728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target Detection

How many here practice target detection?

No shooting involved, an use different objects each trip.

We switch from spotting scope one trip to rifle scope the next plus, reticle range an plot at the same time. Cheap training an fun.
    Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying,...but,....Which Ever You Choose, Make A Difference,....
    Sometimes doing the right thing is the wrong thing to many, but once you become a felon by your hand or theirs, be the best you can be.
    Mother nature culls the weak an ill, mentally or otherwise. Man is doomed because he believes he smarter than mother nature by allowing the weak an ill to breed.

I wish we did more. My first PRS shoot I really struggled with this. If I'd trained like your saying I believe I could have done better. This is something not really talked about. But when there is a million hills and steel and targets all over the place, it's easy to get focused on whatever is in the scope or totally get lost in it when the adrenaline is pumping. Great shout out and thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Citius7 View Post
      I wish we did more. My first PRS shoot I really struggled with this. If I'd trained like your saying I believe I could have done better. This is something not really talked about. But when there is a million hills and steel and targets all over the place, it's easy to get focused on whatever is in the scope or totally get lost in it when the adrenaline is pumping. Great shout out and thought.
      Target detection is nothing but pure brain work, and is also a perishable skill if not used often. A simple course can be set up anywhere you can set up a spotting scope or unloaded rifle. You can also insert a KIM game or two as well. Knowing your reticle is key, then as long as you have target size and know your % of error on different colors in different lighting you are home free. When trying to detect a hidden target remember (1) there is nothing in mother nature that is perfectly round or square an (2) live vegetation wilts quickly in the heat an w/o water. Old manikins can be had cheap and old uniforms/clothes at Army/Navy stores make good set dressing as well as plastic guns painted green/OD or black. I have more fun setting up the course than anything else.
      Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying,...but,....Which Ever You Choose, Make A Difference,....
      Sometimes doing the right thing is the wrong thing to many, but once you become a felon by your hand or theirs, be the best you can be.
      Mother nature culls the weak an ill, mentally or otherwise. Man is doomed because he believes he smarter than mother nature by allowing the weak an ill to breed.

Comment

Love the match directors who place big (24"x24")bright colored placards "within 35yds" of a subdued scoring target for near location, reference. Then "help the shooter out" by using the most missed judged colors known on this rock.

If you can't get there, locate the target, an get back w/o leaking, your shooting ability an all your safe queen knowledge means nothing.
        Last edited by Gunfighter14e2; 06-30-2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

This is a thread that I hope sees a little more traffic. Target detection is something that is very perishable and that I need to practice. Every year when I go deer hunting, starting in September it seems I have to retrain my eyes. By the time deer hunting is done for the year in January, it seems I'm back on my game. Maybe this winter I'll have to develop a couple of drills to work on to keep my skills up.

On a side note, I'm always surprised at how well a white tailed deer cant blend in with most environments despite being essentially one color. Normally when hunting in early fall when the vegetation is still thick and maybe just starting to turn to fall colors many times all I'll pick out is the black on a nose or the flicker of a tail or ear when they're less than 100 yards out. Every year it makes me reconsider my camo selection.
          2015 AI AX308
          24" Bartlein 6.5 Creed w/ lil bastard
          S&B PMII 5-25x56 H59
          Spuhr 4002
          Atlas

Comment

Separating the back rounds to ID a shape is a learned skill, that is difficult for some to learn, do to a few inherited things. Another skill you want to learn/use is what was the standard at night long before night vision came out. Never look directly at a suspected object, always look all around it. Your peripheral vision will always pick up hidden or slight movement long before a long dead stare will, always.
            Glass makes seeing targets easier, once you know/learn where/how to study a area. In the 4 legged hunting world lite small 7x power binos work great for glassing for your quarry. In the two legged world upwards of 40-60x power is required/an usable at times. Remember for movement to take place there will always be a track left, always, no matter how many legs it has. 4 legs will trail stick most of the time, untrained two legs will as well to some extent. When glassing KIM a area to the point that when you return to it 3-5 minutes later new lumps an shadows/color changes stand out quickly. I was lucky I was taught this skill long ago or I would not be typing this now. Long story but short version is I was being stalked by a Wolverine an did not know it while guarding combat loaded M48a3 Tanks in Korea. The M14 I was carrying made short work of the rabid stalker, me memorizing every shadow/lump and using my peripheral is how I found/killed him. Later in my Military days this was(is) a very important skill set as normally he who gets first shot wins. Urban detection is in some ways easier an harder, yet the basics are still the starting foundation to build from.

