728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt Action Rifle, Where to Begin?

After a failed attempt to get into long range with a semi-auto platform, I am realizing that a bolt gun was definitely what I was looking for. I fear bought the semi, and tried to make it work, but it is currently in the process of being sold. Fine gun, just should have done more research when buying my first precision rifle. So this is where it leaves me. I am looking to begin the journey all over with a bolt gun. And before everyone pipes up, I am not wanting an RPR. Great gun, have shot one in both .308 and 6.5CM, but for some reason I just find myself drawn to a more traditional bolt gun. So my question is where do I begin? I am used to AR's where I can piece together what I want in my shop, but bolt guns aren't so easy. I know a Remington 700 is standard, but which one should I get to begin with? What about a tikka? Never been around one, but people on here seem to like them. I have a Vortex PST6-24 FFP that will go on top, so I am looking solely at the gun right now. Just really need to know my options, and am looking for a little guidance. Thanks!

Old reliable, you've already irritated me to the point of nearly leaving another forum for good. I really hate to see you popping up here on the hide intent on souring any enjoyable conversation with your overbearing drivel... I hope you can find the maturity to keep your mouth shut a little more often here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Your facts did not in the least bit go over my head, I believe that if I wished you could have me a custom built rifle to my specs in 7-10 days. I never once doubted that fact. What I said was that I will not do business with you because of the way you have and continue to present yourself in such a public venue. Also, I have contacted a local shop here in southern Indiana that is in no way a big time builder, at least to my knowledge. I have never seen Southern Indiana Precision mentioned on this site before. Even they have a 3 month lead time. So I have to wonder why if your rifles are so awesome and just dominating the market, why do you have so much free time that you would be able to assemble me a rifle in a matter of days? Shouldn't you be just as booked as every other custom shop in this country? On top of that, I question your skills in being able to build a quality rifle after seeing that you can't even assemble a simple paragraph with somewhat correct punctuation.

Honey,

You are in way over your head. Someone who "knows" and "does" as much "quality" work as you should have more important things to do than troll the Internet forums, trying to scam rookies asking for simple advice.
      Hint.

If you are so into airsoft then why don't you just stick to that instead of looking like a prick on the internet.
      Hint.

Laughing! Lol go piss off Buttercup

Comment

Save a few shekels and buy an AIAT and be done with it. You will spend less in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reliable
          I'll paint her another picture.

It'll sail over heads too.(grin)
          Do you have an acquired brain injury? Or have your handicaps been with you since birth? Hint. Hint. Hint.
          AKA "Sidelight" on Scout.com

Comment

It's Northland Shooters Supply his business or his parts source?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

So this asshat Ol Dip$hit is on the hide since the 13th has 161 posts and craps on damn near every thread. I'm guessing their will be a pile of shitty spray painted rifles in the px this weekend.

Op listen to folks like bogey and greg who actually take the time to help you out. Most of us here and that have been here for years help each other out with the best advice we can muster through our years of experience. Then you get the assholes who just want pretend they know it all and are sooooo smart they like to answer in an arrogant and obtuse manner. Hint

go grab a tikka, rpr, or savage Lrp or ba and go shoot. Discover for yourself what you do and don't like in a rifle because if you get the bug it won't be your only rifle

Comment

Don't feed the trolls.. unfortunately the ignore list feature doesn't seem to be working at the momen, so I have to continue to read his drivel. I don't see him lasting long - he's making it smell like BarfCom here.

Hint

Comment

To use ignore click on your userid at the top tight, select settings, account, and go down to the bottom to enter the to-be-ignored username. After typing the username hit 'enter' (important). Save, and exit.

Doneski, and another troll get time warped into oblivion

PSA by Greg

I've been on this site since it started, and have been a troll myself. Note to self: trolling does not work.

Early on, I took a turn toward answering the same beginners' questions others tired of responding to. Found out I didn't tire of them. I then decided they could use a bit more than a one sentence attaboy and a two sentence curt answer.

In this quest, I tried to find accuracy in the factory rifle, and took some time to buck the 'throw money' approach to accuracy. Several false starts but no quitting later, results began to come, and come, and even more came. Turns out to have been the best fun bang for buck I could have found at The 'Hide.

