Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Thermal sight 2500 max budget recommendations.

Collapse

728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Thermal sight 2500 max budget recommendations.

I am looking to buy my first thermal and I am looking in the 2500 max range. I will be used for predator control on an ar15
    There is no such thing as luck, luck is when preperation meets opportunity... Knute Rockne

Born the same date as Ronald Regan great to be me.....

In that price range ... PULSAR is the answer

==
    The first hunting usable thermal in that price range is the Apex 38mm ... I have one and it is still a solid hunting thermal.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/pulsar-...ig-nv-scp.html

Not recommending getting it from OP, but they have a website with a price and some data. So you have something to look at.

==
    Is you can squeeze a little more $$ ... then next of the list is the Apex 50mm ... I've had 2 of those and they are probably the best of the Apex (there was also a 75mm).

https://www.opticsplanet.com/pulsar-...PEXTIS-PL76427

Now unless you can squeeze a little more you can't quite reach the newer trail models, but these Apex scopes get the job done.

==
    Both FLIR and PULSAR have 19mm models with fixed focus ... but both of those get fuzzy beyond 100yds ... and I would not recommend them for hunting. The Apex 38mm has a focus ring.

==

Comment

I will probably find a 50mm. Thanks for the advice so far. I was hoping to be able to see out to 400 and shoot out to 200. That was my goal.
      There is no such thing as luck, luck is when preperation meets opportunity... Knute Rockne

Born the same date as Ronald Regan great to be me.....

Comment

Shooting buddy with my apex 50mm (which he later bought) on 5.56(16) with his first yote ...

==
        You will be able to see much farther than 400yds, depending on conditions ... hecque, you will be able to see the moon at 239,000 miles !!!

On land, a large enough hot blob is visible a long way. But you will be able to ID yotes out to 400yds in most conditions.

There is a PicInPic feature you can activate with a button. That gives you 4x net magnification on the reticle and allows more precise finally aiming, so that should get you 300yd shots if you can find something to lean on (like a bale).
        Last edited by wigwamitus; 01-04-2018, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Iím back in the hunt for a dedicated Thermal scope myself now that Christmas is over! The kids have all of their toys and now itís time for me to get mine! Lol. Wigwam you were directing me towards the Pulsar as well a month or so ago. I have upped my budget to around $3Gs. As said earlier, Iím hunting some open prairie for Yotes and will go to a friends place to eradicate some hogs. Is the Pulsar 50 still my best bet for either my MK 12 SPR or 6.5 Creedmoor in a XLR Chassis with NV Clip on mount?

Comment

In the $3k department you could squeeze up to the trail 384s ... though the trail 640s are up in the $4k department. The Apex 50 is sub $3k.

The NV clipon would be irrelevant with a dedicated thermal scope.

If by "pulsar 50" you meant the 50mm clipon, then the nv mount is relevant. You can get up to around 5x magnification on the day scope with that thermal clipon.

Comment

I have a 38 apex, spend a couple hundred more and get the trail. It will come with the dvr and better non cr123 battery built in instead of having to sling it in a rifle pack like I am now. Definitely worth the 300 extra.
              http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/P...-p/pl76513.htm

Ive found that at night I only need to tell thereís something out there, you can get unreal close at night. Last weekend I had hogs walk up to 20 steps away from me.

https://instagram.com/p/BdbYNwZF9-2/

E146EBC8-ACC8-4C9F-9D4C-AF407F1EDEB6.jpeg
              Last edited by spife7980; 01-06-2018, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spife7980 View Post
                I have a 38 apex, spend a couple hundred more and get the trail. It will come with the dvr and better non cr123 battery built in instead of having to sling it in a rifle pack like I am now. Definitely worth the 300 extra.
                http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/P...-p/pl76513.htm

Ive found that at night I only need to tell thereís something out there, you can get unreal close at night. Last weekend I had hogs walk up to 20 steps away from me.

https://instagram.com/p/BdbYNwZF9-2/

E146EBC8-ACC8-4C9F-9D4C-AF407F1EDEB6.jpeg
                I agree with this message. We routinely get within 30 yards of stuff at night. I scored a xq38 trail for 2639 at optics planet

Comment

Originally posted by songdogslayer View Post

I agree with this message. We routinely get within 30 yards of stuff at night. I scored a xq38 trail for 2639 at optics planet
                  How did you snag a trail xq38 for $2639? Was it an unreal sale or something

Comment

Originally posted by tcamel4 View Post

How did you snag a trail xq38 for $2639? Was it an unreal sale or something
                    Optics planet,, just sighted it in today!

Comment

A trail xq38 or xq30? Optic planet shows it 3300 bucks.

Comment

xq38 was the special when they had the rebate plus 14% off. Had to wait a month to get it.
                        Untitled.jpg
                        Last edited by songdogslayer; 01-12-2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X