728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6mm Creedmoor data w/6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass

Has anyone tried the combination yet? Shooting a 6 Creedmoor with sized down 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass? Would like info on 105 Hybrid and 110 SMK if anyone has tried it. H4350 powder. Thanks in advance.

"A bad day of shooting still beats a good day of work"--some one else said this at one time. I agree.

I run the about the same combo, but with RL 16 powder, so my info will be vague, but relevant. First, seems like you know it has slightly reduced capacity than Hornady brass.
    Here, if you had your chamber throated for the hybrid and planned on running it somewhat close to lands, even though the bearing surface of your 2 bullets is close, the 110 will be out of your case quite a ways if you plan to shoot it close to the lands. So your powder charge can vary a bit, using more with the 110 when it should be the opposite.

Comment

Thanks for the info Milo 2.5
      "A bad day of shooting still beats a good day of work"--some one else said this at one time. I agree.

Comment

One other, 105 hybrid, .012" off the lands like clockwork, regardless of freebore, 110 varies of throat length, if throated for the 110 specifically, 8 off worked really well, a .134" freebore reamer, which I do not like for the 110, 20 off worked good here.
        Last edited by Milo 2.5; 08-28-2017, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo 2.5 View Post
          One other, 105 hybrid, .012" off the lands like clockwork, regardless of freebore, 110 varies of throat length, if throated for the 110 specifically, 8 off worked really well, a .134" freebore reamer, which I do not like for the 110, 20 off worked good here.
          Great insight. I appreciate that. So basically, Hornady brass w/ 42 gr. H4350 is what was working prior. To achieve the same results, one might see 41.6 gr. of H4350 doing that in the Lapua due to case volume. Just kicking around a little work up. I'm doing 105 Hyrbids .010 off lands (.188 FB) with Lapua brass 41.6, 41.9 and 42.2 gr. H4350. I have a 22" barrel suppressed. 41.6 gr gets me 3028 fps and 42.5 gr gets me 3130 fps. That punishes the brass. I am looking for the happy medium of 3080-3100 with the 105 hybrid. This bullet seems to shoot the same at 3150fps all the way to 3080 fps area.
          I have not messed with the 110 SMK yet, but I figure starting load with same .188 FB will be 41.3, 41.6 and 41.9 of H4350. I have some experience with the 110 SMK in a .243 24" barrel @ 3004 fps so I think I should be able to get that out of my 22" depending on how things look working up to it using the Lapua brass.

Interested to hear your thoughts. I am more so thinking out loud here. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveMarine1 View Post

Great insight. I appreciate that. So basically, Hornady brass w/ 42 gr. H4350 is what was working prior. To achieve the same results, one might see 41.6 gr. of H4350 doing that in the Lapua due to case volume. Just kicking around a little work up. I'm doing 105 Hyrbids .010 off lands (.188 FB) with Lapua brass 41.6, 41.9 and 42.2 gr. H4350. I have a 22" barrel suppressed. 41.6 gr gets me 3028 fps and 42.5 gr gets me 3130 fps. That punishes the brass. I am looking for the happy medium of 3080-3100 with the 105 hybrid. This bullet seems to shoot the same at 3150fps all the way to 3080 fps area.
            I have not messed with the 110 SMK yet, but I figure starting load with same .188 FB will be 41.3, 41.6 and 41.9 of H4350. I have some experience with the 110 SMK in a .243 24" barrel @ 3004 fps so I think I should be able to get that out of my 22" depending on how things look working up to it using the Lapua brass.

Interested to hear your thoughts. I am more so thinking out loud here. Thanks again.
            LOL, I was going to go out on limb and say 41.5gr would be max in your application, not a H4350 fan here, it reaches a plateau where adding powder produces minimal gains until over pressure is realized.
            Sounds like you have a firm grip on it.

Comment

I am starting to realize what you mean by that and H4350. Eventually you don't get anymore gains and just pressure.

Comment

I am starting to realize what you mean by that and H4350. Eventually you don't get anymore gains and just pressure.
                Not my main dislike, more fighting 90% of shooters in the country for it, I'd shoot Norma MRP in the 6 creed before H4350, run it at 3150 with minimal pressure, I can master temp swings.

Comment

Milo, how are the temp swings with the R16? Say compared to H4350 or H4831SC?

