Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leofoto tripods

Collapse

728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Leofoto tripods

    Does anyone here have any hands on experience with the Leofoto tripod legs? I am curious about the LN-404C or the LN-364C. At half the cost of a RRS or Gitzo, are they half as good? I think I saw one in a photo taken at the PRS finale this weekend but I canít be sure. I have read positive reviews on a few photographic forums but nothing from a shooters perspective.

  • #26
    Originally posted by Natestreo View Post
    I was thinking that .... the RRS TA-3-LC uses the set screws dr the series 3 RRS and Gitzo tripods to lock it in. Even if I got a 75mm bowl adapter Iím not sure that it would actually provide anything to lock the Leveling head in. I believe weíre on the same page.
    Isn't the Feisol 3372 the same price as the tripod being discussed? I see the attraction of this in the 404C, but damn it is getting heavy like the Getzo. I get that the RRS is almost $400 more but nothing really wrong with the 3372
    ELR DIY Target Cam tested well past 2000m
    NOTE: images etc do not display correctly in the Tapatalk app

    Comment


    • #27
      I donít think so, unless Iím mistaken. I got the 404C for $500 shipped. And I thought the Feisol was a bit more than that.

      I could step down to the Leofoto 364C for $400 range and have a plenty beefy tripod with less weight. Although, weight isnít much of a factor for me as I wonít be transporting this more than 20-30 yards at a time max.

      Comment


      • #28
        Not that it matters but I have the RRS and the Feisol 3372 . The 3372 was about the same price but 3.8lbs vrs almost 2x the weight of the 404c. That is a big deal even shooting stages as all our crap adds up fast.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        ELR DIY Target Cam tested well past 2000m
        NOTE: images etc do not display correctly in the Tapatalk app

        Comment


        • #29
          I have a big job interview tomorrow. If I end up being offered a position I might just celebrate by breaking down and getting the RRS tripod lol

          Comment


          • #30
            Originally posted by bluebu70 View Post
            For what itís worth, the TA-3-LC works perfectly with the LN-364 tripod. F9B44171-02A1-483E-8BCE-3B0CBA407EAB.jpeg
            I completely missed this yesterday. Thank you for sharing.

            Is the TA-3-LC locked in using the clamp alone? Or does the platform release line up as well?

            Comment


            • #31
              Originally posted by bluebu70
              For what it’s worth, the TA-3-LC works perfectly with the LN-364 tripod. F9B44171-02A1-483E-8BCE-3B0CBA407EAB.jpeg
              Looks good, the 364 is lighter too than the 4o4c correct ? But it still is listed at nearly 6lbs. Does that include a ball head or something?

              Also does the (two?)retaining screws line up in the grove of the TA-3?

              If so that looks like the one to get over the 404


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Diver160651; 01-10-2018, 09:51 AM.
              ELR DIY Target Cam tested well past 2000m
              NOTE: images etc do not display correctly in the Tapatalk app

              Comment


              • #32
                Originally posted by Diver160651 View Post

                Looks good, the 364 is lighter too than the 4o4c correct ? But it still is listed at nearly 6lbs. Does that include a ball head or something?

                Also does the (two?)retaining screws line up in the grove of the TA-3?

                If so that looks like the one to get over the 404


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                Comment


                • #33
                  The weight that I measured was tripod and base adaptor only. There werenít any retaining screws on my TA-3-LC head. The head snaps into the retention button on the tripod and the friction lock secures it. The TA-3 head fits the Leofoto 364c as good as it does a RRS tripod.

                  Comment


                  • #34
                    A friend of mine owns a Leofoto LN-404C tripod. We're both impressed with its function and stability. We did a video review about it. https://youtu.be/2LklC9-ppes

                    Comment


                    • #35
                      Originally posted by Diver160651 View Post

                      Looks good, the 364 is lighter too than the 4o4c correct ? But it still is listed at nearly 6lbs. Does that include a ball head or something?

                      Also does the (two?)retaining screws line up in the grove of the TA-3?

                      If so that looks like the one to get over the 404


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                      Correct. The 364C is lighter than the 404C by a couple pounds I believe. They also make an LN-324C model that is lighter even still, I think that one rates to 55lbs.

                      I managed to arrange an exchange for the 364C earlier today. Going to roll that direction now that I have confirmation it works so well.


