728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 2 PST vs Gen 1 Razor HD

Are there enough G2 PST's in the wild to make a fair and direct comparison between the two.

Looking at 20x and 25x models specificly for 6.5 cm use.

Price isnt a factor in this case.

Reticles, Tracking, Eybox, Knobs etc are what Im primarily looking for info on.

I could be wrong but I "thought" that the new G2 PST is using same glass as G1 Razor HD so probably no need to discuss that unless what I heard was wrong.

Thanks as always for sharing info.

A06

I know they are absolutely not using the same glass....

Comment

If you go with a Gen 1, I believe MHS has a deal for $1600 for a Gen 1 with a free Spuhr mount.

Comment

Ok so any thoughts which is better or worse?

Comment

I have a Gen I Razor

Pros: tons of elevation adjustment, tracking is excellent, good glass for the price (in my opinion)
          Cons: reticle too thick for small targets past 15x, eyebox gets a little tight past 15x

I know it's not a perfect comparison, but my old gen I PST had very little elevation and it was a pain

if you're gonna shoot small targets at relatively close distances (inside 800ish), go Pst gen ii. If you're gonna stretch it out on a bit larger targets, I'd go Razor Gen I

Comment

The reticle is the same thickness at 15x as it is at 20x as it's FFP. Doesn't cover anymore of what target.

The retixle on the Razor is thicker than the PST gen II however at .06 mils vs .034 mils. Something to consider.
            www.teamblaster.net

Comment

My apologies, I should have clarified I'm not a huge fan in terms of how thick the reticle is in the view of the scope, not how much of the target it covers (reticle thickness as a percentage of FOV is higher at higher mags). Kinda nitpicky for sure I'll admit it, but just my finding. I think the razor really excels in the mid powers, and I genuinely find the reticle to be useable down to 5x which is helpful for holdovers on coyotes (my scopes and rifles pull double/triple duty generally). Also in terms of durability, I can't speak to the gen II pst but my gen I pst reticle was canted and had to be sent back to vortex from driving 12 hours from Wisconsin to SD with some rough roads in there while my razor has been rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by celtics10 View Post
                My apologies, I should have clarified I'm not a huge fan in terms of how thick the reticle is in the view of the scope, not how much of the target it covers (reticle thickness as a percentage of FOV is higher at higher mags). Kinda nitpicky for sure I'll admit it, but just my finding. I think the razor really excels in the mid powers, and I genuinely find the reticle to be useable down to 5x which is helpful for holdovers on coyotes (my scopes and rifles pull double/triple duty generally).
                No need to apologize but that is my point in that the reticle is the same size in relation to the target on any power. It covers no more of the target or is any thinner at 5x than it is at 20x. Not FOV. The actual thickness of the reticle. FFP reticles stay the same in relation to the target. It appears to get smaller at lower power but so is the target.
                www.teamblaster.net

Comment

Man, I bought a G2, all excited about it for a lower cost but quality scope. I shot it 10 or 15 times and just couldn't do it anymore. The glass quality was appalling to my eye. I will admit I've been shooting Schmidts for a decade or more so I am a delicate snowflake when it comes to optics, but I just couldn't do it......

I get it, sometimes expensive optics aren't the answer for the guy shooting production class or trying to equip his 12th rifle. I am interested in a scope in the G2's class that is shootable. I'll keep looking...

Comment

Working...
                  X