X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Hey guys-

I am soon going to be a DTA SRS owner and know that there is a ton of information about this rifle on the hide. As you all know, once you begin the process of researching something like buying a new high end rifle you suddenly become a minor expert on the issue after all your research is done. I have done the same things on vehicles, homes, etc.

I would like to see if you guys would be interested in starting a DTA only thread where possible buyers and current owners can find information and post thing like:

Load Data
    Reviews
    Pictures
    Ask questions
    Links to other hide threads on previous DTA subjects

This would be like the McMillan A5 picture thread, except everything DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, and Hunter related.

I know that there are a couple guys here that have some great load info and others that have built some SRS' in unique calibers. Others have done some really creative modifications and additions to these rifles. I think it would be nice to find this wealth of information all in one place instead of a bunch of random threads using the search tool.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea, if so lets get it started!

If you think it sucks you can let me know how horrible of a person I am as well.....

If it works, I will change the thread title to read "Official DTA SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread." Maybe if it becomes big enough it can get broken down into different threads for each rifle. Maybe one day it may even become a sticky thread, God willing and the creek don't rise. Just a thought.

Thanks

Ryan
    Last edited by padom; 02-03-2017, 03:38 PM.
    Snipers Hide Search Engine Link Powered by Google
    http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=01...x5qqy10o&hl=en

"I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger." - Cal Naughton, Jr.

New and Used CNC Machinery from SMT Co
    http://www.smtco.biz

• Originally posted by black500 View Post

Appreciate the info. Iíve already decided a while back my first custom DT barrel will be a 300 Norma but sometimes you just want something ridiculous.
    If you want ridiculous you can go for the 26 or 28 nosler or one of the other super "mini"-mags too. I've done a couple of the 26 noslers for customers and they're actually not too bad.

Frank
    Just remember,
    When seconds count......help is only minutes (or hours) away. Be responsible for your own safety, be armed, be safe.

Comment

• And if you want really ridiculous, you can go with a 41" 50 BMG barrel in an HTI

My Avatar Pic is a 4 shot group with that rifle @100 yards

https://youtu.be/C8EUChWNM-k
      Last edited by secondofangle2; 11-13-2017, 01:42 PM.
      secondofangle2, the *third* incarnation of secondofangle

Comment

• Bet that is nice and portable or is it permanently mounted in the bed of the truck.

Comment

• Better check your tail lights to be sure they still work!

Comment

• Originally posted by sixstrings101 View Post
            Bet that is nice and portable or is it permanently mounted in the bed of the truck.
            Just shooting out of the bed of the '04 Dakota from a bipod lying on a cheapie Midway USA shooting mat. That's the beauty of having a trusty old truck that you can beat and not worry about it.

I have taken to shooting out of the bed, because the dust cloud that the 50 kicks up when firing prone from the ground is horrendous and gets sand/dirt/dust all over ALL the equipment - nylon shooting bags saturated, pricey optics covered - everything is a mess. It can take hours to clean all that stuff. Shooting from the bed drastically minimizes the signature and resulting mess. And once we started doing it with the 50, we learned it's a convenient shooting position for most/all bipod shooting.

Comment

• Originally posted by secondofangle2 View Post

Just shooting out of the bed of the '04 Dakota from a bipod lying on a cheapie Midway USA shooting mat. That's the beauty of having a trusty old truck that you can beat and not worry about it.

I have taken to shooting out of the bed, because the dust cloud that the 50 kicks up when firing prone from the ground is horrendous and gets sand/dirt/dust all over ALL the equipment - nylon shooting bags saturated, pricey optics covered - everything is a mess. It can take hours to clean all that stuff. Shooting from the bed drastically minimizes the signature and resulting mess. And once we started doing it with the 50, we learned it's a convenient shooting position for most/all bipod shooting.
              Wind must not ever blow where you shoot.

Comment

• I too shoot from the bed of my truck when PDog hunting. On occasion on a calm day do the same from the bed of the truck but not in a windy day for groups or load development. BTW itís not legal to hunt from the back of a truck in Colorado.

