728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Everyday/Everywhere" CCW question

I carry pretty much everyday that I'm off of work. I also travel ALOT. In any given month, I'll put 5k miles on my truck. During my travels I inevitably have to take a dump in a public restroom. I carry a full size 1911 and, more often than not, there isn't anywhere to set my gun, while I, well, you know,... except the floor. I don't put my 1911 on the floor, instead, it goes in my skivvies. Seriously. I prefer to put it on the TP dispenser if that's an option. So, to all of you guys that purport to carry 24/7, what do you do in a "no place to put your gun" situation? Dead serious question.
    "You absolutely need to be a diehard 1911 aficionado, and must be ready to accept that you could buy two to four of any other modern service pistol for the price of one 1911 that is good to go. You will not find any true bargains, nor should you be looking for one when your safety is on the line."- Hilton Yam

Re: "Everyday/Everywhere" CCW question

Slide it down between ankle and pant leg barrel down or try to do the ol drop em just to the knees. I wear a crossbreed so I don't have to worry about it falling out. Just wanna make sure it can't be seen from under the stall.
    "Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander." -Holocaust Museum, Washington D.C

U of I PTI Certified Police Firearms Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

Remington 700 5r barreled action
    Jewell trigger
    Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56MM/NF 20MOA Base
    Manners T4A w/ mini chasiss in GAP molded camo modded for AI mags.

Comment

I don't carry a full size pistol, instead a G19 or Sig 229. I leave it in the Galco IWB holster in a public restroom and just watch which stall I pick. At home it goes on the counter. Yes, I've done the in the skivvies trick too when necessary. Jacket weather it goes in the pocket.
      We are not nation building again. We are killing terrorists.
      The President

Comment

I carry a 642 in my pants pocket. There is never a question what to do with it, its always there, no one knows, and there is no chance I'm going to leave it in a public restroom unless I leave my pants there also.
        Kraig Stuart
        Distinguished Rifle Badge #1071
        USAMU Sniper School, Oct '78

Comment

It stays in my Kramer Leather Works IWB...
          MOLON LABE

Comment

My rohrbaugh stays in my pocket

Comment

I think its a bad idea to lay it on the TP dispenser. WAY too likely to forget it there. Also, DON'T break the rule of safety that specifies the muzzle may not be pointing at something that ought not be destroyed (your ankle for example).

Honesly, sounds like you need a different gun.

Comment

Originally Posted By: johnson5R
                I wear a crossbreed so I don't have to worry about it falling out.

+1
                It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great Psalms 18:30-35

Comment

I set my Warthog on the tp dispenser once and I knocked it off getting tp. It made a terribly loud clank when it smacked the floor. If needed know I slide it in my shoe or ankle
                  "Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."
                  ó Heraclitus

Comment

I carry a Glock 22 in a Blade-tech UCH IWB and it stays put until I go to bed and I put it on my dresser. You might check one out they carry a big gun very well.
                    "This is a web site for serious tactical marksmen. There probably is a web site for serious tactical whiners. If you find it, don't come back to give us the link."-Lindy

Comment

Thanks for all of the, you-should-carry-something-else recommendations. That's not what I was looking for. I've carried these other sidearms:
                      Glocks- 19,22,23 & 29
                      Sigs- 229 & 226
                      Kahr- PM40
                      HK- USP, USP Tactical & HK45
                      Kimber- CDP & TRL

I prefer my full size Warrior. It can't/won't stay in the holster all day. I put it in a Serpa that sits in the cup holder when I'm driving. I do need to find a way to secure the Serpa to the console though, although it is nice to be able to put it away if necessary. It would be a literal pain in the back if I simply left it in my holster at all times.

I've got a pretty good system down for the scenario that I laid out in my original post. I was just wondering what the rest of you do in that situation. It is difficult to leave the weapon holstered, then buckle my belt and button my pants(I have at least 1 spare mag in my pants too, along with a pocket knife).
                      "You absolutely need to be a diehard 1911 aficionado, and must be ready to accept that you could buy two to four of any other modern service pistol for the price of one 1911 that is good to go. You will not find any true bargains, nor should you be looking for one when your safety is on the line."- Hilton Yam

Comment

Op, you dont need a new gun, you need a GOOD iwb such as milt sparks vm2. I carry a sig220 carry, it stays in my vm2 whether I am taking a dumb, driving, dancing etc, I dont have to worry about it. Sometimes I do put it in my pants when Im on the toilet muzzle always back towards the toilet and down.
                        In 1773 God guts and guns made America free, At ANY price keep all three!!!

"The dogs bark and the caravan rolls on"

Smooth transactions with One_Feather, Magnumdood, Nailz, cstactical, osuaricetecht, Shooter McGavin, ceylonc, fdsniper

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01...x5qqy10o&hl=en

Comment

I carry a full size gun and if the holster/belt combo is stiff enough, it stays in the holster. If not, same solution you came up with. Don't like the baby changer/TP dispenser for grab/forget issues.

