728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubb Adaptive Target Rifle

Anybody out there with actual hands on experience with Tubb's new rig? Extremely interested in this setup and any feedback.

Have a friend that has been playing with David's rifle over the years and really likes it. Once he gets his I will be looking forward to put rounds through it. The TUB 2000 was a nice rifle, this one seems much better. Best advice would be to call David and talk to him if he doesn't comment here.
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RecoilPhotographyOKC

Comment

Originally posted by JBM_DC View Post
      Have a friend that has been playing with David's rifle over the years and really likes it. Once he gets his I will be looking forward to put rounds through it. The TUB 2000 was a nice rifle, this one seems much better. Best advice would be to call David and talk to him if he doesn't comment here.
      Plan on doing so further. I did email him and got referred to his YouTube video. Still looking for more independent feedback from the marketplace if there is any yet, because I'm close to laying down some hard earned cash for what looks like an awesome rifle.

Comment

I am an admirer of all things Tubb. Like all his products, this one appears to address every design aspect; implementing deep and sober thought with no-holds-barred excellent solutions.

Yes, it's a lot of money, and regardless of its attributes, it's priced above my highest conceivable bar. But it's also a lot of rifle and I think it's a fair bargain for the limited market who can reasonably consider purchasing one.

Greg
        Good marksmanship is no accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Squibbler View Post

Plan on doing so further. I did email him and got referred to his YouTube video. Still looking for more independent feedback from the marketplace if there is any yet, because I'm close to laying down some hard earned cash for what looks like an awesome rifle.
          I am not sure if you can pre order one or not, and pretty sure they are not yet available. However, David would be the one to ask on that. I can get you in touch with my friend who knows quite a bit about the new rifle coming out. Though I can tell you he is very biased and about the same as talking to David. Once he receives his I will be able to determine weather or not I will pick one up for my dedicated PRS rifle.
          Last edited by JBM_DC; 09-12-2017, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Are his initials RP?
            On the day shift at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Comment

Hey, I've got one on order, but I don't think any have been released to the public yet. It was originally slated for 1st quarter release, and they have been bumping it back for various reasons. Last update I have is October delivery.

if you have a Facebook account find him there and you will find a bit more information and pics. He tends to announce new things on the Facebook page also.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Langelius * View Post
                Yes, it's a lot of money, and regardless of its attributes, it's priced above my highest conceivable bar. But it's also a lot of rifle and I think it's a fair bargain for the limited market who can reasonably consider purchasing one.

Greg
                How much is the rifle going to sell for? I looked through his releases and youtube videos and don't recall hearing or reading a price. More than likely I missed the msrp.

Comment

Seven thousand dollars for just a rifle, you've got to be joking. Looks like everything else I've ever seen from David Tubb, way overpriced!!! FWIW, everything I've ever purchased from DT has been a massive disappointment. I hear that name and walk in the opposite direction. YMMV

Comment

Wow, it sounds like you really have an axe to grind. What product did you purchase that made you feel this way?

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Marksman10x View Post
                      Seven thousand dollars for just a rifle, you've got to be joking. Looks like everything else I've ever seen from David Tubb, way overpriced!!! FWIW, everything I've ever purchased from DT has been a massive disappointment. I hear that name and walk in the opposite direction. YMMV
                      Guess you don't shoot AIs....
                      dallasrifle.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChadL View Post

How much is the rifle going to sell for? I looked through his releases and youtube videos and don't recall hearing or reading a price. More than likely I missed the msrp.
                        5800 for the rifle minus barrel, 6900 for rifle. David said the reason for the price was that it was expensive to make and it couldn't be mass produced with the amount of work that goes into each rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by snarkscarbine View Post

Guess you don't shoot AI's...
                          Nope, but I sure outshoot them

Edit: FWIW I just penciled out what it would cost to build the highest end rifle I could dream of using my gunsmith, who has also set a number of world records (BR), and it was still under $4000 with brake, rings, and an Atlas. I'm just not sure what the extra $3000 dollars would get me in Tubb's rifle. AI seem like nice rifles, they certainly have a great reputation, track record, and have proven themselves to the most knowledgeable and demanding critics in this industry.

I'm sureDT's rifle is going to be of the highest quality, but so are my rifles costing nearly half
                          Last edited by Marksman10x; 09-15-2017, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaycoux View Post

5800 for the rifle minus barrel, 6900 for rifle. David said the reason for the price was that it was expensive to make and it couldn't be mass produced with the amount of work that goes into each rifle.
                            When I first read about the rifle I had in my head it would probably be around $4,500 - $5,000 without barrel. I wasn't too far off. Cool rifle for sure. Hope he sells a lot of em.

Comment

Originally posted by jaycoux View Post
                              Wow, it sounds like you really have an axe to grind. What product did you purchase that made you feel this way?

