728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good knife

I am looking for a good fixed blade knife to put with my survival/BOB. Pack anyone have any suggestions

Originally posted by NY700 View Post

Anything ESEE is the way to go.

+1 for this. I really like my ESEE 3.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good knives aren't cheap and cheap knives aren't good, I don't care what anyone says. If I'm putting a knife in a BOB it's going to be something I can depend on. Its not like you can only use it in an end of times scenario. Get a Randall, Blackjack, Bark River, Essee or anything else of the same caliber. If it were me it would have a Carbon blade as well, YMMV.

Comment

Hey guys!
        Check out J. Wolfe Cutlery.

Josh is an active Army soldier, past sniper school instructor and all around great guy! He makes custom fixed blades for people. I think he only has a Facebook account for the business at the moment. Do yourselves a favor and check them out. Extremely strong, well thought out survival knives.

Comment

Zero Tolerance, very solid knives.

Comment

I have owned and used several different brands from busse to mora. One question aside from cost is intended purpose. Different edge types for different uses. Personally, I have found through experience that I desire to have an axe for limbic and splitting while reserving the knife for carving and slicing purposes. Scandinavian grinds are easy to sharpen for less experienced bushcrafters. One knife company I recommend is TOPS. They have a Tahoma field knife that has been designed to replace several tools and it is a good design. You can find the for about 150 on bladehq. I lean towards moral in the field because of price and performance and use them... I also prefer to put in my bug out bag that which I have personally tried and found to be rugged and robust for my purposes. Another recommendation would be the mora garberg... I also second the comments recommending two knives. I have often kept a smaller fixed blade for food prep and small carving tasks... also for hygiene in the field important to not cross contaminate prep and eating tools imho. Good luck on your quest and if you have not researched your area. You may want to join a local bushcraft group to sharpen skills and check out what others use so you can save money without experimenting (like I did lol). Fyi if you go carbon steel keep small amount of olive oil on cotton ball to treat blade after use to prevent corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by Schleifalot View Post
              In a BOB should go no expensive equipment IMHO. It sits around most of the time.
              I believe the exact opposite. A BOB/GHB should be used by the owner as often as possible so he is familiar with the gear and trusts it with his life! If a BOB/GHB has to be used for the emergency we built it for, the equipment must be dependable.

So said, I have upgraded my GHB to the best gear I've found and used over the last 35 years. My original gear was stuff I had laying around, mostly for hunting and camping as junior high kid. Over the decades I've bought better equipment that has been used in real situations through hunting, camping and backyard testing.

Now does each item cost a lot? Some do, others are rather inexpensive from a $125 Tops Pasayten fixed blade to a $12 Mora. Each has their place but the key is I know they will do the jobs I ask of them because I've been using them extensively. Please don't let your BOB/GHBs sit around unused!
              Plainsman
              plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com
              http://www.stormloader.com/plainsman...mansCabin.html

Comment

Bradford guardian 4 or 5 are fantastic knives.
                The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne
                "Do not pray for an easy life, acquire the strength to endure a difficult one" -Bruce Lee

Comment

Buddy of mine (he is here on SH, but not very active) is making amazing Bushcraft knives. I posted pictures of one of his that I took deer hunting in Ohio a couple of years ago.

He is actually not that expensive.... makes everything himself, including the sheaths. His metalworking is great. And his knives are rugged as hell.

PM me and I'll get you guys in touch.

Cheers,

Sirhr

P.S. He shoots a TRG... and just got a 6.5. He is a pretty serious long-range shooter. We have shot together quite a few times!
                  Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum

Oderint dum metuant

"You went full nerd with that reference." Thanks, I will wear that as a badge of honor!

Comment

The title of this thread, in the form of a question, is "What's a good knife?"

The answer to the question, is "One that holds an edge and ability to perform the intended task."

