This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LMT .308 MWS

Anyone have a range report, or word from the Brit's deployed with them?
    " To bear arms implies something more than the mere keeping; it implies learning to handle and use them in a way that makes those who keep them ready for their efficient use " - Judge Thomas Cooley, General Principles of Constitutional Law, 1880

• From the ones I've seen at the LGS - yes. Seems to have started being 308 since about late 2014 but I'm not positive.

Comment

• Bought a 16" stainless barrel for mine last month directly from LMT.
      It is marked 762X51mm.

Comment

• interesting. I have a feeling the SS 16" is somewhat new commercially, as these are made for the L219A1.

Comment

• My manufacture date was 12/2013 and it's 7.62 marked, including the 16" SS barrel. Just FYI...

Comment

• FWIW, I bought mine in November of 2015. Not sure of the manufacture date, but my local dealer had advertised a super low price and sold out - so he special ordered mine directly from LMT. Receiver is marked "CAL 7.62X51MM" and just under that "LM308MWS", while the 16" barrel is marked "MP 7.62 NATO 1/10 CB".

Still learning to shoot the .308 gas gun, but it is starting to show some promise with 42 gr of Varget + or - in LC cases and 168s. Hoping to tame it with a SureFire brake and maybe a PRS stock I have on hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roscoe_M4 View Post
              FWIW, I bought mine in November of 2015. Not sure of the manufacture date, but my local dealer had advertised a super low price and sold out - so he special ordered mine directly from LMT. Receiver is marked "CAL 7.62X51MM" and just under that "LM308MWS", while the 16" barrel is marked "MP 7.62 NATO 1/10 CB".

Still learning to shoot the .308 gas gun, but it is starting to show some promise with 42 gr of Varget + or - in LC cases and 168s. Hoping to tame it with a SureFire brake and maybe a PRS stock I have on hand.
              SF break will help for sure. I have a 16" MWS Pigman that has one.

Comment

• Those are definitely solid platforms, and man do that shoot real well.
                www.cstactical.com
                Call for hide pricing at 916.670.1103

sales@cstactical.com
                Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

Comment

• Originally posted by CSTactical View Post
                  Those are definitely solid platforms, and man do that shoot real well.
                  Really solid, Amazing build quality.

Just breaking in mine, a slick side LM8MWS with 16" chrome lined barrel, mounted correctly with a USO SR6. I am getting used to the rifle now with about 200 rounds through it. What a great rifle - so easy and smooth to shoot, doesn't feel like a 308. I have not gotten great accuracy so far, 2MOA, strangely about the same with MEN and Fed XM80C ball ammo as with BH and FGMM 168's and M118, but that may be me.

I emailed the factory and asked what shoots best in this barrel, and they told me the following: "With the chrome lined 1:10 barrel we actually recommend a lighter grain bullet – 149-160. Try that and see if it shoots any better for you."

Most of my experience in rifle comes mostly from loading for and shooting 77 and 80 gr SMK's from White Oak service rifle uppers in high power. I have no experience at all trying to get tight groups from CL barrels. Maybe someone could explain to me why the factory would make this recommendation.

Funny that a heavier bullet would not shoot better in a tighter twist. Especially strange with this rifle where the UK ordered a 1:11.25 bbl to be able to shoot its 155gr precision loads and de linked 149 gr MG ammo.

It's fine having a chrome lined barrel for shooting inexpensive attracts-a-magnet MG ammo at a steel plate. (It's great for ringing 12" plate at 200.) But I ordered the stainless 1:11.25 bbl.

I really like this rifle. Sneaking off from home and work to go shoot it.
                  Last edited by fivescrew; 09-22-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• I found an old box of 7.62x51 FGMM 175's at the LGS hidden in the back of a shelf of 175 .308's. They sold it to me for $12.00 because they are a bit oxidized. Shot a .60 group at 100 meters with the first 5 out of the box - SS 16" and my friend's CL 16" shot 1.1" with the next 5. They are labeled FC 13. Your MWS will shoot what it shoots - buy and try. I don't believe there are any hard and fast rules when you are between 1/10 and 1/12 twist with a 7.62/.308 until you go to 185's +. I just received my 6.5 CM bbl from LMT and I'm hoping it won't disappoint.

