728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetospeed Adapter

MPA has come out with a Magnetospeed adapter but it doesn't work with suppressors so I decided to build my own. Adapter connects directly to chassis via front pic rail. Works great, no POI change. Easy on easy off.
    Last edited by stevenc23; 08-14-2017, 11:49 PM.

Originally posted by strikeeagle1 View Post

Oh, you want to see my free-floating setup for a carbine. You are welcome.
    For a rifle, I would put the mount where the Atlas is mounted and just assembly the system upside down.

I really don't understand the need to have muzzle velocity data collection and POI inextricably linked; no one is
    shooting 1K with a MSV3 attached are they ?
    Very nice setup.

Take a look at Frank's interview with David Tubb where he actually shot the 2 Mile match/exhibition with his adapter. I personally find it very helpful during load development (OCW) and also when truing dope.

Comment

^^^With a sling support setup the weight of the chronograph is borne by the rail not the suppressor; it's the poor man's simple system. Some complain the MSV3 alters their POI. Some complain their suppressors alter their POI. Certainly the combination most likely does. I prefer to just get the MV data, remove the MSV3, zero the suppressed weapon at whatever range, establish your range dope either empirically or input into ballistic calculator for obtaining holds. So the necessity to have a free-floating chronograph seems to be an unnecessary luxury in my view.
      Last edited by strikeeagle1; 08-16-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

For me, there's not the need. But there is obviously a market.

Comment

Agreed, there's no need but there is a want. I want to record every shot on my new build but still be able to see how it's behaving. And I know: labradar. But there's something about that I don't like and something about the v3 that I do. Maybe it's comfortability with what I know or recency bias. The adaptor just needs to accommodate my can and not make the combination more than a labradar.

Comment

I want a Labradar ! with some of the idiosyncrasies resolved.

Comment

For those that are not running suppressors or have a short barrel with / without a muzzle device my adapter is slightly different, however still 3-axis adjustable. In this setup I only use one mounting point to the rail adapter on the rifle pica tinny rail, doing so allows fine angular adjustment of the bore axis to the magnetic sensor deck axis; once exactly as desired, really snug it down and you are good to go. The fabrication is quite simple; I have used aluminum bar stock in 1/8" & 1/4" and Magpul polymer rails. Shown last are my adapters and riser options to get the task done. Shown mounted on a 6.8 SPC SBR. Haven't decided yet if I need to paint the brackets. You can source the rail clamps at holsterops.com. IMG_6422 copy.jpg
              IMG_6426 copy.jpg
              IMG_6428 copy.jpg
              IMG_6437 copy.jpg

IMG_6425 Annotated.JPGIMG_6424.JPG
              IMG_6431 copy.jpg
              Attached Files
              Last edited by strikeeagle1; 08-19-2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Alright, got something put together for those of you that have a Magnetospeed Sporter. Really happy with how it turned out.

Parts list:
                Quick Connect Picatinny Rail Adapter (knockoff of ADM style clamp) - $10 on ebay
                Aluminum L channel - $4 from Home Depot
                Screws, Nylon lock nuts, washers - $2.50 at the local hardware store
                Sling stud/swivel - already had on hand

The QD clamp was a two piece clamp with screws already countersunk for the pic rail attachment. (see shortened ebay link here for the one I got - https://tinyurl.com/ya49qpu7 ). I removed the screws and drilled all the way through the picatinny rail to fit my longer replacement screws. The notched pic rail section rests against the edge of the L channel to help prevent twisting. I added enough washers to give me the proper standoff. At the other end I drilled a hole through the L channel to fit the screw from the sling stud, and located it so that the L channel rests against the side of the Magnetospeed to keep it from twisting. You can use the screw knob from the magnetospeed since it is the same thread pitch and also uses a sling stud swivel for the strap.

Clips on/off in seconds, really light weight, and is very rigid due to the L channel material which prevents twisting and flex.

Hope this is helpful to someone else. You should be able to make one in under 30 minutes with just a drill and a hacksaw to cut the L channel to length.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheldon N View Post
                  Alright, got something put together for those of you that have a Magnetospeed Sporter. Really happy with how it turned out.

Parts list:
                  Quick Connect Picatinny Rail Adapter (knockoff of ADM style clamp) - $10 on ebay
                  Aluminum L channel - $4 from Home Depot
                  Screws, Nylon lock nuts, washers - $2.50 at the local hardware store
                  Sling stud/swivel - already had on hand

The QD clamp was a two piece clamp with screws already countersunk for the pic rail attachment. (see shortened ebay link here for the one I got - https://tinyurl.com/ya49qpu7 ). I removed the screws and drilled all the way through the picatinny rail to fit my longer replacement screws. The notched pic rail section rests against the edge of the L channel to help prevent twisting. I added enough washers to give me the proper standoff. At the other end I drilled a hole through the L channel to fit the screw from the sling stud, and located it so that the L channel rests against the side of the Magnetospeed to keep it from twisting. You can use the screw knob from the magnetospeed since it is the same thread pitch and also uses a sling stud swivel for the strap.

Clips on/off in seconds, really light weight, and is very rigid due to the L channel material which prevents twisting and flex.

Hope this is helpful to someone else. You should be able to make one in under 30 minutes with just a drill and a hacksaw to cut the L channel to length.

very nice sir

Comment

I've been thinking of one of these as well. As the rifle flexes under recoil, what happens to the adapter? How does it flex? Are the readings still just as accurate? I would imagine that when the MS is attached directly to the rifle, the barrel and the MS move as one unit. When the MS is attached with an adapter, who's to say that they don't move differently every time , or the angle of deflection is greater because the mounting point is a foot or so away from the bayonet?

