728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Trap - seeking plans/advice

I want to make a tank trap out of wood to practice with in my backyard, therefore it doesn't need to be portable. Should be pretty simple to make, but I do not have measurements. Does anyone have dimensions or plans?
    "Preparation for tomorrow is hard work today" -Bruce Lee

"Spectacular achievement is always preceded by unspectacular preparation." -Robert H. Schuller

I used 6' 4x4's for mine, knocked the sharp edge off with the router. Used carriage bolts to hold it together, I didn't crank the bolts down leaving it slightly wobbly. I made a big X, then added the third piece.

Comment

That is essentially all there is to it unless you want it more perfect (not necessary really). If you want to lay it out first, measure to the center of the 4x4 lengthwise and draw a line edge-to-edge. Them mark for drilling 1-5/8" from one side of that line. Drill through. Turn 4x4 over so that you can mark and drill another hole 1-5/8" on the other side of that line, but on the adjacent side. You will now have two drilled through holes that are 3-1/2" apart, each 1-5/8" from the center of the board and perpendicular to each other.

Pre-drill all three 4x4s that way. I then used 8" long hex head bolts, two washers each and a nylock nut to assemble them together. I did tighten them up quite a bit, since mine was assembled at our club and gets quite a bit of use. Therefore it gets loose enough through use.

Oh, and I used 8'x4"x4"s.

Comment

Originally posted by lash View Post
        That is essentially all there is to it unless you want it more perfect (not necessary really). If you want to lay it out first, measure to the center of the 4x4 lengthwise and draw a line edge-to-edge. Them mark for drilling 1-5/8" from one side of that line. Drill through. Turn 4x4 over so that you can mark and drill another hole 1-5/8" on the other side of that line, but on the adjacent side. You will now have two drilled through holes that are 3-1/2" apart, each 1-5/8" from the center of the board and perpendicular to each other.

Pre-drill all three 4x4s that way. I then used 8" long hex head bolts, two washers each and a nylock nut to assemble them together. I did tighten them up quite a bit, since mine was assembled at our club and gets quite a bit of use. Therefore it gets loose enough through use.

Oh, and I used 8'x4"x4"s.
        Thanks for the info. So approximately how high is the point where the three 4x4's cross?

"Spectacular achievement is always preceded by unspectacular preparation." -Robert H. Schuller

Comment

Originally posted by missed View Post
          I used 6' 4x4's for mine, knocked the sharp edge off with the router. Used carriage bolts to hold it together, I didn't crank the bolts down leaving it slightly wobbly. I made a big X, then added the third piece.
          Excellent. I never even considered having it wobbly, I appreciate the thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazin View Post

Thanks for the info. So approximately how high is the point where the three 4x4's cross?
            If your question is what height is the crossing point after assembly, I would say it is about 3 to 3-1/2 feet where you can rest your weapon in the crease. I would measure it, but it is in the field at our club and I won't be there for a couple weeks.

Comment

Oh thank goodness. When I saw the thread title I thought it was a prepper. It sounds like you're asking about the Czech "hedgehog" style of tank obstacle.

I was was going to refer you to the Anti-Armor FM for schematics on tank ditches, abatis, log hurdles, etc. of course a lot of those work best if you've got some anti tank guided missiles or combined arms.
              I am The German's spirit animal

Comment

Lol yeah. For us it's just another shooting obstacle to make things interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeybrown View Post
                  Oh thank goodness. When I saw the thread title I thought it was a prepper. It sounds like you're asking about the Czech "hedgehog" style of tank obstacle.

I was was going to refer you to the Anti-Armor FM for schematics on tank ditches, abatis, log hurdles, etc. of course a lot of those work best if you've got some anti tank guided missiles or combined arms.
                  That's too funny. My neighbors would know I completely lost my mind if my property had tank traps around the perimeter.

Comment

Working...
                  X