728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Jeopardy

I'll take Military jeopardy for 300 Alex.
    Box turns an says, "I'll bet that, Fucking jeep won't be there either!"
    Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying,...but,....Which Ever You Choose, Make A Difference,....

Sometimes doing the right thing is the wrong thing to many, but once you become a felon by your hand or theirs, be the best you can be.

• Topo map?

Comment

• No, good guess but has to do with radio operation.
      Hint "I shackle current current the following---

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown View Post
        Topo map?
        Tropospheric propagation map?
        Gloria Dei est vivens homo.

Comment

• AKAC-874 (or something like it) for reading/transmitting in code. (Former radio operator here, though not from the Vietnam era)

Comment

• I am too OLD. They were small papers with codes for sending sensitive info like map coordinates[ friendly positions etc] usually each covered 12 hrs.
            Good RTOs could do it fast. It took me longer.
            Also refered to the Stars&Stripes newspapers.

Comment

• Yeah, that was what the AKAC 874 was (a coding paper, based on the current day/time). We also used to use (in a pinch) the code word "SCUBA DIVER" ("I call SCUBADIVER, and set "Delta"). "Delta" would be where you would start count (starting with zero) with the letter "D" and then ascend up along the word (and wrap around to the beginning of the word until "9" was reached). Any letter could be used as the set point. This way you could pass coordinates quickly, but in a way a non-english speaking eavesdropper couldn't easy figure out.

Comment

• You are right. I knew they were called Kac codes or something like that but couldn't remember it. Just how it worked.
                We got PRC77 with a Bravo 1 insert that gave what they called "clear air" It worked for a while but was easily compromised and we were back to square 1.
                Commo has come a long ways since 1969. What I would not have given for a handheld GPS.as opposed to the fucked up maps and compass we used.
                Don't get me wrong, Everyone should be able to go back to the compass and map, Few can.

Comment

• Yeah, when I was a radioman, we were in the transition phase. Carried a PRC77/KY-57(Crypto), and were promised the new SINCGARS gear (but never saw it until after I lat moved to another MOS). Also worked with the PLRS system (early version of GPS, but used terrestrial based time emitters, versus the satellite ones used for GPS).

The new PRC117G's seem to be pretty well made, and have had some exposure to them doing my day job. Mainly we've been using them for the data link aspect, but they seem to be a pretty nice (SWaP wise) piece of gear...

Comment

• Originally posted by Strykervet View Post
                    This old technology that you all probably know how to use (some quite well) was developed as a cutting edge military tool a long, long time ago. It allows pre-planning and preparation of a fight, allocation of resources, more precise metrics and measurements, etc. It also has broad civilian uses too. What is it? And who designed it and for whom did he design it?

This should be a good one.
                    Sorry, had family visit then that asshat in LV derailed me.

Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                    Topo map?
                    Yep, that's it! Da Vinci invented it for Cesare Borgia's campaigns.

Last edited by Strykervet; 10-09-2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarinePMI View Post
                      Yeah, that was what the AKAC 874 was (a coding paper, based on the current day/time). We also used to use (in a pinch) the code word "SCUBA DIVER" ("I call SCUBADIVER, and set "Delta"). "Delta" would be where you would start count (starting with zero) with the letter "D" and then ascend up along the word (and wrap around to the beginning of the word until "9" was reached). Any letter could be used as the set point. This way you could pass coordinates quickly, but in a way a non-english speaking eavesdropper couldn't easy figure out.
                      Shackling is alive and well. We still did it in '04 in Iraq because the damn Singars were always dropping their fills and having to transmit cordinates single channel clear text until we could get the crypto reloaded. Only difference was we used MOTHERFUCK instead of SCUBADIVER. Any 10 letter word without repeating letters works. I am enjoying this "game" as I am learning new and interesting tidbits I never picked up even after 21 years in the Army in Infantry and Medical Corp.
                      "Dulce Bellum Inexpertis" (Sweet is war to those who have not known it) - Erasmus

Comment

• It has been a trip down Memory Lane that some things in Commo haven't changed much over the years but much has, for the better.
                        What is some of the slang you young troops used?

