728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just finished my first knife

I figured I would try my hand at knife making. After watching countless hours of YouTube, I ordered some O1 tool steel, brass pin stock and some micarta grips. I didn't have any fancy knife tools. I mainly used a grinder and hand files to do all the work. I made a filing jig courtesy of Gough customs video and had at it. I decided to parkerize the steel when I was finished to give the steel a durable finish that looked good.

I bought a small belt grinder about half way through and found that it is a real good way of screwing things up. I think I will stick to files for the final finish next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just finished my first a few days ago.. forged from 1/4x3 flat and walnut handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "money cant buy precision, you must be born with it"

Comment

That's impressive. Never thought of making my own knife. I like the idea

Comment

Since then, I made a few more...

These were some neck knives I made that have 1.5" blades and can be worn around the neck with a piece of paracord for around camp use or just an easy to hide knife.

This one was more of a bushcraft/hunting knife made from 3/16"

Made this one for my 8 year old nephew who is crazy about knives and is in the Boy Scouts

And made these. The small gut hook one is like the outdoor edge ones but smaller and works like a charm. I tested it on 4 deer and an elk and it was still sharp. The Schrade looking one was made for my Dad who loves this type of knife and I made this one so he would have one that would stay sharp and be more durable.

Comment

Impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great work guys! Do you do your own kydex work too?

Comment

Originally posted by Nooch13 View Post
              Great work guys! Do you do your own kydex work too?
              Thanks. Yep, did my own Kydex too. It is fairly easy to do it. All you need is a home made press, grommet tools, an oven and something to grind/cut away the excess.

Comment

Originally posted by veezer View Post

Thanks. Yep, did my own Kydex too. It is fairly easy to do it. All you need is a home made press, grommet tools, an oven and something to grind/cut away the excess.
                any chance of seeing a pic of your press?

Comment

Basically, just like this one but I used the foam that knife kits.com sells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx8vw_8kdVU

Comment

you are now a god in your nephews eye's, he will keep that knife forever. excellent skills you have there sir.
                    Last edited by gatorbait308; 03-28-2017, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Veezer and all you others, really nice job and wish I could do that.

Comment

made a handful over the past few months...mostly out of files/rasps, but the black ones (cerakoted) were done with 1095...the piece of 1095 stock i got wasnt perfectly flat on both sides and it kept wanting to warp on me so that was a pain...idk if that was causing the warp or my quench process, but the files never gave me an issue...no expert tho, was just bored one day and decided to have at it

Comment

Thanks for posting . Very inspirational . I've been bit by the knife bug as of late . We are doing home remodeling so I'm in the firearms no by zone . Been wanting to try an infantry fighting knife with W1 . Your finished product looks great .

Comment

There is some really cool stuff here!

Great work, folks.

Cheers,

Sirhr
                            Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum

Oderint dum metuant

"You went full nerd with that reference." Thanks, I will wear that as a badge of honor!

Comment

Nice job. blade looks real good

Comment

looks awsome let me know what u are charging for one good job brother

Comment

Working...
                                X