The only way to learn the skill is to go do it with a partner, that is willing to be the target, or place objects w/o you knowing where. No need for a weapon to be taken an it draws much less attention as well. Everyday objects can be used an once you get the hang of it, switch to more difficult to detect targets either in size or placement. Be realistic in size vs distance an start out bigger an closer at first, then increase the difficulty as your skill starts to come along. After awhile the light will come on and it's all down hill from there. Remember if you can't detect your quarry, your shooting skill an custom safe queens mean nothing! Playing tag for real, is were perception will make you the first loser, quickly.

The skill sets I learned (1964-67) were taught until the early 70's that I know of. Today's teachings may be totally different based upon technology advances, hopefully guys getting out will chime in with want is being taught these days.
            Last edited by Gunfighter14e2; 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Go shoot the Steel Safari

Comment

Originally posted by RoterJager View Post
                This is a thread that I hope sees a little more traffic. Target detection is something that is very perishable and that I need to practice. Every year when I go deer hunting, starting in September it seems I have to retrain my eyes. By the time deer hunting is done for the year in January, it seems I'm back on my game. Maybe this winter I'll have to develop a couple of drills to work on to keep my skills up.

On a side note, I'm always surprised at how well a white tailed deer cant blend in with most environments despite being essentially one color. Normally when hunting in early fall when the vegetation is still thick and maybe just starting to turn to fall colors many times all I'll pick out is the black on a nose or the flicker of a tail or ear when they're less than 100 yards out. Every year it makes me reconsider my camo selection.
                It's not your eyes you have to re-train, it's your brain.
                aka "GrayRyder" with over 1,400 posts

Beanland - Danger Close Accurate

'What sort of Supreme Being would condone such irony?' - Burt Gummer

Comment

Originally posted by RedRyder View Post

It's not your eyes you have to re-train, it's your brain.
                  That is correct. Most people trust their eyes, but when camo is involved, it's task is to fool the eyes into thinking all is normal. Retraining the brain is not easy as most kids that enter the service have lived until then knowing they can trust their eyes to see everything. That is just not the case when camo is involved. Hunters have a better grip on this before they enter the military, but mostly only to the point if movement is involved. In my basic training unit target detection lasted about two hrs total. Trying to retrain the brain in two hrs was not going to happen but the instructors said, they were just looking for those who excelled, had a need mos and would send them to a dedicated target detection school after AIT & before they shipped across the pond. Only those crossing the pond to the west back then would receive the schooling, as schools were few an packed. This was in 1964 when V/N was just ramping up. Even those who had been to the school an had excelled there were TDY'ed to garden spots as traveling bands to ramp up those that never received any TD past basic. Folks who are color blind see objects quickly, folks with normal eyes require retraining, some are quickly re-trainable, an some take much longer. Point men who were good at TD were worth their salt, those point men who knew nothing about TD were fodder, simple as that.

Remember if you can't find the target you can't kill it. There is not a target that can't be found given unlimited time, but when time is short TD training is worth it's weight in gold. The old saying is " There is not a target that can't be found, nor is there a Target detection "Expert" that can't be shot trying to find the target.

If you know/remember the NVA sniper got first shot on Carlos an Burke, but lost the tagging contest in the end. But the fact remains the NVA sniper got first shot*, had he been inside of his circular probability of error, history may have been different.

* I think he got buck fever, over the money an fame that would have been his.

Comment

Interestingly had a sub match a few days ago, and the hit ratio was < 20%. Not from shooting, but a complete failure to find a subdued (not hidden) 4moa target that ranged from 25-300yds. 1" to 12" and they could not find them, makes you think about reality vs perception.

Comment

Working...
                    X