728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good knife

I am looking for a good fixed blade knife to put with my survival/BOB. Pack anyone have any suggestions

How much do you want to spend?

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Comment

$200 or less

Comment

You should be able to scare up an Esse 4 for @ $100.

ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training
        Two books every American should read:

The Tavistock Institute of Human Relations - Shaping the Moral, Spiritual, Cultural, and Political Decline of the United States of America (a free PDF)

The Creature From Jekyll Island - A Second look at the Federal Reserve (a free PDF)

Comment

Agreed. The EESE knives are good for that. They sharpen easily and hold an edge pretty decent.

Comment

Esee, Zero tolerance,DPx would be my choices in that price range

Comment

Joe, I would look into procuring a few Moras. I prefer the Erikson Models. They have great steel, they are very affordable ($10-20), and they are expendable. As a companion to a few of those the EESE knives are great, as are the Ontario Ranger Series. My person favorite would be a 4"-5" (this size blade is far more usable without unnecessary weight) knife like the following:

Rodent 4 - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

Rodent Solution - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

SYKCO 411 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

SYKCO 511 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

Chip

P.S. If I haven't said it to you recently, Thank You for Your Service! I appreciate the freedoms you afford the rest of us Americans, and the Sacrifices you make for us!

P.P.S I appear to have confused you with the other Big Joe. None the less if you served I do thank you.
              Last edited by The_Count; 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Moras are good cheap knives! I use a Mora Outdoor 2000

Mora 2000 Outdoors Knife Review - YouTube

Another good, but more expensive Scandinavian option is the Fallkniven. Here is a link to their website: Military knives
                I can shoot moa sized groups all day, every day, with pretty much any rifle.
                It's just a pity that I don't live in New Zealand, and that they're extinct.........

Comment

I
                  Originally posted by The_Count View Post
                  Joe, I would look into procuring a few Moras. I prefer the Erikson Models. They have great steel, they are very affordable ($10-20), and they are expendable. As a companion to a few of those the EESE knives are great, as are the Ontario Ranger Series. My person favorite would be a 4"-5" (this size blade is far more usable without unnecessary weight) knife like the following:

Rodent 4 - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

Rodent Solution - Swamp Rat Knife Works Store

SYKCO 411 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

SYKCO 511 - Scrap Yard Knife Company

I know you have great tastes, Joe, and I don't think any of the above will let you down. They all have great steel, a great convex edge, and a great warranty.

Chip

P.S. If I haven't said it to you recently, Thank You for Your Service! I appreciate the freedoms you afford the rest of us Americans, and the Sacrifices you make for us!
                  I forgot about the swamprat knives.

Comment

They are great knives. I forgot to mention that they do not come with sheaths. There are several Sheath Makers out there for the Busse family of knives. Mashed Cat is on good example.

Scrap Yard Sheaths Products - Mashed Cat Outfitters Inc.

Comment

In a BOB should go no expensive equipment IMHO. It sits around most of the time.
                      Mora knives are great for the price. Add a good pocket tool and a parang and you have all cutting works covered.

Here are some cheap but very useable examples Parang Bidor
                      "An armed society is a polite society" R. A. Heinlein

Comment

BK2 & Moras are my choices that I've put through some decent bushcrafting. My BK2 has been used very rough at times and it's a tank.

Comment

For $200, BK2, micarta scales and (6) 12 packs of PBR.

Comment

Falkniven

Comment

Anything that suits you from Zero Tolerance is likely to be a solid buy.

Comment

The Ontario Rat series of knives are great for the price. I have a RAT 5 that has served me well though I haven't exactly beaten the shit out of it.
                                Last edited by GlockBlock; 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Don't overlook the Kabar knife made out of D2 steel. It is a bit big for some things, but it there are some tasks that a smaller knife just can't be made to do. (Obviously, the same logic applies to big knives)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Honcho View Post
                                    You should be able to scare up an Esse 4 for @ $100.

ESEE Knives - Randall's Adventure and Training
                                    I too love the ESEEs. Great knives.
                                    "The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

- Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Comment

glock model78...buy 5 of em? tuff and expendable
                                      dhs wants to put ther dik in our arse, thanks obama!

Comment

Originally posted by Big joe View Post
                                        $200 or less
                                        $200 bucks........Bark River Bravo 1. Comes with a nice leather sheath too.
                                        Proud Father, Former Marine, and Mack truck driver.

Comment

Anything by Benchmade.

Comment

Ka Bar , Becker or Cold Steel .

Comment

Originally posted by mackdrvr View Post
                                              $200 bucks........Bark River Bravo 1. Comes with a nice leather sheath too.
                                              Yep Bark River makes some nice blades.
                                              SEMPER FI

We can not change the situations we are put in, only how those situations affect us.
                                              Home of the free because of the brave!

Comment

I've got both Mora and Helle knives around and you can't beat them for the money! I've got a pile of blades but 99% of the time I walk out the door with a rifle or shotgun, one of the Helle's is on my belt. Laminated stainless that holds a razor sharp edge through 4 whitetails and well under a hundred bucks..what's not to like?
                                                It's still "the land of the free, home of the brave," right?

Comment

I bought a Bullnose Skinner from Ben at Fallen Oak Forge and it is solid. His prices are really good for a custom knife, and if you don't see something you like, or want to make a change you can just ask him.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/FallenOakForge

Comment

Working...
                                                  X