Also tums out there are still a few ways to 'build' an accurate rifle that do not require months of patience while the next guy's rifle in the queue (but not yours) gets updated, or by listening to the admittedly sage experts about only buying the finest optics, actions, etc.

They are right, money DOES work. But other things do, too. But also, nothing works without the commitment to learn how to be a passable marksman

Home bedding, load development, 'wasting' some money on inferior products, but also finding some moderately priced stuff that can bring you a pleasant surprise on a fairly consistent basis. Like a Savage rifle. Like a Mueller Scope, and some Bushnells, too. (Note to self: the coin has two sides. One says you're wasting money on cheap crap, the other says you're investing money on a longshot, and the payoff is a decent savings down the road for a lot of folks who bother to ask. So ask!

...And for Good Lord's sake, get started on handloading ASAP. Load development is THE MOST EFFECTIVE way to improve the accuracy of any rifle, except maybe those that are already at their accuracy peak, or those that have a basic construction flaw.

Oh, and there's tons of things to insert at this point, but that's what the Hide is supposed to be all about. Ask, and ye shall receive; at last as long as I can do something about it. Others will do the same; it's The Hide, isn't it?

As for the trolls, that's why there's an ignore, too.

Greg

PS ...And if you really want to try out the most challenging accurizing adventure one could possibly choose, buy a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. Ask me how I know....
                  Last edited by Greg Langelius *; 03-18-2017, 01:28 PM.
                  Good marksmanship is no accident.

Comment

Ahart,

OR is pointing out like I attempted to do in my post, that you could pick up a 700 action, a barrel, barrel nut, nut wrench, recoil lug, and headspace gages from Jim at Northland Shooters Supply, a chassis from Xtreme Harcore Gear, a butt stock from the vender of your choice, a trigger, bases, rings and in about an hour assemble said parts in your garage and have a rifle that will shoot beyond your wildest expectations. It really IS that easy. You could possibly have said parts in two weeks or less and derive a bunch of satisfaction not only from the rifle, but the DIY aspect too.

Give it a try. I would be happy to help you with any questions you might have.

John

Comment

Old Reliable can have a good point and still be an asshole. Since I'm positive he's not the only guy around here with a good point, and he's definitely the smelliest of assholes - I'll be thanking Greg for helping me out with the ignore feature.

Comment

Ignore the troll. He's been around other forums for years and it's pretty clear he must have a pretty pathetic life to find this the best use of his time.

OP, in your shoes, I'd look at the Savage, Tikka, and Remington catalogs and pick whatever you think is closest to what you want to shoot. Shoot the snot out of it and you will start to figure what you like and you don't. As has already been pointed out, both the Savage and Remington (with a bit more work) can be re-barreled at home with a nut system. I've built both, they shoot as accurately was the preson behind them, 1/3MOA or better, with handloads. Depending how pricey the stock and components you choose, you can have a very nicely shooting rifle for not a ton of cash.

Comment

Hondo64d is on the money.
                          Good marksmanship is no accident.

Comment

I thought this was a place where we could share ideas and opinions as well as ask questions (although sometimes seeming stupid) without getting kicked in the nuts. I get the feeling that if you were all in the same room the tone would be a bit more respectful instead of this FU...no FU hiding behind a damn keyboard. It is threads like this that make me shy away from this forum!

Comment

This is.. and should continue to be the place you describe. Make sure to follow Greg's instructions on adding the troll to your ignore list, if you aren't sure how already, and it makes this thread look a lot more like what you describe. Once you do that - there's some good advice to be found in this thread. Cheers.

Comment

Shades of Nobody!!! I'm stickin' my neck out here but...it's you. Welcome back to stir the pot. A lot of us missed you.
                                You say "No Justice, No Peace"? Well, I say "No Peace, No Quarter!!".

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reliable

I speak matter of factly,because facts fucking matter.

Hint.
                                  My only reply is that most of your posts in this thread were NOT factual just you trying to piss on others and their opinions....that is a matter of fact!