Now, over the years, I have sharpened a knife or two. I don't do it for a living, but I have many MANY people bringing their knives to me (and other assorted 'edged' items) to get taken care-of, properly. I have long ago stated that I will NOT waste my time, infrastructure, or their money doing any work on 'cheap' blades. Such as those 24 piece sets that one would get from Wally-world, that comes with a piece-of-shit knife-block AND 6 extra other gizmo-gadgets for only $18.99,,, and if you call right now......

Soft metal is immediately 'felt' when attempting to do any sharpening. Soft metal is the bane of all knives. Real knives DON'T have soft metal.

Now, the next question is "what is the task intended?" Do you want a medium-long sturdy blade, for piercing between the ribs to julienne an enemy sentry's heart in the middle of the night during a strategic and tactical evolution against a taliban stronghold, OR do you want a long and flexible blade to glide along the ribs of a flat-head catfish that you're filleting for dinner for the family during a holiday fishing trip?

Two totally different knives, for two totally different uses, and each requiring the same two parameters. Edge, and Ribs. In two different ways. And those aren't the only two parameters that exist. There are many more.

So, after all that blathering diatribe, I'll retort back to the lumberjack OP's question, and ask:

"What is a good knife for (fill in this blank)?"

Do you want to talk about Rockwell C, length, height, thickness, hilt, handle, pommel, sheath, edge, dual-edged, serrations, shape, color, rolled metal, folded metal, forged metal, cast metal, sintered metal, stamped metal, water-quenched, oil-quenched, ice-quenched, salt-quenched, bare metal, coated, hinged, partial-tang, full-tang, screwed-handle, riveted-handle, molded-handle, or anything else?

Ceramics and polymers aside, of course.
                    God Bless, Stay Safe, and Remember! Go big, or go home.
                    My own "Good Guy List": http://forum.snipershide.com/firearm...ml#post1761755

Comment

Another vote for the Esse if you want to spend the money on it. The Mora knives are great. They are cheap, sharp, and durable. I've had one in my backpacking kit for years. They also do not weigh much vs their strength. For a hiking or bugout kit weight becomes an issue when you have to hump it all over the place.

Comment

A goddamn Randall or a Winkler, enough said.

I prefer a small tomahawk myself. Winkler makes a couple that are impossible to beat. Expensive but worth it.

But to be honest, a $40 Ka-Bar has seen by far the most use.

Comment

Originally posted by black max View Post
                          Good knives aren't cheap and cheap knives aren't good, I don't care what anyone says. If I'm putting a knife in a BOB it's going to be something I can depend on. Its not like you can only use it in an end of times scenario. Get a Randall, Blackjack, Bark River, Essee or anything else of the same caliber. If it were me it would have a Carbon blade as well, YMMV.
                          I like Olfa touchknives. I get them free and they are the knife I use the most. Most people spend more time skinning amazon boxes then animals anyway.

Comment

I just ordered an ESEE 4 based on some reviews I've seen floating around the YouTube

Comment

We have a long tradition of threads like this here at The Hide.

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/...odcraft-knives

Comment

Once upon a time I loved questions like this as what one considers a "good knife" some of us wouldn't use for love or money. For me, I deal with custom knife makers every day. That is a literal statement, everyday I talk to them and take orders for Leatherwork. I make a LOT of sheaths for custom knives. I have seen knife makers come and knife makers go. All with the latest greatest thing or catchy fad steel or coating. Some are nice and some aren't even worth setting on a shelf to look at. For me, I am hard on a knife. Especially a belt knife. Mine are expected to perform various difficult tasks weekly if not daily. As such I have had a good number and most have ended up in my junk drawer. It includes some of the knives mentioned here. If you are a weekend state park bushcrafter then many will work. If you intend to take a deer or elk apart with a knife, pay attention.

