728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is using IMR 4166 for 6.5CM

Okay I need some good load information or the 6.5 Creedmoor using 4166 ?

I have Varget and H4350 data, but trying some Enduro ...

Using a 120gr Bullet and I want some speed...
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    --Frank Outlaw

Frank, give Josh K a call. He recommend this powder to me as a back up to H4350 given it's nowhere to be seen. I've not played with it yet as I plenty of H4350 to go through still.

Comment

LabRadar SD on the 4166 was 6.5fps at 3104fps ... you know that speed I was talking about along with the SD you tried preaching ...

17342643_1378167185540134_3565917386084238574_n.jpg?oh=ec5050f5070a1a155b77816218d0b32d&oe=5954EEEA.jpg

My BC is in Star Wars territory

Me vs Larry Lunch Meat

--Frank Outlaw

Comment

I am supersonic to 2100 yards with this load and if I use the Varget numbers I am supersonic to 2150...

For the Slow out there, that is Two Thousand One Hundred Yards... your mileage may vary.

Crom Laughs at your measly 1550
        --Frank Outlaw

Comment

When will you be able to share more details on the bullet? Those are really impressive numbers!

Comment

I should be done with everything come Wednesday next week then I can announce it all ... video, details. etc...

Now to load up 41.5gr of that too fast 4166 at 2.820" ... then take them to ask at the range out as far as the conditions will let me.
            --Frank Outlaw

Comment

Too many powders, so little time, next round we can try 15, I may have some in the Connex if I remember right, I know I have 17

At least I eliminated H4350 as a viable solution. Really, Varget is plenty, 43gr at 3150fps with an SD of 8, I need to play with seating depth as the accuracy was the worst of the bunch.

But out of the gate, the 4166 was on, and I loaded the least of them up. 3100 is plenty fast and it was sub 1/2" out of the gate.

Solids, but the nice the thing, you can mix these with jacketed, POI was super close to the Prime 130s as I used them to zero maybe a click off.

Tuesday is looking good to take them out, plan on hitting a Mile with them
              --Frank Outlaw

Comment

Originally posted by Lowlight View Post
                I am supersonic to 2100 yards with this load and if I use the Varget numbers I am supersonic to 2150...

For the Slow out there, that is Two Thousand One Hundred Yards... your mileage may vary.

Crom Laughs at your measly 1550
                2100 yards - that's just freakin nasty for that magic pill.

I just noticed that I preemptively used a 20" barrel instead of your 22.75" in the screenshot QL data - the numbers are much closer when I use 22.75".

Maybe gain-twist there also?
                Last edited by AIAW; 03-19-2017, 02:19 AM. Reason: Addition
                "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Edison

Comment

I thought 4166 = varget ??

Its my next powder to try.

Comment

This sounds suspiciously like a solid 120gr bullet. Interesting; can't wait to see the announcement.
                    Last edited by MarinePMI; 03-20-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Warner ? , Warner?,

Comment

A ~120gr that is still super sonic at 2100 yards with a muzzle velocity of just 3100 fps??? It would need a bc that rivals 140gr class bullets. Looking forward to seeing this.
                        My YouTube page (Guns, Reloading, Games): http://www.youtube.com/user/garandthumb

Comment

Originally posted by M47Patton View Post
                          A ~120gr that is still super sonic at 2100 yards with a muzzle velocity of just 3100 fps??? It would need a bc that rivals 140gr class bullets. Looking forward to seeing this.
                          If it's a solid, than yes, that'd make sense (since solids are very long for their weight). Given the 6.5mm bullets already having a fairly high BC, a 120 solid could conceivably have a BC near that of a traditional 140gr 6.5mm bullet. Very interesting, if that is the case...

Comment

This bullet would be killer for the 6.5 SAUM. Can't wait to hear more about this uber expensive 120gr class bullet.

Comment

Took it out to 1778 today ...

17362395_1380552208634965_1897824742042472056_n.jpg?oh=32a27ad8c93dc311d25e7c3c096a04be&oe=59528040.jpg

Here was a nice hit at 1250 ...

17351985_10155118900267953_5701915443256837857_n.jpg?oh=b4e619a3809fa5a272e1c895c5a53352&oe=5965D88B.jpg

14.6 Mils to 1778 and 8 Mils at 1250 ... LOL

Speed wins again
                              --Frank Outlaw

Comment

Frank, you shoulda used that middle fanger to point it out to Larry.

Comment

I'm disappointed, Devil. Why not 1775?

Comment

That's awesome. Can't wait for details of the bullet.

Comment

Awesome results. Looking forward to the review!

Comment

Frank, I know you haven't mentioned it, but when I was looking for speed with 120 class bullets, I turned to RL17 (Reloader Swiss 60), and it worked well.
                                        I got 3060fps with a 123gr Scenar, out of 23" barrel, using exactly 45gr of RL17.
                                        With a COAL of 2.83 (almost touching with my standard chamber) ES and SD were both low single figures.

Contrary to a lot of internet comments, I haven't seen a lot of temp sensitivity with RS60, and have seen convincing stability data from the manufacturer.

Comment

There are a lot of choice, originally the plan was to use Varget, and I had some H4350, then Mile High gave me some 4166 to try as it is advertised for 6.5CM..

I could have tried a host of powder, I have RL-17 for sure, and probably some 15 too... but when testing bullets I only have limited resources to work with. I cannot mix and match. We know Varget was working and that should have been it, but I wanted to see what H4350 would do as that is a go to 6.5 load for a lot of people.

We have a ton of choices which is great
                                          --Frank Outlaw

Comment

Just curious to your load development process. It obviously works and if I can spend less time tuning and more time getting dope then it's a win.

Are you using .5 grain jumps until you hit your speed then adjusting seating depth for your es/sd numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                            ***************************************************************

I wouldn't shit you. You are my favorite turd.

Comment

I bet you could get even more velocity with N550.
                                              ďFor God and country Ė Geronimo, Geronimo, GeronimoĒ

Comment

Watching this close. We all have to as the powder sources dry up as well as the bullets we like to use. 6.5mm sure seems popular and if you look around to replenish what you know to be good, powder is not there to be had nor the bullets.
                                                We need something new that is available. FM

Comment

Originally posted by Lowlight
                                                  Here is a Hint -

4166 - Average MV 3098 / SD 8.0 D'oh!
                                                  Varget - Average MV 3142 / SD 8.8
                                                  H4350 - Average MV 2918 / SD 8.0

guess i I got what I was looking for lol

stick to the wilds of AK Old Reliable
                                                  If you are getting that in a 6.5 creed then I wonder what my 260 will get with it plus a longer barrel. Nice find on powder frank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                                  ***************************************************************

I wouldn't shit you. You are my favorite turd.

Comment

While i can't comment on 6.5CM i've been using it with my 6.5x47 and am well past what Hodgon recommends max. Least to me it's well past. I'm going to work my way up a little more see i get pressure signs but max is supposedly 36gr. I shot groups this past weekend at 36.5 and 37gr with no perceivable pressure signs. So far i like it as a viable substitute to varget.
                                                    "Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X