Comment

Whose blue smurf slayer gun was that?
                                    10. Panzerdivision - 23. Gebirgsjšger 'Bayern'
                                    Hammelburg 1999
                                    {KFOR} Veteran 1999 - 2001
                                    TF 51/236 Afghanistan

MRAD Masterrace
                                    Chairman, 'Go Be Poor Somewhere Else' Society

Comment

Originally posted by Hondo64d View Post
                                      Ahart,

OR is pointing out like I attempted to do in my post, that you could pick up a 700 action, a barrel, barrel nut, nut wrench, recoil lug, and headspace gages from Jim at Northland Shooters Supply, a chassis from Xtreme Harcore Gear, a butt stock from the vender of your choice, a trigger, bases, rings and in about an hour assemble said parts in your garage and have a rifle that will shoot beyond your wildest expectations. It really IS that easy. You could possibly have said parts in two weeks or less and derive a bunch of satisfaction not only from the rifle, but the DIY aspect too.

Give it a try. I would be happy to help you with any questions you might have.

John
                                      Thanks Hondo, I certainly see the appeal in that option. For the OP's benefit I went to NSS and followed your advice.

Please check my numbers, as I could've screwed something up:

Rem action: $420-450 depending on finish
                                      Barrel: $300
                                      Nut: $28 with purchase of barrel
                                      Lug: $27
                                      wrench: $28-60 depending on which selected
                                      Rifle Basix trigger: $135 for 1.5-4#
                                      Gauges: $70 (price not shown on the site, but I think that's a fair number?)

At the low end that's $1008 and at the upper end it's $1070

Add optional barrel threading ($75) and he's at $1083 - $1145
                                      if he needs their "Taper Loc" tool for lug installation add another $28

So depending on choices let's call it $1100 or so for the core elements?
                                      Chassis depending on choice I think we can call $500-1000

Now I certainly understand that once you're "set up" in this process, your continuing costs are pretty great with the option of spinning on new barrels with relatively low cost and no need for smiths other than to supply the barrel

However, based on what he's said from the beginning, it didn't seem like he was inclined to DIY a rifle. Also, when you look at the price of a complete Tikka, it's still less expensive than assembling his own Remington based rifle.

Now I may personally take this approach in the future, because I already have most of the more expensive items laying around, and I thank you sincerely for the suggestion.

OP, if you're in any way inclined to go "custom build" route and are hampered solely by lead times, I would recommend calling or messaging Chad Dixon at LRI. Depending on budget and what you want, he can typically have you a complete rifle built in a couple of weeks vs months or years.

I am The German's spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by bogeybrown View Post

Thanks Hondo, I certainly see the appeal in that option. For the OP's benefit I went to NSS and followed your advice.

Please check my numbers, as I could've screwed something up:

Rem action: $420-450 depending on finish
                                        Barrel: $300
                                        Nut: $28 with purchase of barrel
                                        Lug: $27
                                        wrench: $28-60 depending on which selected
                                        Rifle Basix trigger: $135 for 1.5-4#
                                        Gauges: $70 (price not shown on the site, but I think that's a fair number?)

At the low end that's $1008 and at the upper end it's $1070

Add optional barrel threading ($75) and he's at $1083 - $1145
                                        if he needs their "Taper Loc" tool for lug installation add another $28

So depending on choices let's call it $1100 or so for the core elements?
                                        Chassis depending on choice I think we can call $500-1000

Now I certainly understand that once you're "set up" in this process, your continuing costs are pretty great with the option of spinning on new barrels with relatively low cost and no need for smiths other than to supply the barrel

However, based on what he's said from the beginning, it didn't seem like he was inclined to DIY a rifle. Also, when you look at the price of a complete Tikka, it's still less expensive than assembling his own Remington based rifle.

Now I may personally take this approach in the future, because I already have most of the more expensive items laying around, and I thank you sincerely for the suggestion.

OP, if you're in any way inclined to go "custom build" route and are hampered solely by lead times, I would recommend calling or messaging Chad Dixon at LRI. Depending on budget and what you want, he can typically have you a complete rifle built in a couple of weeks vs months or years.

Hence my suggestion to get a factory rifle and shoot it until he knows what he wants...then build it himself instead of paying a smith to build it for nearly 2X the cost for likely similar accuracy potential in most guy's hands.

