728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's your zero?

out of curiousity....wondering what range guys zero their rifles at.

i zero for 300...i know that @ 100, i am .9 mils high, and at 200 i am .4 mils high. i use the reticle out to 300, and start twisting knobs from there out.

curious to what others do.

I personally zero for 100m to keep me from making a brainfart on where i am when the pressure is up (animal or competition stage etc)

Followup question on above: Do you guys zero for the Coldbore shot (CBS, CCBS etc) or the following shots that usually group together?
    My gun consistently shoots 0.1mrad low on cleancoldbore and the groups following shots, i zero for following shots today and reduce by 0.1 on the CBS.

Comment

It depends. On my Ftr rifle it is zeroed at 300 yards because that is the primary distance for local matches, and only a minor tweak is needed as conditions change. For "tactical" shooting involving a multitude of distances I use 100yds because a wide variation in ambient conditions and even velocity will have little to no impact on the zero at 100. On the other hand when zeroed at a longer distance conditions have a significant impact, and if you do not hit dead zero is it due to the conditions or should you make a scope adjustment because something really changed? Also it helps to communicate since nearly everyone uses 100yd zero. Years ago I zeroed at 200yd but changed when I understood these potential errors could bite you.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieNC View Post
        It depends. On my Ftr rifle it is zeroed at 300 yards because that is the primary distance for local matches, and only a minor tweak is needed as conditions change. For "tactical" shooting involving a multitude of distances I use 100yds because a wide variation in ambient conditions and even velocity will have little to no impact on the zero at 100. On the other hand when zeroed at a longer distance conditions have a significant impact, and if you do not hit dead zero is it due to the conditions or should you make a scope adjustment because something really changed? Also it helps to communicate since nearly everyone uses 100yd zero. Years ago I zeroed at 200yd but changed when I understood these potential errors could bite you.
        ^^This^^

If your cold bore shot is really different, then make that mental adjustment for the cold bore shot. Caveat: If you are only using the rifle for hunting, then every first shot at game is cold bore and you need to plan accordingly. However, as has been discussed before at length, the majority of cold bore variation is usually due to cold shooter and not cold bore, with some possible exceptions.

Comment

My rifle is a tactical/competition rifle. So I zero at 100 yards (not for the cold bore). I make a mental note of where my CB shot is and adjust for that when I need to.

Comment

Every rifle I have from target to hunting is zeroed at 100yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Accuracy International AT
            Stubby 308 or Tooley 24" .260
            SiCo Harvester or Area 419 Hellfire
            Vortex Gen II 4.5x27
            Spuhr 4006
            Atlas V8 with claw feet
            Tab Gear sling​​​

Comment

I zero at 100 yards as every range I need to go from there whether it be in to 10 yards or out to 1000 is dialing up. Makes it simple especially with a zero stop scope and for hold overs. I don;t have to worry about dialing down.
              www.teamblaster.net

Comment

100 yards for all the good reasons mentioned above. If your CBS is consistantly different from your zero, it's easy enough to adjust for.

Comment

I zero all my rifles at 100 yards. As said before, getting a "real zero" at longer distances is very unreliable due to many variables involved (bullet velocity, weather condition, shooter position etc) that increase exponentially with the distance,

Comment

100 yards, it's not 1978 anymore ...
                    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
                    Watch your words; they become actions.
                    Watch your actions; they become habits.
                    Watch your habits; they become character.
                    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
                    --Frank Outlaw

Comment

100 yards works for me.

Comment

100 yards on all rifles. For the things that matter, CBS shouldnt be that far off and is a kill shot. Dont even bother worrying about it so i can make sure i have plenty of beer for my hunt.
                        ***************************************************************

I wouldn't shit you. You are my favorite turd.

Comment

evidently.....i'm a weirdo......

Comment

Originally posted by Fursniper View Post
                            100 yards for all the good reasons mentioned above. If your CBS is consistantly different from your zero, it's easy enough to adjust for.
                            How far does your cold bore shot differ from subsequent shots?
                            How many rounds brings your barrel into "warm up" where shots group nice?

Comment

100 yds. is where all my .308 ,.223, 300AAC bolt guns are zeroed.

Comment

100 yards for scoped rifles, except for the DMR running a Razor Gen II 1-6x with JM BDC reticle which requires a 200 yard zero.
                                I have a few AR-15s with iron or 1x (RDS, reflex, etc) sights which I zero at 50 yards, which places the POI +/- 3" the POA out to 225 yards or so.
                                Joe

ex meus gelu mortuus manuum

Comment

100m zero for me and dial or hold elevation depending on circumstances.

Comment

I'm zeroed for 200yds with my CTR. My cold bore shot typically hits about .5 to .75 inch to the 1:00 at that range. At 100 I don't even think about it. Every other gun I own is zeroed for 100yds

Comment

100 yards

Comment

100 yards is the go to for all scoped rifles that are centerfire, why make things harder than they should be?

Comment

100yds

Comment

100 yards. Every centerfire rifle I own.
                                            Shoot tell your better than the gun, then try to make it better.

Comment

Same same. 100 yds for all centerfires. Tried using 300 on a couple of rifles and it just became more complicated in the long run.

Comment

As others have said 100 yards so that atmospheric conditions have less impact on zero. For ar/red dots 556 or 300blk at least, I go 50 but counting on those primarily within 300

Comment

Maybe for a hunting rifle with a scope that doesnt have adjustable target type turrets I would zero at 200, but for any scope with exposed target turrets 100yds makes sense and go up from there.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X