Comment

• Hey fellas. I have about 300 rounds through my MWS as of now and I fricken love this rifle. It's gotta be the most bombproof rifle on earth. I have a 16" CL barrel and with match handloads (175's and 178's) it hovers around 1" for 5 shot groups. I've yet to clean the rifle since I got it and every round has passed through a SF suppressor. So yes the rifle is filthy.

I've read in the past that the CL barrels like being dirty so that's why I haven't scrubbed the bore. Is there anything else I should be doing to chase a bit more accuracy out of this BBL?

Comment

• That's pretty good for a CL barrel. Occasionally you'll run into one that's half moa but pretty uncommon. I guess I made a mistake; my .75 groups went away after 2 doses of wipeout. I cleaned with a JP bore guide and clean Dewey rod with VFG pellets and the 16" SS is now at about 1.5 moa after 40 rounds of the stuff that used to shoot well - FGMM. I know for damn sure that I didn't hurt anything with cleaning but I remember that the rifle shot like that when it was new. Back then I was about ready to sell it after a hundred or so rounds but I put it in the safe and kinda forgot about it. My buddy got one and I decided to bring mine out again. Same meager performance but we were just shooting jugs at about five hundred yards. My hits became so precise that I decided to shoot a couple of groups at 100 yds and, lo and behold, at the 200ish round count (no cleaning) the thing was producing 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups. Guess I'll suffer through a couple hundred rounds again...

Comment

• I think these barrels like to be ‘dirty’ or shall we say seasoned? As noted many places a couple hundred rounds seem to be ticket. My experiments have me at wiping the chamber regularly with slip 725 and leaving the bore alone. When the round count gets high I have knocked the gunk out of the bore with the 725 but no copper solvent. Hums right along.

Just for the record I have the regular and light 16” CL .308 barrels. 42 to 42.5 of IMR 4895 in WCC cases and CCI Std primers gives me 0.75 MOA when I am in practice. The Federal GMM 168 and American Eagle M1A 167s give similar results and similar zeros.

Surefire warcomp big thumbs up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• We have been pretty pleased with our LM8 MWS ( 13.5", 16" and 20" barrels )

Pretty solid MOA shooter and with the 20" barrel one of the best single 5 shot groups I have shot with a semi:

Suppressed at 100 meters, Lapua 167gr factory Scenar ammo:

Another suppressed group at 100 meters, same Lapua ammo, suppressor removed between every shot:

Comment

• Zeroing weapons a few weeks back for a range day with a customer group. Shot very well with the RUAG M80 ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuukka View Post
                                We have been pretty pleased with our LM8 MWS ( 13.5", 16" and 20" barrels )

Pretty solid MOA shooter and with the 20" barrel one of the best single 5 shot groups I have shot with a semi:

Suppressed at 100 meters, Lapua 167gr factory Scenar ammo:

Another suppressed group at 100 meters, same Lapua ammo, suppressor removed between every shot:

thats amazing. nice shooting

Comment

• Mine has never shot that well.

Wait let me rephrase that,

I have never shot mine that well.
                                  "...But they would never find anything to beat the old Springfield ...the long sleek streamline, very slim but with potent bulges, all in the just exactly right places to give it that pugnaciously forward-leaning, eager look that marked the Springfield. Beside it, the M1 looked like a fat old man puffing with a lack of training...the two most beautiful things made in America were the ax-handle and the clipper ship? ...they should have added one more thing: The Springfield '03 rifle..."

Comment

• Me neither just a couple of the best examples. But as mentioned it shoots reliably MOA and sub that usually also if I do my part.

Comment

Working...
                                    X