728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Woodchuck and Firewood Hoarders Thread

It seems as though at least a few of us share a second addiction of chainsaws, log splitters (thanks to you wonderfully generous deplorables), firewood hoarding and stacking, and in general just making trees our bitches.

tnichols and I are both on at least one other forum specific to this field, but like us with precision rifles, the guys over there are maniacs for this shit. You can't ask a simple chainsaw question without the general consensus instantly being that you have to have a custom-built pro saw ( and many of them) for every application. I figured there might be some fun in those of us who don't make a daily living at it (with the possible exception of oneshot86 earning his Natty Light money) just sharing some knowledge and pictures of our setups.

I'm also WAY overdue in following up on Splitzilla's status, so this is as good a place as any.

I know we've got pics related to this spread all over "what's my view" and a few other threads, but feel free to duplicate / consolidate them here as you see fit.

So come on 1J04 , MtnCreek MontanaMarine , vh20 , sirhrmechanic, Tucker301 , and all the folks I've seen post up homestead pics, but apologetically can't remember all the user names. Show Off Your Wood!!!!
    Last edited by bogeybrown; 12-27-2017, 10:52 PM.
    I am The German's spirit animal

• Originally posted by diverdon View Post

Dallas, You have some nice looking gear. What make is your band mill? I've never seen a vertical one only horizontal like wood mizer.
    Not my mill but a friends. It is a Cooks made in Alabama. It has a 50 or so Hp Perkins diesel on it. Plus the guy knows how to sharpen and tune a band blade, so it was humming through the thick white oak....until we hit a nail from deer stand I built 20 years ago. That makes a very unique and bad sound.

Comment

• Originally posted by dallas34 View Post

Not my mill but a friends. It is a Cooks made in Alabama. It has a 50 or so Hp Perkins diesel on it. Plus the guy knows how to sharpen and tune a band blade, so it was humming through the thick white oak....until we hit a nail from deer stand I built 20 years ago. That makes a very unique and bad sound.
      Yeah, after you do that a few times you sweep your logs with a metal detector first.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rldr-08 View Post
        Man I love cutting wood. Over the years I've slowly designed and built equipment to make it easier on myself and family.

Here's a couple of grapples. One for a John Deere and one w quick attach for the skid steer.

Saw mill that I helped design and build with a couple of buddies.

And then the piles of wood from recent years. Have always burnt wood and grew up in a house that burnt wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Great pics and nice set up! Thanks for posting. What part of the Midwest? Iím guessing east of the Mississippi.

Universal means it don't fit nothin'.

Sometimes free ain't cheap enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by tnichols

Great pics and nice set up! Thanks for posting. What part of the Midwest? Iím guessing east of the Mississippi.
          Central Ohio

Comment

Central Ohio

I was gonnaí guess Indiana or Ohio, but didnít want to look like a complete idiot if I was wrong. Looks very much like here (eastern Iowa).

Comment

• All this talk about saws, and nobody's mentioned the "Shindaiwa" yet?

(this oughta be good for a laugh of two!!) Happy New Year
              God Bless, Stay Safe, and Remember! Go big, or go home.
              My own "Good Guy List": http://forum.snipershide.com/firearm...ml#post1761755

Comment

• Shindaiwa used to make a great weedeater. Mine's 20 years old and runs like a champ, but I never heard anything (good or bad) about their saws.

Comment

• I have a Stihl 362, and that's it. Based on the amount of firewood we cut I guess I should have more... I got friends with 3-4 saws that only burn in a fireplace. But it does everything I need it to do and will bring down some big trees when I need it to.

We've been busy wiping out all the dead ash trees on our farm the last few years. Probably got 60 on the ground right now we'll process out this winter.

Comment

I have a Stihl 362, and that's it. Based on the amount of firewood we cut I guess I should have more... I got friends with 3-4 saws that only burn in a fireplace. But it does everything I need it to do and will bring down some big trees when I need it to.

We've been busy wiping out all the dead ash trees on our farm the last few years. Probably got 60 on the ground right now we'll process out this winter.