Some time ago I got a call from a MASTER ABS knife smith wanting me to make some sheaths for a few knives. We worked out the details and we were talking when he asked if he could send me a knife to evaluate. I laughed at him initially as I have had tons of guys send me knives and as I said, most end scrap in my junk drawer or sent back with my apologies. We talked a little more and discussed the life that a knife on my belt was expected to live and he sent me a blade to scale myself. That was three or four years ago and that knife still resides on my belt. I have not been able to kill it, bed it break it or make it fail and trust me I have done some ridiculous things with it. TO include driving it into a spruce tree with my axe to use it as a step. I have processed numerous deer and elk with it and cut anything and everything. It IS the best knife I have ever owned. The maker is Ray Kirk, and his mark is RAKER knives. He makes no nonsense working blades without all the fluff. He is the winner of many, Many awards for ABS cutting competitions and the guy is a genius with 52100 steel. As Crocodile Dundee says, now that's a knife".
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by MTFalconer; 10-03-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

There are many but the ones I own and have not had any issues with are the esee as others have mentioned and the kabar bk2 (though it is much heavier).

Comment

+1 for the ESEE. I keep one in my camping pack and it is all business.

Comment

Originally posted by MTFalconer View Post
                                      Once upon a time I loved questions like this as what one considers a "good knife" some of us wouldn't use for love or money. For me, I deal with custom knife makers every day. That is a literal statement, everyday I talk to them and take orders for Leatherwork. I make a LOT of sheaths for custom knives. I have seen knife makers come and knife makers go. All with the latest greatest thing or catchy fad steel or coating. Some are nice and some aren't even worth setting on a shelf to look at. For me, I am hard on a knife. Especially a belt knife. Mine are expected to perform various difficult tasks weekly if not daily. As such I have had a good number and most have ended up in my junk drawer. It includes some of the knives mentioned here. If you are a weekend state park bushcrafter then many will work. If you intend to take a deer or elk apart with a knife, pay attention.

Some time ago I got a call from a MASTER ABS knife smith wanting me to make some sheaths for a few knives. We worked out the details and we were talking when he asked if he could send me a knife to evaluate. I laughed at him initially as I have had tons of guys send me knives and as I said, most end scrap in my junk drawer or sent back with my apologies. We talked a little more and discussed the life that a knife on my belt was expected to live and he sent me a blade to scale myself. That was three or four years ago and that knife still resides on my belt. I have not been able to kill it, bed it break it or make it fail and trust me I have done some ridiculous things with it. TO include driving it into a spruce tree with my axe to use it as a step. I have processed numerous deer and elk with it and cut anything and everything. It IS the best knife I have ever owned. The maker is Ray Kirk, and his mark is RAKER knives. He makes no nonsense working blades without all the fluff. He is the winner of many, Many awards for ABS cutting competitions and the guy is a genius with 52100 steel. As Crocodile Dundee says, now that's a knife".
                                      I am lucky enough to own a Raker and love it. I have to agree they are top shelf!
                                      SEMPER FI

We can not change the situations we are put in, only how those situations affect us.
                                      Home of the free because of the brave!

Comment

Yup, Ray can and will make you a pretty knife but pretty knives don't stay pretty for long if they are used hard. He would much rather make a knife that will last a lifetime and take a beating. I can't say enough about his work.

Comment

the knife i have at hand depends on the task. daily carry? benchmade pardue. hunting knife? puma. beat around knife? gerber strongarm.

Comment

Originally posted by MTFalconer View Post

Man that is a nice looking toad stabber and the sheath isn't too shabby either! I don't use a knife that hard as I usually have more than one and am not often that far away from an axe or a motorsagen. But.. I have this thing about knives I'll have to check Raker.
                                            Blackjack Pershing taught us all we need to know about dealing with Muslim Extremists.
                                            911 is government sponsered dial-a-prayer
                                            1st Cav. has been,"C" troop 1/9 Cav 68-69-70 RVN
                                            The wind is not your bitch
                                            Generally, you are the winds bitch. Fact!

Comment

Working...
                                            X