Comment

First thing that came to my mind.

Leave it in the holster. Keep a jacket, bag, shirt, anything in your truck. When you go to do your business take the jacket, bag, shirt, whatever with you and cover it up while you do your business.

Comment

I laughed when I read this. Just took care of business today in a Shell station in SC on the way back from Alabama. The 1911 sits very well in my crossbreed while on the throne.

Comment

My M-Tac holds whichever Sig I happen to be carrying just fine while doing the duece in public restrooms. I would advise against stowing your gun anywhere off-body. Air Marshal's leave guns in airport restrooms somehwere in the country at least once a month, by one FAM's own admission.
                                Fast is fine, accuracy is final.

Comment

CrossBreed Super Tuck Deluxe holds my full size 1911 beautifully. i also have their belt which is nice and stiff so everything stays put.

Comment

Full size Sig P220R in a Blade Tech IWB.
                                    The pistol is too heavy to stay put.
                                    The skivvy trick or a coat pocket is all I've found that works.
                                    I will use a sink counter top if in arms reach. I don't want to end up like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. LOL!
                                    "A Shot is Rarely Taken from the Prone"

http://www.hogsaddle.com/
                                    HOG Saddle MOD7- NSN 1005-01-616-2719

Comment

To a question for y'all that leave your piece in its holster either IWB or OWB:

How do you ensure the pistol can't be seen by someone that is deucing in the stall next to yours?

I generally carry either a S&W 442 in the pocket, or a Kahr PM9 in the pocket...so in both cases the piece remains well concealed.

Other times, I carry a Glock 20/21 in an Alessi shoulder rig, so this whole question just doesn't apply.

When I used to carry an XD40sc or Glock 30 either IWB or OWB, I never found a good method to handle this issue we're talking about. Either I had to set the pistol on the TP dispenser, which was horrible, or the pistol was flopping around on the waistband of the pants ankles, and not being kept concealed, or its muzzle properly controlled.

Comment

It's not the gun I carry into the bathroom with me that I woory about. It's the rifle anf gear I cannot carry into the bathroom with me when I'm going to/from a match. I hate that it's just laying there in the bed of the truck. It make me huury thru things that need not be rushed. I have had to stop twice (once and then at the next exit) cause of the rushing to complete the job at hand. I to have been know to lay my pistol on the tp dispensor or back of the john if it's a housde style toilet. Have also layed it in the sink of I can reach it. But it does stay in reach of the pot.

Comment

Those of you who use the TP dispenser, what do you do with it when you need TP? Also, I'm not sure how one can forget it on the dispenser when that's one of the last things you use...

Sniper's Hide FAQs - Start here

Comment

Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW
                                            Those of you who use the TP dispenser, what do you do with it when you need TP? Also, I'm not sure how one can forget it on the dispenser when that's one of the last things you use...

I'm glad people are finding some humor in my post. When I say TP dispenser, I mean a flat housing over the roll, not setting it on the roll itself. One of the reasons I take it out of the holster is to keep it from sight under the stall and another is to have it readily available. Honestly, when are more vunerable? Your pants are literally around your ankles. Leaving it in the stall on accident isn't a concern of mine. If that happens, something is seriously wrong and I shouldn't be carrying. It is something I've witnessed before though when I was back in college and busting tires while I wasn't in class. One of the "real" cowboys left around came in and left his revolver on the floor next to the shitter; true story. I wonder if anyone has ever fumbled their weapon and had it end up in the john?(not that they'd admit it anyway) :-) Great discussion guys, that's what I was looking for.

Comment

Obviously you need another gun, not because it's full size, but because it's a 1911 obviously [img]<>/laugh.gif[/img]....
                                              on another note.... you wear skivies? What's up w/ that? Dead serious question...
                                              There's a message in my trail boss....it says "ooooooooo."

Comment

Originally Posted By: ewoaf
                                                Obviously you need another gun, not because it's full size, but because it's a 1911 obviously [img]<>/laugh.gif[/img]....
                                                on another note.... you wear skivies? What's up w/ that? Dead serious question...

If I don't keep it up out of the way, I step on it occasionally. Hence the skivvies. Dead serious. I always think I need another gun...so I get one, and it's just not as carry-able, concealable or shoot-able as a 1911. 1911- there's no substitute.

Comment

This may be getting a bit personal, but...

Wear boxers, and just drape the boxers over the holstered sidearm as you let them down onto your feet/the ground. It's basically concealed from view, still safely holstered, and easily accessible should the end of the world transpire whilst sitting on the throne.

Problem solved, next problem please.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X