                      FWIW... if you compare the design of the Leofoto adapters to the RRS, theyíre nearly identical. The only difference in this setup is the way in which the pieces someone chooses actually secure into the tripod.

                      ie: RRS, Feisol, Gitzo all use screws to tension the Leveling or ball head to the tripod.

                      ie: Leofoto uses a single push button safety lock and a friction knob that allows a significant amount of tension to be applied.

                      Comment


                      • #36
                        Okay, so how does one make the 404C work with the TA-3? Or are we coming to the conclusion that such is not possible?

                        I have a 404C coming in the mail, as well as a TA-3. Sounding like I'm going to want to try to exchange?

                        Comment


                        • #37
                          Originally posted by DP425 View Post
                          Okay, so how does one make the 404C work with the TA-3? Or are we coming to the conclusion that such is not possible?

                          I have a 404C coming in the mail, as well as a TA-3. Sounding like I'm going to want to try to exchange?
                          I imagine you could have a reducer ring machined but I think you'd be money ahead just swapping out for a 364. I got mine the other day and it's light years ahead of the manfrotto 055xb for stability but not as fast to deploy. I put a sirui k40x on it and was able to find some play in the pan bearing that was undetectable on the manfrotto. I need to order a ta-3.

                          Comment


                          • #38
                            Originally posted by Lowe Left View Post
                            A friend of mine owns a Leofoto LN-404C tripod. We're both impressed with its function and stability. We did a video review about it. https://youtu.be/2LklC9-ppes
                            Thank you for the video, It looks like a nice tripod to use.

                            Comment


                            • #39
                              Does the TA-3 also work on the LN-324C?

                              Comment


                              • #40
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lkl...ature=youtu.be

                                Comment


                                • #41
                                  Originally posted by DP425 View Post
                                  Okay, so how does one make the 404C work with the TA-3? Or are we coming to the conclusion that such is not possible?

                                  I have a 404C coming in the mail, as well as a TA-3. Sounding like I'm going to want to try to exchange?

                                  I have been told that the universal leveling head will work with the 404C but I can confirm the TA-3 will not. I exchanged my 404C for the 364C. With as overbuilt as the 404C is I have no hesitation swapping. In fact, I kinda prefer to swap to save weight.

                                  Comment


                                  • #42
                                    Originally posted by oakfig View Post
                                    Does the TA-3 also work on the LN-324C?
                                    Really doubt the apex opening is large enough. That one is designed around a 60mm bowl.

                                    Comment


                                    • #43
                                      Originally posted by Natestreo View Post


                                      I have been told that the universal leveling head will work with the 404C but I can confirm the TA-3 will not. I exchanged my 404C for the 364C. With as overbuilt as the 404C is I have no hesitation swapping. In fact, I kinda prefer to swap to save weight.
                                      Okay, thanks. I'll have to see if I can return and exchange.

                                      Any ideas on one of their tripods for spotting scope use? Have the pistol grip heads totally fallen out of favor, or are they a good match for a spotter still?

                                      Comment


                                      • #44
                                        Originally posted by DP425 View Post

                                        Okay, thanks. I'll have to see if I can return and exchange.

                                        Any ideas on one of their tripods for spotting scope use? Have the pistol grip heads totally fallen out of favor, or are they a good match for a spotter still?
                                        If your running a reticle in your spotter for shooter corrections and weight and size aren't a huge issue try to get behind a good quality geared head. You can make amazingly precise adjustments and you corrections will seem to come faster.

                                        Otherwise I prefer a good ball-head that locks up without the sagging of most pistol grips.

                                        ELR DIY Target Cam tested well past 2000m
                                        NOTE: images etc do not display correctly in the Tapatalk app

                                        Comment


                                        • #45
                                          Originally posted by Diver160651 View Post

                                          If your running a reticle in your spotter for shooter corrections and weight and size aren't a huge issue try to get behind a good quality geared head. You can make amazingly precise adjustments and you corrections will seem to come faster.

                                          Otherwise I prefer a good ball-head that locks up without the sagging of most pistol grips.
                                          Agreed. The Desmond / Demon ballheads that are available are a HUGE value. They make ďinspiredĒ models of popular brands. Check them out if youíre in the market and donít want to spend a lot.