Comment

Originally posted by steve123 View Post
                    Milo, how are the temp swings with the R16? Say compared to H4350 or H4831SC?
                    steve, just in the last month did 2 of us start with it, been 80-95 the whole time, have shot in the morn but temps rising so fast so nothing for you yet, depending on what you read, either the best ever or just good, lol

Comment

I run the about the same combo, but with RL 16 powder, so my info will be vague, but relevant. First, seems like you know it has slightly reduced capacity than Hornady brass.
                      Here, if you had your chamber throated for the hybrid and planned on running it somewhat close to lands, even though the bearing surface of your 2 bullets is close, the 110 will be out of your case quite a ways if you plan to shoot it close to the lands. So your powder charge can vary a bit, using more with the 110 when it should be the opposite.
                      My 110SMK shoots best .100 - 0,06 from the lands

Comment

Has anyone tried the combination yet? Shooting a 6 Creedmoor with sized down 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass? Would like info on 105 Hybrid and 110 SMK if anyone has tried it. H4350 powder. Thanks in advance.
                        I was able to play around with this setup over the last couple of weeks. From what I've seen, lapua brass produces much more consistent velocities than my hornady loads. Granted, this was with minimal prep but it was enough for me to take notice. At 42gr of h4350 I was seeing around 3060 fps with 105gr berger hybrids. Not that I have much experience, but I absolutely love this powder in 6mm creedmoor and I'll just leave it at that...
                        Last edited by snipershidephil; 08-28-2017, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Thanks again for the information guys. It jives with what I was expecting. I have rounds loaded up as of this morning and the Kahles is on the brown truck as we speak! Will mount it up and tomorrow morning I will lob some downrange and see what we see.

Comment

steve, just in the last month did 2 of us start with it, been 80-95 the whole time, have shot in the morn but temps rising so fast so nothing for you yet, depending on what you read, either the best ever or just good, lol
                            Okay, keep us posted in the future please.

Comment

Update - Wile fire forming the 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass in my 6 creedmoor, I found most charges of H4350 to be the same as what I saw with my Hornady brass. This is a 22" barrel I am using. 105 hybrid and 42gr. of H4350 gets me 3082fps and charges go up to 42.5 gr H4350 and that got me 3120 fps. About on par. My brass is growing about .015" on the initial firing in order to fit my chamber, When I measure at the ogive, it is (and these are just example #'s I cant remember what it real was) 2.204" and once fired and de-primed, measured at the ogive it is 2.219". I see a ejector mark with slight stiff bolt lift but primers are still round. I wonder if the second fire on the brass, since it is blown out now, how it will shoot. My guess is better.

Comment

Also, the 110 SMK's shoot basically the same accuracy wise. Due to mag length, they are at a .060 jump. Which isn't bad, I have experience with them at this seating depth. They shoot good. The charge of 42gr H4350 gets a little over 3000fps. 42.3gr H4350 get 3032 fps. Again, not bad but the pressure seemed lower than the 105's and one could probably go higher and get these to 3100 fps no problem with the Lapua brass. I will do more testing but as of now am focusing on the 105's.

Comment

What is your preferred freebore for the 110's? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by JWG284 View Post

What is your preferred freebore for the 110's? Thanks in advance.
                                    I'm about to set mine back with a .110" freebore reamer, let me gather some info, to say right now I can't. No clue on freebore of the one that lies .008" off, not sure how to get a good measurement either.

Comment

Originally posted by craigos View Post

My 110SMK shoots best .100 - 0,06 from the lands
                                      I have had very good luck with 110g SMKs at .030" off the lands. shoots one hole with RL16 and RL26

Comment

Update - Shot a match this past weekend and finished 6th. 42 gr. H4350 pushing a 105 hybrid at 3082fps was very consistent. 22" suppressed barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by mpk1996 View Post

I have had very good luck with 110g SMKs at .030" off the lands. shoots one hole with RL16 and RL26
                                          I was able to get some R16 over the weekend. What load are you running roughly for the 110's? I have tried 42 gr - 42.3 gr of H4350 and all seems good. Getting 3030fps roughly. What do you see on your end with the R16? From what I hear, R16 is faster speeds with same charge as H4350 and it shows less pressure? Any truth to that?

Comment

Update - Shot a match this past weekend and finished 6th. 42 gr. H4350 pushing a 105 hybrid at 3082fps was very consistent. 22" suppressed barrel.
                                            Did you turn your necks? Was told you "must" to get rid of the doughnut.

Comment

Originally posted by craigos View Post

Did you turn your necks? Was told you "must" to get rid of the doughnut.
                                              I did not. It appears that the COAL allows for the bearing surface to be above the neck shoulder junction. I am new to the "necking down" stuff but am not totally clueless. Time will tell I guess. I have shot some brass already a second time and have seen no changes except the groups were smaller. Velocity, SD, ES all appeared well with 11 ES and 4 SD

Comment

I had other guys tell me they didnt trim either, guys who are top shooters ....

Comment

Working...
                                                X