728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First round "flyer" on CZ 455 Tacticool

Okay, so noticing this issue with my CZ455. The first round fired always seems to be one furthest from the point of aim. Just shot 20 five round groups and in 18 of them, the first round is the furthest. Usually to the left, sometimes left and up.

For all the groups I adjusted the action screws. I found that the least amount of distance between the flyer round and the rest of the group when the screws were set to 24 lb/in. But still, with that setting, it was repeatable.

I did NOT see the same pattern with my AR.

I used some good .22 ammo (RWS R50 and Midas +), and I found it interesting that it was so consistently the first shot.

What can I do to fix this?

Your barrel suffers from cold bore fliers. This is mostly common in hammer forged barrels in my experience. Never had a match barrel suffer from this issue. You can try cleaning the snot out of the leade that some swear it works but in my experience it isn't worth the time or effort. If it bothers you I would just get a new barrel.

Comment

Is it only happening on a clean barrel? Even with my precision match gun, I needed a couple of fouling shots before it settled in.

Comment

Originally posted by chorizo View Post
        Is it only happening on a clean barrel? Even with my precision match gun, I needed a couple of fouling shots before it settled in.
        Define a dirty barrel.

I started today with a clean barrel. I would assume that after 50 or so shots, it's no longer "clean"

I was getting these flyers throughout my groups, up until the last one..

Comment

Originally posted by Slateman View Post

Define a dirty barrel.

I started today with a clean barrel. I would assume that after 50 or so shots, it's no longer "clean"

I was getting these flyers throughout my groups, up until the last one..
          Usually 3-4 rounds is enough to foul a clean barrel and settle it down. Doesn't seem to be the problem then.

Comment

If it were my CZ455 Tactical I would blame it on suppressor gassing because I never take it off.
            I don't know what Im talking about but, in this case, I will go ahead any way. Are you using the original 5-round mag?
            Try the same test but load four in the mag and the fifth round straight into the chamber. I'm thinking maybe the magazine pressure on the bolt could be the issue.
            I'm sure some expert will laugh this off but they really should explain why it couldn't happen.
            The wind is not your friend.....unless you just farted.

Comment

My 452 Varmint has always done this, high and left. I just picked up a cheap 455 Precision Trainer that has only had one range trip. I tried CCI SV and Automatch as a cheap ammo to burn through hoping that it would like one of those since they're cheap and I have quite a bit of each, but it didn't shoot them well at all. I moved over to Wolf as a next step up and it calmed right down. I didn't notice the 1st shot flyer once I found ammo it likes.
              Just another beautiful day in paradise!

Comment

I've fired at least 500 rounds through it. I've gotten some really tight groups with RWS R50., particlarly if I ignore my first flyer.

I'll try that magazine thing.

Comment

take a look at this

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=333628

Comment

Originally posted by EddieE View Post
                    Yea, I've seen that. Why a nylon brush? Why not a brass brush?

Comment

I had the same problem with my CZ 455 Varmint. I had the barrel lapped by a smith, which helped the problem a great deal. Using RWS Rifle Match I went from a 3/4 inch flier high and left on the cold bore (clean or dirty) shot to one that was between 1/3 inch and 1/4 inch high at 50 m, and repeatable. Then I got a Lilja barrel and the problem resolved itself.
                      When the greatness of the Tao is present, right action arises from one’s own heart.
                      When the greatness of the Tao is absent, action comes from the rules
                      of “kindness” and “justice”.
                      If you need rules to be kind and just,
                      this is a sure sign that virtue is absent.
                      When intellectualism arises, hypocrisy is close behind.
                      When there is strife in the family, people talk of “brotherly love”.
                      When the country falls into chaos,patriotism is born.

Comment

Working...
                      X