​​​​
                              Maybe, not really sure, I'll let you decide. Here is what i know. I sent him more than $300 for new speedlock systems and what I got was nicely machined and of the highest quality, it just didn't work worth a damn, accuracy seriously suffered. I also know, from this website, that many others had the same experience, with no one really chiming in for DT's defense. This is a fool me once, not gonna let ya fool me twice type of situation. There's just too many other options...So like I said, I just figuratively walk in the other direction, perhaps it's my loss, oh well. Like I said YMMV, just giving my experiences
                              Last edited by Marksman10x; 09-14-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Maybe, not really sure, I'll let you decide. Here is what i know. I sent him more than $300 for new speedlock systems and what I got was nicely machined and of the highest quality, it just didn't work worth a damn, accuracy seriously suffered. I also know, from this website, that many others had the same experience, with no one really chiming in for DT's defense. This is a fool me once, not gonna let ya fool me twice type of situation. There's just too many other options...So like I said, I just figuratively walk in the other direction, perhaps it's my loss, oh well. Like I said YMMV, just giving my experiences
                                So, let me get this straight, everything you've ever purchased from DT was this one item. Is that correct or am I miss-reading somewhere?

My disclosure, I've not owned any DT products and am only an interested reader.

Comment

I purchased three items from him, but yes, one product line, two SA's and a LA. However, he individually sells the lightweight firing pin and high speed spring. They didn't work, everyone on this forum said they had the same experiences, he continues to sell them, so i said, "huh, $300 down the drain, geez that sucks, I don't think I will be risking anymore of my money with his products, seems like he is trying to sell me a solution to a problem I don't have".

That's it, and I could very well be wrong about all of this, I have no problem acknowledging that, this could very well be the greatest rifle ever produced, outperforming everything else, making seven thousand dollars a true bargain. But, that first experience left me with such a bad taste, I don't plan on revisiting.
                                  Last edited by Marksman10x; 09-15-2017, 02:38 AM.

Comment

I spend a fair amount of time last year visiting with DT at last years Berger SW Nationals going over his new rifle. He had it with him and took the time to go through all the details and had an opportunity to handle it. It is very well made and I was impressed. It is an improvement over the T2K which is quite a statement in itself. I have owned a T2K for several years and have barrels for it in several different calibers and they all shoot. Expensive yes.

IMG_20170212_093423387_HDR.jpg
                                    Attached Files
                                    "Emergencies have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded" - F.A. Hayek

Comment

Nope, but I sure outshoot them

Edit: FWIW I just penciled out what it would cost to build the highest end rifle I could dream of using my gunsmith, who has also set a number of world records (BR), and it was still under $4000 with brake, rings, and an Atlas. I'm just not sure what the extra $3000 dollars would get me in Tubb's rifle. AI seem like nice rifles, they certainly have a great reputation, track record, and have proven themselves to the most knowledgeable and demanding critics in this industry.

I'm sureDT's rifle is going to be of the highest quality, but so are my rifles costing nearly half

Have you actually seen the Tubb gun? Does your sub $4k gun do half the things that this gun does? How bout this, show your gunsmith the Tubb gun, and ask him to make you one. We'll all wait for you to post his price quote here. Do you actually expect a low volume specialty rifle with features like that to price out like a basic custom( the highest end rifle you could dream of apprently). Sorry, you just sound ridiculous.

I have no connection with Tubb, and dont plan on buying his rifle. I think it's pretty badass though. Cheaper than my AXMC was.

Comment

Originally posted by Supersubes View Post

Have you actually seen the Tubb gun? Does your sub $4k gun do half the things that this gun does? How bout this, show your gunsmith the Tubb gun, and ask him to make you one. We'll all wait for you to post his price quote here. Do you actually expect a low volume specialty rifle with features like that to price out like a basic custom( the highest end rifle you could dream of apprently). Sorry, you just sound ridiculous.

I have no connection with Tubb, and dont plan on buying his rifle. I think it's pretty badass though. Cheaper than my AXMC was.
                                        Seen the gun? Only pics on the internet
                                        Will the sub 4 grand rifle do half or more as the Tubb? Yes, pretty much everything, was an apples to apples comparison. And what you call specialty features, I call solutions to non-existent problems which require you to buy additional parts from DT with no aftermarket support.

Whether you want to admit it, a rifle is just a tool that has a specific job, it doesn't have to be absurdly expensive to do that job and do it well.

I once asked my GS why his prices were so low, he told me it was simple. He'd been doing it for 40 years, owned all his equipment, and had zero overhead. I'm not sure DT can make all those claims. Which doesn't necessarily detract from the quality of his rifle, but certainly helps in explaining his prices as well as many other's in the industry.