Emerald ash bore. We have it here too. Only plus side is it makes fine firewood.

Comment

• We put in a woodstove about 11 years ago. We use it for 95% of our heating. We buy firewood by the truckload. mostly logging scraps and beetle kill stuff. So I'm just cutting, splitting, stacking. Saves a ton on heating, and what's not to like about wood, chainsaws, etc......grin

I've been using a Husky 455 Rancher for the same 11 years. Great saw.

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaMarine
                        We put in a woodstove about 11 years ago. We use it for 95% of our heating. We buy firewood by the truckload. mostly logging scraps and beetle kill stuff. So I'm just cutting, splitting, stacking. Saves a ton on heating, and what's not to like about wood, chainsaws, etc......grin

I've been using a Husky 455 Rancher for the same 11 years. Great saw.

Wow. Beautiful pics. Very jealous of your location.

Comment

• ^^^ Absolutely awesome. Thanks for putting those up!

Comment

• Forgot to ask. What wood species is that? Pine, spruce?

Comment

• Mostly lodgepole pine, some douglas fir, some larch.

Comment

• Itís -12F at 2215 LCL with a forecast low of -20F. This helps...

2F5E5CEA-FC41-4CCB-849D-61E99F702C37.jpeg

Comment

• MontanaMarine , thanks for the new pics. I remembered your having posted some great shots a while back. I'm glad to hear that your Rancher has held up well, since I now have two of them and don't know what to expect from "Ranch grade" saws.

Could you give some info on what looks like that tabletop log splitter?

Comment

• It's a Ryobi electric splitter I picked up at Home Depot when we started this woodstove stuff. It's been going strong 11 years now. It sold for $299 back then.

Comment

• It's not super powerful, but works on what I'm splitting. I've split plenty of 16" + stuff by finding a natural crack to put the blade in.

Comment

• Originally posted by MontanaMarine View Post
                                        It's a Ryobi electric splitter I picked up at Home Depot when we started this woodstove stuff. It's been going strong 11 years now. It sold for $299 back then.
                                        I'll be damned, sounds like a handy little gizmo. Aside from camping in pine forests I've never really spent any time splitting softwoods.

Comment

• Looks like it's re-branded as a Homelite, but this is the same splitter,

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite...SABEgJC0fD_BwE

Comment

• That thing would be the shiznit for splitting kindling and lighter pine.

Comment

• It's been a workhorse for me, but mostly pretty straight-grain softwoods. I've been splitting up 4-5 cords per year for the last 11 years with it.

I'm sure it would be waaay light in the azz for serious hardwoods.

Comment

• I stopped by the chainsaw shop the other day to see about trading my Christmas 465 Rancher for a decked out 365 with 28" bar. While I was heading that way I decided to bring the 455 Rancher in for a professional tune up since it's about 4-5 months old and has gotten enough use to have run in by now.

As I was at the airport yesterday their mechanic called me and said that as he was going through it he discovered that the piston is scored and that the saw needs a new top end. Even though I didn't get that saw from them they're going to go through it in search for the factory defect (bad seal or whatnot) to compel Husky to pay for the rebuild. I am flipping the fuck out that a new saw, run on Husky premix, with carb limiters that would prevent me from being able to adjust it too lean and damage a piston, has committed suicide within months despite being properly cared for.

How Husky responds based on what the mechanic finds will definitely determine if I ever buy another one. Husky was an experiment for me after a lifetime of Stihl ownership. The ball will be in their court depending on what the final inspection reveals.

Comment

• Does anyone own/buy/use any Husky "2 digit" saws, or have you?
                                                  God Bless, Stay Safe, and Remember! Go big, or go home.
                                                  My own "Good Guy List": http://forum.snipershide.com/firearm...ml#post1761755

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean the Nailer View Post
                                                    Does anyone own/buy/use any Husky "2 digit" saws, or have you?
                                                    Unfortunately no. Back when Husky was making their 2 digit saws I was running "0" series Stihls, which from what I can tell are still considered to be excellent saws.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X