                                          Comment


                                          • #46
                                            It's really a weight issue,

                                            The Leofoto is pretty nicely built but weighs almost twice as much as the RRS of an equal size. (almost equal). Stability is very good though thanks to the weight and size.

                                            The Leofoto is taller, but I like the controls, it's just very big. I am using their Leveling base that Bobby sent with it, and it works very well. I would just use their stuff to guarantee it works.
                                            Watch your thoughts; they become words.
                                            Watch your words; they become actions.
                                            Watch your actions; they become habits.
                                            Watch your habits; they become character.
                                            Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
                                            --Frank Outlaw

                                            Comment


                                            • #47
                                              Originally posted by Lowlight View Post
                                              It's really a weight issue,

                                              The Leofoto is pretty nicely built but weighs almost twice as much as the RRS of an equal size. (almost equal). Stability is very good though thanks to the weight and size.

                                              The Leofoto is taller, but I like the controls, it's just very big. I am using their Leveling base that Bobby sent with it, and it works very well. I would just use their stuff to guarantee it works.
                                              Which model Leofoto in particular are you talking about? Or are both the 404C and 364C heavy for their size?

                                              Comment


                                              • #48
                                                Originally posted by Diver160651 View Post

                                                If your running a reticle in your spotter for shooter corrections and weight and size aren't a huge issue try to get behind a good quality geared head. You can make amazingly precise adjustments and you corrections will seem to come faster.

                                                Otherwise I prefer a good ball-head that locks up without the sagging of most pistol grips.
                                                Good tips. You have any idea what a good option for a geared head is? That won't break the bank anyway? Might be worth going that direction first.

                                                Comment


                                                • #49
                                                  Both are heavier than the RRS by a good measure.

                                                  Spec wise, and this is just the legs, not including attachments

                                                  364C - 5.7 LBS
                                                  404C - 7.5 LBS

                                                  RRS 33 Series - 4.3 LBS
                                                  RRS 23 Series - 3.3 LBS
                                                  RRS 24 Series - 3.3 LBS

                                                  In your hand, it's quite noticeable, I have the 364C here, as well as Most of the RRS models (one note I am not using the L models)

                                                  Final Comparison

                                                  Hog Saddle

                                                  PRST - 4.1 LBS - CF
                                                  0311 - 5.6 LBS - AL

                                                  The 364C is a big tripod unless you are over 6FT tall it's a bit overkill the LS-324C appears to be the correct model for shooting. It's 3.1 LBS with a 33LBS weight rating. They have some solid lightweight smaller models vs going with the big heavy 75mm ball versions, just use the lighter ones with a standard ball head.
                                                  Last edited by Lowlight; 01-12-2018, 04:52 PM.
                                                  Watch your thoughts; they become words.
                                                  Watch your words; they become actions.
                                                  Watch your actions; they become habits.
                                                  Watch your habits; they become character.
                                                  Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
                                                  --Frank Outlaw

                                                  Comment


                                                  • #50
                                                    Originally posted by Lowlight View Post
                                                    Both are heavier than the RRS by a good measure.

                                                    Spec wise, and this is just the legs, not including attachments

                                                    364C - 5.7 LBS
                                                    404C - 7.5 LBS

                                                    RRS 33 Series - 4.3 LBS
                                                    RRS 23 Series - 3.3 LBS
                                                    RRS 24 Series - 3.3 LBS

                                                    In your hand, it's quite noticeable, I have the 364C here, as well as Most of the RRS models (one note I am not using the L models)

                                                    Final Comparison

                                                    Hog Saddle

                                                    PRST - 4.1 LBS - CF
                                                    0311 - 5.6 LBS - AL

                                                    The 364C is a big tripod unless you are over 6FT tall it's a bit overkill the LS-324C appears to be the correct model for shooting. It's 3.1 LBS with a 33LBS weight rating. They have some solid lightweight smaller models vs going with the big heavy 75mm ball versions, just use the lighter ones with a standard ball head.
                                                    That is a good difference. But, should be tolerable on the 364C since I'm not really humping this stuff around these days, and I'm 6'3".

                                                    Going to have to investigate their lighter tripods that come with ball heads for my spotter. That sounds like perhaps the easiest route to go.

                                                    Thanks

                                                    Comment

                                                    Working...
                                                    X