Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headache and questions for the masses

Okay folks, here's the story

last fall I took a Remington 700 LTR .308 20" to a local smith after contacting him asking could he thread my barrel to 5/8x24 as my factory barrel was not threaded. The smith said he'd have no issues threading it and said that turn around time would be a month to 6 weeks. Sounds about right. I brought the rifle to him and around a month later he called me saying it was ready. I went to pick it up a week later, and brought a silencerco break to put on it and to check the threads. It wouldn't thread on. He requested I leave the break, and give him more time which I did. 2 weeks later I came back and he had the break on and locked down. He said he had used an older A2 style birdcage to test the threads and the break I provided must've been a much tighter tolerance. Fair enough, thank you sir. A month or so later I went to a buddy's house for a ladder test on a hunting load since season was approaching. Put a saker 7.62 on the break and fired the first round to reset zero so the ladder could begin. That shot went completely out of my sight picture @ 100 yards. Not surprising, so my spotter said fire another so he could see where POI was. Second shot hit low left about 60 feet at 100, and had a light baffle strike on the endcap. Needless to say not happy. So took the can off and couldn't get the rifle to group AT ALL. Put it up and figured we'd assess another day since rain set in.

Fast forward to this spring. Nothing had been done with the rifle mentioned at all. My spotter sent a Winchester 70 30-06 to be threaded and added a silencerco flash hider. A week after picking it up, he called me and said he had baffle strike that chipped the end cap of the saker (can is his) shooting factory ammo to zero the rifle. Same smith.

We contacted the smith and went to his shop not telling him there was an issue. Showed up with the rifles and his first response was blaming it on reloads which clearly wasn't the issue. Then he pulled his indicator rod out saying he used it to center the mill on the bore instead of trying to get it right off the OD of the barrel. Went to slide the rod in the barrel of mine and my buddies rifles, neither would go in. It entered the break/flash hider and stopped at the crown. Clearly something is off. He asked to keep the rifles to diagnose and said it was prob a degree off which would be his fault. A month later we had no answer, and the smith called saying the threads are concentric and asked to hold the can for a week or two to look into this farther. The can works great on other rifles of ours. The spotter asked why he needed it that long as he needs it during the week bc he shoots daily and said he'd be happy to bring it by for a few hours so he could check whatever he needed but no longer than that. The smith said that wasn't good enough so my buddy sent him a message saying he was picking his rifle up and taking it to a reputable smith for diagnosis and if they called it a poor thread job the original smith was getting the repair bill. The smith refunded his money paid but never agreed to pay the next smith's bill even if it was his fault. So NOW the smith tells me he's going to remove my barrel and figure it out, but it'll be a while since his vice has failed. I'm not really interested in losing anymore length on my barrel as it was only 20" to start with. What should I do, and what should I expect as a resolution to this situation?? I've lost my patience considering I'm fairly frustrated with the way he's addressed a mistake he finally admitted was prob his, and not to mention it's a dangerous place he put us both in. Let's hear talks opinions please

I would try and get the same deal your spotter did and get my rifle away from this guy and in the hands of someone who can fix it,,if you let him try and fix it your gonna lose the thread length and then lose it again when you have someone else fix it after he messes it up again,,
    you never met a

Comment

What he said ^

Comment

Ditto to what was said above, he should also offer to pay to have your cans fixed. How he indicated your barrels in wasn't done correctly and they will need to be cut back and rethreaded.

Casey

Comment

Oh, btw the LTR in question that will no longer group at any distance would easily hold under 1"@100yds with decent factory ammunition and close to .5Moa with multiple loads devolved after acquiring it. Now i'd be lucky to shoot an 8" group at 100

Comment

I don't disagree with anything said above, but are you saying your rifle won't hold an 8" group with no muzzle device?
            Doesn't make sense to me; threads being cut non-concentric to the bore shouldn't affect accuracy with no muzzle device. I'm wondering if he shoved a "too tight" indicator rod down the bore and damaged the rifling, or crown?
            Big Gorilla Gunworks
            (727) 233-2258
            Custom Bolt Actions/ Mauser/Mosin-Nagant
            Professional Cerakote Application

Comment

Just tell him to give you your rile back, take it to someone else and get it done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannashootit View Post
                I don't disagree with anything said above, but are you saying your rifle won't hold an 8" group with no muzzle device?
                Doesn't make sense to me; threads being cut non-concentric to the bore shouldn't affect accuracy with no muzzle device. I'm wondering if he shoved a "too tight" indicator rod down the bore and damaged the rifling, or crown?
                I haven't shot it without the break, as he still has the rifle. He also said his indicator rod measured .2975 which shouldn't be too tight?

Comment

Get the rifle back along with a refund, and take it somewhere else. There are several reputable smiths here who have very reasonable turnaround times and great prices. Send it to one of them. Send the suppressor in for repairs and make sure they send the repair bill to that hack "gunsmith".

Comment

He isn't a gunsmith if he can't get a muzzle thread job correct. He is just a dude that tinkers on other people's guns. Muzzle threading is probably the second simplest job a gunsmith performs on a lathe next to crowning. It drives me crazy every time I hear a gunsmith wants the muzzle device so they can match the threads to the device. Thread wires cost next to nothing and are easy to use.

The Smith in this case probably just eyeballed the bore concentricity at the tip of the muzzle. Get your gun back even if you take a loss. Find a Smith that treats you right and stick with them.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordamer View Post
                      He isn't a gunsmith if he can't get a muzzle thread job correct. He is just a dude that tinkers on other people's guns. Muzzle threading is probably the second simplest job a gunsmith performs on a lathe next to crowning. It drives me crazy every time I hear a gunsmith wants the muzzle device so they can match the threads to the device. Thread wires cost next to nothing and are easy to use.

The Smith in this case probably just eyeballed the bore concentricity at the tip of the muzzle. Get your gun back even if you take a loss. Find a Smith that treats you right and stick with them.
                      Yup, a gunsmith doesn't use a mass produced flash hider that was cut with a oversize tap to check threads. Thread wires or class 3 gages are the only way.

Comment

Send it to us. It'll be in/out in less than a week. Threads will be gauged with certified ring gauges. Unfortunately, this isn't as uncommon as one would hope in this trade.

https://www.longriflesinc.com/collec...zzle-threading

"Bring extra funds to replace whoevers steel you're gonna fuck up with that thing."
                        -Killswitchengage

Comment

Originally posted by LongRifles, Inc. View Post
                          Send it to us. It'll be in/out in less than a week. Threads will be gauged with certified ring gauges. Unfortunately, this isn't as uncommon as one would hope in this trade.

https://www.longriflesinc.com/collec...zzle-threading
                          I'll send you a pm tomorrow sir. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Rog2069 View Post

I'll send you a pm tomorrow sir. Thank you
                            Good choice, he is not kidding. Great work and great service too, in the rare occasion a problem may arise.

Comment

I've had horrible luck with local GS shops.

We have a couple so called smiths like that in my town right now, just lucky I guess, aye. There were 3 more local smiths in years past that screwed up guns of mine. It's amazing how they can F-up such simple jobs. I could do it myself and it would turn out better.

I hire by reputation only now so in other words I don't take a chance anymore.

Comment

Send it to Mr Dixon at LRI. Or if local to Denver, Mile High is good. Those are the two places I have used for work.
                                There are others, just my experience and both have always done it quick and correct for a fair price.
                                Last edited by powdahound76; 08-15-2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X