My 243AI built on a Savage with a Shilen barrel held the same vertical variability at 600 yds as the dedicated custom F-class guns around me. My wind reading skills my first time out were no match for thos guys so it spread left to right, but for a factory hunting rifle on the competition line it drew some respect. $1300 or so without the scope.

You have to look at more than the cost. I've yet to see a factory Remington or Savage barrel that has the accuracy potential of an aftermarket barrel. I've still got a few guns with factory barrels and am constantly cleaning copper out of them. Cleaning my Shilens, McGowans, and Kriegers, I get carbon but no copper. Yes, more expensive, but not near custom cost and you get most of the benefits...if you are competent enough to bed a stock.

Comment

I love a DIY. As I said before, I started out on AR's, tinkering with the few I have like legos. I love the satisfaction of saying "I did this by myself." However, I did not realize that it could be so easily done on a bolt gun. I am still wondering if the added benefit going that route over just buying the tikka would be worth the cost tho. Unfortunately, worth is a individualized thing, that I really have to decide for myself. I will look into Northland Shooters Supply, tho, and see if I can piece together what I want out of parts they have available.

Comment

Originally posted by AHart76 View Post
                                            I love a DIY. As I said before, I started out on AR's, tinkering with the few I have like legos. I love the satisfaction of saying "I did this by myself." However, I did not realize that it could be so easily done on a bolt gun. I am still wondering if the added benefit going that route over just buying the tikka would be worth the cost tho. Unfortunately, worth is a individualized thing, that I really have to decide for myself. I will look into Northland Shooters Supply, tho, and see if I can piece together what I want out of parts they have available.
                                            A DIY bolt gun is far easier than an AR. I like the DIY route because it offers so many options for the future. Wanna try the latest and greatest new cartridge? No problem just get on the phone with Jim or a host of other providers and have them put a barrel on the truck. You can literally change it out in 15 minutes. There is some initial cost for tooling outlined above, but those items are a one time purchase. That takes a little of the sting out of it. I have had several full blown customs put together by some of the best names in the business. They were absolute art in their attention to detail and most shot well, some very well... But NONE of them has been easier to get to shoot well than the one I screwed together in my garage.

If the idea still intimidates you though, get the Tikka. I've never used one, but the reviews are generally good enough on the CTRs that if that were where my interest lay, I wouldn't be afraid to try one. There are now prefit barrels available for Tikkas too. If a CTR doesn't tickle your fancy, it is likely you could flip it for not too much loss. The important thing is to shoot.

If on a shoe string budget, there are some things I can recommend that function far above their pay grade: Criterion barrels, SWFA SS scopes, SWFA rings, Burris XTB bases, Timney 510 triggers. PT&G Stealth bottom metal. Forster dies. Haven't tried a grayboe stock yet but wouldn't be afraid to.

Some items I've used aren't cheap, but are superb in their function. MPA chassis, Manners stocks, both with and without with Mini chassis, McMillan stocks, and the Bushnell LRHS scopes come to mind here.

Lots of ways to skin this cat. Just jump in with both feet.

John

Comment

Is there anything special about the NSS actions? Are they trued or anything, or just factory Remington actions. If they are factory, I could get one cheaper from my gun shop pretty quick if I would happen to go that way.

Comment

I would check into McRee's Precision barrel kit. Will fit into any action that has standard threads, converts it to savage style which you would do at home with a little research. Criterion barrel with McRee's chamber specs, threaded muzzle, comes with everything you need, even the tools. A little less than $400 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by AHart76 View Post
                                                  Is there anything special about the NSS actions? Are they trued or anything, or just factory Remington actions. If they are factory, I could get one cheaper from my gun shop pretty quick if I would happen to go that way.
                                                  You would have to ask Jim to be sure, but not that I'm aware of. I would source the action from wherever I could find it cheapest.

No bolt with these, but a PT&G bolt would not be a bad thing.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...c#Post11896198

John

Comment

I'm gonna try and get to my gun store tonight. Talk to him about action prices, I know midway has em bolt and all. Also gonna see if he can get a tikka. Looking to have something ordered hopefully by the end of this week. I know there is a such thing as a tikkage, but they do not seem to be very popular.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X