And like I said above, I'm sure his rifle will be of the highest quality. Please reread this line.

So I may sound ridiculous, but I'm not a fool

and here is a summary of costs;

TL3, Defiance Deviant, or most any custom action $1300, Mausingfield $1600
                                        Bartlein barrel shipped to my door with tax $400 (I know this charge well)
                                        Manners T series with all the options $1300, McMillan, Cadex comp ($1850)
                                        Brake $75
                                        Chambering $150
                                        Muzzle brake install $50
                                        Timney Trigger $200
                                        Scope Rings $200

which is basically what my target rifles look like, a mix of Manners, McMillan, a laminated target stock thrown in, a couple jewel triggers, just plain Jane 700's though.

Total $3675, call it an even 4 grand for the Mausingfield, with an avg wait time of less than a week, ridiculous? So what will DT's rifle do the above won't?

An extra three grand and barrels that are twice the price with how long a wait-time? Just not for me. But this obviously means he didn't design it for me. No one is right or wrong here, it's just perspective and priorities.

I think I've made my point painfully clear, I've certainly written way more than I wanted and derailed the thread long enough, anyone with hands on experience wanna chime in? Even I can handle only so much theoretical debate.
                                        Last edited by Marksman10x; 09-15-2017, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Will the sub 4 grand rifle do half or more as the Tubb? Yes, pretty much everything, was an apples to apples comparison. And what you call specialty features, I call solutions to non-existent problems which require you to buy additional parts from DT with no aftermarket support.

Whether you want to admit it, a rifle is just a tool that has a specific job, it doesn't have to be absurdly expensive to do that job and do it well.

I once asked my GS why his prices were so low, he told me it was simple. He'd been doing it for 40 years, owned all his equipment, and had zero overhead. I'm not sure DT can make all those claims. Which doesn't necessarily detract from the quality of his rifle, but certainly helps in explaining his prices as well as many other's in the industry.

And like I said above, I'm sure his rifle will be of the highest quality. Please reread this line.

Brake $75
                                          Chambering $150
                                          Muzzle brake install $50
                                          Timney Trigger $200
                                          Scope Rings $200

which is basically what my target rifles look like, a mix of Manners, McMillan, a laminated target stock thrown in, a couple jewel triggers, just plain Jane 700's though.

Total $3675, call it an even 4 grand for the Mausingfield, with an avg wait time of less than a week, ridiculous? So what will DT's rifle do the above won't?

An extra three grand and barrels that are twice the price with how long a wait-time? Just not for me. But this obviously means he didn't design it for me. No one is right or wrong here, it's just perspective and priorities.

I think I've made my point painfully clear, I've certainly written way more than I wanted and derailed the thread long enough, anyone with hands on experience wanna chime in? Even I can handle only so much theoretical debate.
                                          You never listed anything in your post that indicates your rifle can do everything the new DT rifle can. As you said, "Apples to Apples"

Anyone can throw a list of components together with some ballpark prices next to it. However, that is not what David did with this rifle and it seems you have not even taken the time to find out what his rifle is capable of before your constant bitching because something costs more than you are willing to spend.

We get it, the rifle is above your price range.

Comment

Not comparing apples to apples. DT's rifle is a platform which can be configured for different types of competition; High Power, FTR, PRS to name a few. Change out barrels which is a snap and you are good to go. Try that with a a conventional 700 build described above. The rifle is not for everybody but for a certain class of competitive shooters.
                                            "Emergencies have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded" - F.A. Hayek

Comment

Brake $75
                                              Chambering $150
                                              Muzzle brake install $50
                                              Timney Trigger $200
                                              Scope Rings $200

What you made painfully clear is that you understand nothing about the Tubb gun.

Comment

David's rifle is multi caliber, he can shoot an NRA Match one weekend, an ELR Match the next weekend and a PRS Match the follow weekend with a variety of cartridges a normal short action cannot do.

This rifle is closer to an AXMC than an AX308... that is the mistake of the comparison to a custom rifle that uses a Bighorn or Mausingfield

This is all I have in front of me
                                                Watch your thoughts; they become words.
                                                Watch your words; they become actions.
                                                Watch your actions; they become habits.
                                                Watch your habits; they become character.
                                                Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
                                                --Frank Outlaw

Comment

Originally posted by Supersubes View Post

What you made painfully clear is that you understand nothing about the Tubb gun.
                                                  So, what will the Tubb gun do the gun above won't? It's a simple question that you've refused to answer, nor did you address any other points I made. You just call names and make stupid comments.

In my opinion, it's a way overpriced tifle from a man who has sold me products in the past that did not live up to his claims and rendered one rifle completely useless, failing to fire more than half the time. I don't trust him, so I wouldn't buy one of his rifles. Period.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X