. The strap design is a little different, as it appears Husky changed the design without updating photos, and mine are grey vs orange. You can probably see them in the video I posted recently of the new 365. They can be had for a good bit less than the MSRP on Husky's website.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/accesso...aps/587160704/

Chaps are hot, period. Down where I am it really becomes an issue in the summer, but it still beats a potentially fatal injury. I opted for the size a bit longer because they come down over the laces of my steel-toe boots, adding a little extra protection.

The Labonvilles that missed posted are highly regarded on the tree forums.

Beware of the super cheap Chinese models on Amazon. There's some YouTube videos of a guy testing them, and although they do work better than nothing they still allow complete penetration of the material.

Comment

• I use Labonville that wrap around my lower leg and ankles. They are hot, but I typically cut in cooler weather than you southern fellas.
        Universal means it don't fit nothin'.

Sometimes free ain't cheap enough.

Comment

• Comment

• Yeah I don't winterize my saws, I summerize then! About April a put them up, and try not to touch it till December or January!

Comment

• Here is what I worked on yesterday. We have cleaned up 20-30 of these and have about that many more to do.
              I was wrong on the number of my wife's saw, it is a Dolmar 421. She kept after me to get her a saw and I never would until she said she was going to get her own. I had no idea what she would bring home so I thought I should get involved. I had the dealer put a 14 inch bar on it and for a small saw, it is really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Icallem View Post
                Here is what I worked on yesterday. We have cleaned up 20-30 of these and have about that many more to do.
                I was wrong on the number of my wife's saw, it is a Dolmar 421. She kept after me to get her a saw and I never would until she said she was going to get her own. I had no idea what she would bring home so I thought I should get involved. I had the dealer put a 14 inch bar on it and for a small saw, it is really good.
                Nice! What type of tree?

Comment

• It is Water Oak. It is used for pallet lumber. It is not worth much, but the trees were so big they needed to be cut. It is good firewood when seasoned, but not so much until then. Seasoned or not, it works good in my outdoor stove as it has an induction fan, but I will not burn it in my inside stove unless seasoned.

When cleaning these tops up, I typically cut a big limb off and drag it to a central spot where I have a fire, trim it up then cut the wood. I have not been able to work on them much because we have been so dry I could not have a fire. Also, I said before the logging was done last year, but it really was 2016.

Comment

It is Water Oak. It is used for pallet lumber. It is not worth much, but the trees were so big they needed to be cut. It is good firewood when seasoned, but not so much until then. Seasoned or not, it works good in my outdoor stove as it has an induction fan, but I will not burn it in my inside stove unless seasoned.

When cleaning these tops up, I typically cut a big limb off and drag it to a central spot where I have a fire, trim it up then cut the wood. I have not been able to work on them much because we have been so dry I could not have a fire. Also, I said before the logging was done last year, but it really was 2016.
                    Most of what I mess with down here is Water Oak as well, the bark on that one looked a bit different to me, and honestly I'm pretty bad at identifying trees. The most seasoned wood I have right now is probably 5 months old and it's still boiling in the fireplace but eventually burns. The moisture content in those trees is staggering, and I've bucked a few where I had water literally pouring out of the tree when I hit a cavity. I'd imagine it's one of the reasons our termites love them so much.

Comment

• I can't even think about burning this inside until seasoned. I cut the small part of the limbs and they are good to go. These tops have been on the ground for over a year now, but the bigger part in the "log', it has not seasoned much at all.

We are having several oaks die,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is anybody else having that trouble? When I split so of this that has died, there will be small white worms in it and just tons of small holes where it looks like the worms have bored. Next time I split some of this I will get a picture.

I have around 40 acres of woods and a buddy from the city has 50+ that joins me and I can't keep up with cutting all the ones that just die.

Anybody need a load of wood?

Comment

I can't even think about burning this inside until seasoned. I cut the small part of the limbs and they are good to go. These tops have been on the ground for over a year now, but the bigger part in the "log', it has not seasoned much at all.

We are having several oaks die,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is anybody else having that trouble? When I split so of this that has died, there will be small white worms in it and just tons of small holes where it looks like the worms have bored. Next time I split some of this I will get a picture.

I have around 40 acres of woods and a buddy from the city has 50+ that joins me and I can't keep up with cutting all the ones that just die.

Anybody need a load of wood?
                        Donít know where you are located, but it sounds like an oak borer. If the problem is that bad, maybe contact your local Forestry department and have them send a Forester to see whatís going on with your stand. I know down here in FL with the damn beetles, we have to literally cut down and burn any tree within a certain radius of an infected tree/patch to stop them from spreading and decimating a planted pine plantation

Comment

• Originally posted by bogeybrown View Post

Most of what I mess with down here is Water Oak as well, the bark on that one looked a bit different to me, and honestly I'm pretty bad at identifying trees. The most seasoned wood I have right now is probably 5 months old and it's still boiling in the fireplace but eventually burns. The moisture content in those trees is staggering, and I've bucked a few where I had water literally pouring out of the tree when I hit a cavity. I'd imagine it's one of the reasons our termites love them so much.
                          Old saying up here is that oak (different species than what you have) gives up its moisture SLOWLY. In our climate, 2-4 years minimum if cut green (live or blow down). Two years minimum if itís dead standing. Cooking out the moisture eats up BTUís and can lead to chimney problems. I let that stuff season as long as possible before burning. As your stash grows (and youíre doing a fine job of that my friend) it just gets better.

Comment

• Originally posted by ajv35XX View Post

Donít know where you are located, but it sounds like an oak borer. If the problem is that bad, maybe contact your local Forestry department and have them send a Forester to see whatís going on with your stand. I know down here in FL with the damn beetles, we have to literally cut down and burn any tree within a certain radius of an infected tree/patch to stop them from spreading and decimating a planted pine plantation
                            Good advice. If itís something that is preventable, itís worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
                            X