Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting an 11 degree target crown?

Hello,

I have a factory Remington barrel in a varmint contour that I would like to cut the muzzle to a 11 degree target crown. Presently it has a flat crown.

If I have the skill set, is the tool that Brownell's sells worth it for this project? They sell the cutter, handle, and pilots. The pilots come in brass or steel.

Plus cutting oil I am assuming. The other alternative is to find a local smith or send it off. Since it is a factory tube, I'd like to keep cost low.

Is this kind of project something you all put into a lathe? Or you do it by hand?

Thanks.

Originally posted by rookie7 View Post
    Hello,

I have a factory Remington barrel in a varmint contour that I would like to cut the muzzle to a 11 degree target crown. Presently it has a flat crown.

If I have the skill set, is the tool that Brownell's sells worth it for this project? They sell the cutter, handle, and pilots. The pilots come in brass or steel.

Plus cutting oil I am assuming. The other alternative is to find a local smith or send it off. Since it is a factory tube, I'd like to keep cost low.

Is this kind of project something you all put into a lathe? Or you do it by hand?

Thanks.
    Call Dave Manson Precision Reamers, 810-953-0732

Last edited by kortik; 09-12-2017, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Just recently had my barrel crowned by a friend using the Manson tool. Did a beautiful job. The beauty of this tool is that the pilot does not rotate inside the barrel.
      The pilot ( or arbor) is inserted into the barrel and then expanded. Nothing moving or rotating inside the barrel. The 3 cutters are carbide and cut a very smooth surface. You can use it by hand or power tool. It is a excellent tool.
      Last edited by Walt K; 09-12-2017, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Thank you. I will give that a look.

Comment

You would be better off and spend less by sending it to a reliable smith. If the rifle shoots now I wouldn't do anything to it. You will NEVER see any difference between a flat and 11 degree crown if they were both done properly in a lathe.

Comment

While I agree with your statement that he wont see any difference accuracy wise, provided the flat crown is undamaged, the cost issue is another story.
            The cut and crown would likely only cost 50-75 dollars.
            However, there is the time spent at the shop, does he have to ship it, or does he have someone local?
            Maybe, he wants to do it himself.
            The tool is 90 bucks.
            Don't know, but your points are absolutely valid.
            Friend...
            Even if you will make mischief itself in trousers - it not interestingly me...

Comment

In agreement with the above, with a couple of caveats...
              DM's crowning system is more than just the cutter, its the driver as well. The Military System would work ($135) with the correct pilot, but I'd recommend not just chucking up an 11 degree cutter in a cordless drill and going at it. Then, there's the issue of the correct pilot, a smith will have the correct one to a tenth- the OP will need to go with the "standard" bore pilot.

Does need to be mentioned that the recessed (11 degree) crown has the advantage of protection over the flat crown, which I believe is why it was first developed and its main "raison d'etre".
              Big Gorilla Gunworks
              (727) 233-2258
              Custom Bolt Actions/ Mauser/Mosin-Nagant
              Professional Cerakote Application

Comment

Originally posted by Wannashootit View Post
                In agreement with the above, with a couple of caveats...
                DM's crowning system is more than just the cutter, its the driver as well. The Military System would work ($135) with the correct pilot, but I'd recommend not just chucking up an 11 degree cutter in a cordless drill and going at it. Then, there's the issue of the correct pilot, a smith will have the correct one to a tenth- the OP will need to go with the "standard" bore pilot.
                You are obviously not familiar with DM crowning tool.

1. Cutter is NOT chucked into the cordless drill. Cutter is mounted onto the pilot and is driven by ball-end hex bit, mounted into the power driver, be it cordless electric screwdriver, electric drill or whatever else can rotate something at recommended RPM.

2. Pilot is EXPANDABLE, it is LOCKED inside the bore, and for this simple reason, it will always be "correct", with no gap of even 0.000000000000000001" between the pilot and the bore, within certain range of bore diameters in was designed to work with. Pilot is also not rotating inside the bore, which is a big deal.

Watching the video may be helpful to understand how this tool works before posting about it...
                Last edited by kortik; 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Don't care what anyone says... The Mason tool is for the shade tree gun plumber that doesn't have the ability to do anything other than a shade tree job. Just because Brownell's sells it doesn't mean it is the right thing to use. Brownell's is the gunsmith's equivalent to what JC Whitney is for wannabe car guys. If it was soo good no one would bother with a lathe to cut crowns. Why don't you poll the handful of reputable smiths that contribute to this forum.

Comment

Kortik,

I mentioned the driver. Apparently, that flew over your head....It was the OP that mentioned that Brownell's cutter.

Was not aware of the expandable pilot.

Now you can take a Xanax and calm down...
                    Big Gorilla Gunworks
                    (727) 233-2258
                    Custom Bolt Actions/ Mauser/Mosin-Nagant
                    Professional Cerakote Application

Comment

Originally posted by Wannashootit View Post
                      Kortik,

I mentioned the driver. Apparently, that flew over your head....It was the OP that mentioned that Brownell's cutter.

Was not aware of the expandable pilot.

Now you can take a Xanax and calm down...
                      You mentioned a lot of things which were totally wrong about "DM crowning system".

OP did mention Brownells cutter, but your post #7 was all about "DM crowning system".

Not sure what flew over your head, but while you have no idea about "DM crowning system", you still post about it...
                      Last edited by kortik; 09-19-2017, 01:59 AM.

Comment

What tool is used to measure 0.000000000000000001? And how much does that tool cost?
                        Last edited by jrbet83; 09-13-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

I cut 11* crowns on my lathe, they turn out great.

My buddy has the Manson tool that he used on my factory R700 223. Worked great and fixed my crown without the hassle of fighting the barrel off.

Comment

Originally posted by brutus895 View Post
                            I cut 11* crowns on my lathe, they turn out great.

My buddy has the Manson tool that he used on my factory R700 223. Worked great and fixed my crown without the hassle of fighting the barrel off.
                            Correct. Believe me the tool works. Offsetting the hassle might be worth the money. Depends on you. YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                            X