Comment

• I don't know if this is covered elsewhere in the 336 pages of this thread, but I recently "discovered" another nice feature of the SRS... long magazines are friggin' LONG. Like, I'm pretty sure that if someone wanted to, he could get away with a nearly 4" OAL in the long action mags. I was playing with a 338 LM Hornady OAL setup last night, and with the projectile I was using (Berger 250 Elite Hunter), my OAL (in an aftermarket barrel setup for 300 gr Bergers) was 3.907 (better than .200" over SAAMI)... imagine my surprise when I grabbed a mag and found out that it'll fit!

Good stuff, there.
                  ...I cut it twice and it was still too short...

The user known as L98S10 on the old new Sniper's Hide

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - A Tocqueville

Comment

• Hey everyone, I was posting on occasion when this was on Scout and now I'm back here and plan to be more active. I've been shooting my SRS a lot more these last several months and I'm ready for a caliber conversion setup. I currently have 6.5 creedmor and am looking to stretch out to 300WM or 338 Lapua. My main interest is long distance target shooting but also intend to hunt with the new caliber too. I know good ammo for 338 Lapua is an expensive proposition but I am prepared for it if needed From an optics standpoint I have an ATACR 5-25 F1.

I am just curious on how people deal with their scopes and zeroes when swapping calibers. I know 6.5/300WM depending on rounds share some ballistic similarities but what about swapping to 338 Lapua? Do you just start from zero each time you swap calibers and re-zero or ? My other question is - should I go with a conversion kit from DT or look at a custom barrel in either caliber?

Thanks for your time!

Comment

• I zero on cheap caliber (308) and mark offsets for others in stock and in TRASOL

IM trusting all my conversions to Eric Smith of ES Tactical in West haven Utah these days. Heís having a sale right now $874 for barrel/extension. Hard to beat that
                      Last edited by secondofangle2; 11-16-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• There are honestly no flies on the 300 WM and the components are easy to get. New bullets and powders take it up a notch. 338 Lapua has some amazing energy but felt recoil is a lot more than the WM. You could split the difference and get a 300 Norma Mag. If you go read Jeff Brozovichís experience with the 215 and 230 Bergers on elk (long range hunting.com and longrangeonly.com, he post under Broz) youíll be convinced that is all you need. Hundreds of dead elk witnessed by him with these bullets. I shot mine with a 215 hybrid and 300 WM.

Youll need to to decide if you want to run a cartridge off the magnum bolt face or lapua bolt face. You can buy a bolt separately from DT and get an amazing barrel from any number of Smiths that post here. FireguyTy is fast and offers good prices and good work.

Regarding scope zeros, some people use the zero offset feature in their app. I just record offsets and then rezero. The LTech turret on vortex scopes makes this pretty easy because you just spin the dial under the cap and donít have to reset the 0. Some of the scopes that have easy zero stop resets are also very user friendly, Tangent theta, premier, March?
                        Last edited by Conrad; 11-16-2017, 02:04 PM.
                        Formerly CLPLR on Scout, good to be back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conrad View Post
                          If you go read (long range hunting.com and longrangeonly.com, he post under Broz)
                          You spelled www.jeffbrozovich.com wrong.

"The first shot, is worth all the rest " My Dad.
                          Major League Chucker's 1,2 & 3
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0SVo7PDuE
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbnnjvIJ8o
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPvbN0MT924
                          Like DTA? Watch This:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EMHsIJLk3c

Comment

• Originally posted by coldboremiracle View Post
                            You spelled www.jeffbrozovich.com wrong.
                            Sorry, I donít follow. I spelt his name correct and his user name is Broz on the websites I listed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Conrad View Post

Sorry, I donít follow. I spelt his name correct and his user name is Broz on the websites I listed.
                              Twas in jest sir.
                              "The first shot, is worth all the rest " My Dad.
                              Major League Chucker's 1,2 & 3
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0SVo7PDuE
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbnnjvIJ8o
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPvbN0MT924
                              Like DTA? Watch This:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EMHsIJLk3c

Comment

• I zero for the caliber I shoot the most (6.5CM) and I know that my .300WM zero is .2 mils left and 0 for elevation. From there, it is just a mental offset. Ballistic calculators can generally account for it for you which reduces the chance of error (forgetting).

Comment

• Originally posted by coldboremiracle View Post

Twas in jest sir.
                                  LOL. I follow now.

Comment

Working...
                                  X