Comment

Not 100% sure on the flex issue, but I can say that the whole assembly is quite rigid, even more so than I was expecting when I thought it up. The L channel really helps with that. Also, there's not much recoil since I'm shooting Dasher, lol. Should have it out for a range test this weekend to see how it does.

Comment

I'm getting close to having something real cool to show you guys. Did some testing yesterday.
                        Owner, MK Machining:

We manufacture high quality precision shooting accessories. Throw levers, scope levels, modular reloading trays, waterjet cut AR500, etc.

mkmachining.com 10% off for Hide members, "SH10" at checkout

Comment

Have a sporter and looking to do the same thing. Cut the mounting portion down to give it more depth like the V3 to account for larger muzzle brakes. Just have to hit up lowes to see what I come up with.

Comment

My solution for my V3. All parts bought at Home Depot (except pic rail mount). Height adjustments can be made with the normal V3 spacers or smaller adjustments can be made by adding or removing washers. Small length adjustments are made by loosening the set screws and sliding the rod that the Magnetto is attached to in or out and I made a second longer rod for suppressor use.
                            Last edited by afd77; 09-02-2017, 06:51 PM.
                            My GTG list: ballistic1, Grand, jasonk, LibertyOptics, SoCalSheepdog, elkhuntingguide, diggler44, HillBillySniper, Ts1, dtask, krw, blaster7, htony1, ker2222, 21Bravo, ewoaf, M1Tanker, Jer, pwc001, Broz, MLC

Comment

Ok, after much thought about this subject I jumped in and made one for my Fat Rat. My design is made out of POS AR handguard I had laying around. And a AR15 rail adapter for a scope mount. This adapter is easy to install and remove in just seconds. The only mod was to shorten the handguard with a bandsaw. Nothing special is needed to make one, for longer barrels just get a longer handguard. Mine is on a 20" barrel with a 15" handguard.
                              Last edited by Rangemaster; 09-03-2017, 03:15 PM.
                              NRA Life Member
                              PVGC Member
                              What is your dope?

Comment

Here is mine I got to use on my grendel and savage with xlr element stock. Mainly just in prototype stage so may clean it up more.
                                Attached Files

Comment

You guys inspired me. I had to make one that would work with all my AXMC barrels. I made it adjustable for 26" to 30" barrels with my can on. I had an extra acog mount laying around that I used for the mount to the gun. I used one of my AI rail sections for the other end. The rod is just 1/2" dia. aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Fursniper View Post
                                    If someone would simply make an adapter that attaches to a standard picatinny rail and would adjust to different barrel lengths, the world would beat a path to their door. I can hardly believe someone hasn't already done this....
                                    I believe there has been one for about a year or so now. I know of several others that have been tested and are currently still being perfected. One of which would work for barrels suppressed and unsuppressed SBR - 40+ in total barrel length. Like I said though, several companies have had these things in the works for a while.
                                    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RecoilPhotographyOKC

Comment

Originally posted by JBM_DC View Post

I believe there has been one for about a year or so now. I know of several others that have been tested and are currently still being perfected. One of which would work for barrels suppressed and unsuppressed SBR - 40+ in total barrel length. Like I said though, several companies have had these things in the works for a while.
                                      If you know of something available commercially that will attach to a standard stock to a bottom mounted rail (like for a bipod) I AM All EARS.

Comment

I recently contacted MagnetoSpeed to inquire about free-floating adapters and show some prototype designs of my own. Here is what Mr. Hey responded. I inferred from his answer that they will be staying in their mfg. lane of developing chronos, not a variety of mounting solutions, leaving adapter development to 3rd parties. Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 7.17.50 AM.png

By the way, does anyone know how to disable the annoying automatic spell correcting feature. Almost every time I post I have to re-edit some nonsense word substitution that has occurred.
                                        Last edited by strikeeagle1; 09-09-2017, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by strikeeagle1 View Post
                                          I recently contacted MagnetoSpeed to inquire about free-floating adapters and show some prototype designs of my own. Here is what Mr. Hey responded. I inferred from his answer that they will be staying in their mfg. lane of developing chronos, not a variety of mounting solutions, leaving adapter development to 3rd parties. Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 7.17.50 AM.png

By the way, does anyone know how to disable the annoying automatic spell correcting feature. Almost every time I post I have to re-edit some nonsense word substitution that has occurred.
                                          Thanks for the info. Seems like most guys are making alternative mounting solutions for AR'S & chassis sytems and/or spigot mounts. I need something that will work with an A5 type of stock. May have my smith take a wack at it.

As to your other thing, go into "settings" and turn off the "auto correct" and that will solve the problem.

Comment

Here is my entrance into the field. Going to make another thread for this, but here's a few pics. Very adjustable and mounts on a standard rail.

Owner, MK Machining:

We manufacture high quality precision shooting accessories. Throw levers, scope levels, modular reloading trays, waterjet cut AR500, etc.

Comment

Nice elegent entry into this arena!

Comment

I need a solution for my AR like this. I have a rail that extends almost to my muzzle but when rail mounted it gets the MS too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting looking arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by Kadams1563 View Post
                                                    I need a solution for my AR like this. I have a rail that extends almost to my muzzle but when rail mounted it gets the MS too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                    the mount i posted is extremely adjustable..would probably work for you
                                                    Owner, MK Machining:

Comment

Working...
                                                    X