Comment

• Probably not a whole hell of a lot different than what you used. Same ol shit, different pay period. More than likely you could be dropped into the middle of an infantry platoon today and speak fluent grunt without the need for an interpreter. Called the enemy Hajiis instead of charlie, IBAs = flak vests. ACH = K-pot/Kevlar. A M240b was still called the Pig, 50 cal still the ma-deuce. Handsets on our radios were the same ones you used on the PRC-77s and 126s. A track was a track, except now they are Bradley Fighting Vehicles but I still saw 113's running ammo resupply and CasEvac. Old skills still survive in big part to hip pocket training by the NCO's and Ranger handbooks. (at least they did in early 2000s) The kids (I use that term lightly, They just happened to be younger than me.) knew how to use map and compass, maneuver and signal with whistle and flare, encode on single channel plain text, do link ups at night, drop offs, OPs etc. Basic soldier skills that don't change. GPS, radios, battery operated gizmos make things quicker, easier, and the digital aspect they picked up insanely fast, but they understood that everything shits out on you when you need it most, 2=1 and 1= none, and that analog knowledge can save your life or lives of your squadmates.
                          "Dulce Bellum Inexpertis" (Sweet is war to those who have not known it) - Erasmus

Comment

• I'd concur with bigdaddydmd, though I probably fell somewhere between you both (at least when I was still a radio operator) timewise. We still had M-60E, and the 240's were just rolling out as I left, and also had M-249 SAWs (I hated that bitch). As Marines we tended to be a little late on the new stuff (Army almost always got he new stuff before us). As far as comms go, I fell in the era of the PRC-77/KY-57 as the primary radio, but humped PRC-113 (UHF) on occasion for CAS and HST ops, also used an LST-4 for early SATCOM. Even used to use the Packrat PROCOMM device for a short while (we were testing it), that was an early version of a modem that we could connect to our 77's and burst data out to avoid someome DF'ing our pos. Even still used PRC-104's (which saved our ass when we got jammed for three days) for HF comms. Nothing burns through jamming like a CW waveform (though being one of two guys that could actually key morse code, it was a shitty sleepless three days...especially since the other guy that could also code, was on the other end), at least the other guys didn't have artillery.

But as bigdaddydmd says, the basic stuff hadn't changed. 2=1, and 1=none. Always have a back up plan, even if its slash wire, MRE spoons and a crappy radio with half dead batteries...
                            Last edited by MarinePMI; 10-10-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• I will ax,ask Alex for $1000.
                              Who was Jody and what was Jody's gender?

Comment

• Jody was the pussified hippie dude who was always sleeping with the girl that GI's left behind

Later became the slang term for the songs that got sung to cadence... because many of them featured Jody... and what he was doing to Mary Jane Rottencrotch back home.

Cheers,

Sirhr
                                Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum

Oderint dum metuant

"You went full nerd with that reference." Thanks, I will wear that as a badge of honor!

Comment

• Well, that's the man staying home enjoying your girlfriend. "I saw Jody runnin' on his left right on left".

Comment

• Sir, you are faster that I can type!

Comment

• Engineering for 100.

This weapons system was inspired by bees.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Oderint dum metuant

"You went full nerd with that reference." Thanks, I will wear that as a badge of honor!

Comment

• M546, fired from a howitzer? Although there were many other versions.

Comment

• Beehives, got to love them. I saw them shot twice. Stick em to the trees, or whatever they were around.
                                          Jody, may be that pussified hippy, Bill, Bob, James, Rodney or was it that Bitch, Jodie, the cunt that had told you,"I will be here for you when you get back. My love for you will always be true." ??
                                          That dude just wanted to get a little and you may have been in his shoes a time or two and didn't know it. He was probably from the Navy and never saw shit let alone slept in the mud, or a collage student that had won her over. with his shit about how wrong the war was and fuck those that are in it.
                                          You were better off just thinking about Stella Lou Stoopentakeit or Rosie Palm.
                                          Last edited by Foul Mike; 10-12-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• Alex, what were Pink teams for $50.

Comment

• The air cover for "Blue Teams". One Loach and one Cobra. One from the White and one from the Red.

Comment

• Not entirely accurate, " Pinks" were mainly recon, read; go start some chit. If you start more than you can finish,key up and share the wealth with another pink, Red leg, ARA,Tac-air, The Jersey, who ever.
                                                For fourteen cents what were purple teams?
                                                Last edited by cav has been; 10-12-2017, 01:32 PM.
                                                Blackjack Pershing taught us all we need to know about dealing with Muslim Extremists.
                                                911 is government sponsered dial-a-prayer
                                                1st Cav. has been,"C" troop 1/9 Cav 68-69-70 RVN
                                                The wind is not your bitch
                                                Generally, you are the winds bitch. Fact!

Comment

• Actually beehives is a good guess.... But wrong... Named after them... Not inspired by them.

Try again!!

Cheers, Sirhr
                                                  Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 10-12-2017, 03:06 PM.

Oderint dum metuant

Comment

• It is only a guess, but are Purples, A Cobra supporting 2 two Blue leg platoons on the ground?
                                                    I always thought of a Pink Team as a Red[Cobra] working with a White[Loach] out hunting and killin.

Last edited by Foul Mike; 10-12-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X