This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Creedmoor

I'm in the process of building my 6.5 Creedmoor and I have a few boxes of their 120gr AMAX factory loads, but once those are gone it to the table. I've seen a few loads on here, but they are spread out all over the place. Figured we need a spot for all of them to go. Bullets I'm interested in using are: 130/140 Berger VLD, 120/140 AMAX, 123/139 Scenars, 142 SMK, and 142 Matrix. Haven't decided powder yet, but mostly will go wth H4831sc or H4350.
    Favorite Vendors:
    Benchmark Barrels 360-652-2594
    US Optics - Lazy21

• Originally posted by luv2hunt6 View Post
    GAP Templar Action
    26" Bartlein Barrel with APA LB Brake
    140ELD-M
    210M
    41.6 H4350 (recently found that 43.2 shoots just as well)
    SD 7.6 ES 19
    2759fps
    Group was fired at BRGC 300yd range last summer.
    What was your COAL ? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by straightandtrue View Post

What was your COAL ? Thanks.
      COAL is 2.8125
      Base to ogive is 2.1895

Comment

• What kind of jump are you guys doing on the Hornady ELD Match 140 gn?

Comment

• With a SAAMI spec .199 freebore Creedmoor chamber I am at 2.850" COAL at .020" off the lands with the 140 ELD-M. With the 147 ELD-M and .030" off the lands I am at 2.860".
          www.teamblaster.net

Comment

• Has anyone worked with both RL-16 and RL-17 and 147 gr ELD-M's. If so which works best for you? I have a great working load for my 6.5 Creedmoor using 40.2 gr of RL-17 but it's right at the edge of pressure when shot at 80 degrees in a "warm" rifle. Barrel is 24" and speed average is 2710 fps. Accuracy is fantastic but I'm concerned about temp sensitivity.

Am interested in RL-16 as Alliant is touting it as "Temperature Insensitive" . What experience have others here had with this bullet weight and RL-16?

If you aren't willing to stand up for others now, who'll be left to stand up when they come for you?

Comment

• Sig2009, I took Rob's advice and I'm 0.020" of the lands with a 140 ELD as well. Silly accurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob01 View Post
                With a SAAMI spec .199 freebore Creedmoor chamber I am at 2.850" COAL at .020" off the lands with the 140 ELD-M. With the 147 ELD-M and .030" off the lands I am at 2.860".
                Just took measurements with the 140 gn ELD-M in my Tikka T3. I'm at 2.890 COAL so to be .020 off lands I would have to be at 2.870. Does that seem too long? Fitting in the AICS mag is not a problem. I can have a max oal of 2.895.

Comment

• Originally posted by sig2009 View Post

Just took measurements with the 140 gn ELD-M in my Tikka T3. I'm at 2.890 COAL so to be .020 off lands I would have to be at 2.870. Does that seem too long? Fitting in the AICS mag is not a problem. I can have a max oal of 2.895.
                  I wouldn't say it's too long but seems close for a factory chamber. You have no problem fitting in the mag so no problems there.
                  www.teamblaster.net

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadshot2 View Post
                    Has anyone worked with both RL-16 and RL-17 and 147 gr ELD-M's. If so which works best for you? I have a great working load for my 6.5 Creedmoor using 40.2 gr of RL-17 but it's right at the edge of pressure when shot at 80 degrees in a "warm" rifle. Barrel is 24" and speed average is 2710 fps. Accuracy is fantastic but I'm concerned about temp sensitivity.

Am interested in RL-16 as Alliant is touting it as "Temperature Insensitive" . What experience have others here had with this bullet weight and RL-16?
                    I have no experience with the 147 ELD-M, but I have been using RL16 since it was first released and I've used a considerable amount of RL17 before that. In my testing, RL16 proved to be VERY temp stable. While Alliant hasn't added the 6.5 Creedmoor to their recipes list yet, an email gets you their max charges for a number of target and hunting bullets. The 147 isn't listed and the closest in weight is the 142 SMK. Max charge for the 142 is 43.9 grains. Start 10% low, work your way up, find your own max, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by canezach View Post

. The 147 isn't listed and the closest in weight is the 142 SMK. Max charge for the 142 is 43.9 grains. Start 10% low, work your way up, find your own max, etc.
                      Thank you for the response. I'll be doing exactly as you suggested tomorrow morning With a little luck I'll hit it on the first pass.

If you aren't willing to stand up for others now, who'll be left to stand up when they come for you?

Comment

I wouldn't say it's too long but seems close for a factory chamber. You have no problem fitting in the mag so no problems there.
                        Thanks Rob. Gonna load a couple tomorrow and test out.
                        What are you using for powder and charge weight for the 140's?
                        Last edited by sig2009; 05-29-2017, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deadshot2

Thank you for the response. I'll be doing exactly as you suggested tomorrow morning With a little luck I'll hit it on the first pass.
                          I'm curious to know how it does. I just ordered a few boxes of 147 eld-m. I'll be starting with R17 because I've given up trying to find the unicorn that is H4350.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jspearm1983 View Post
                            I'm curious to know how it does. I just ordered a few boxes of 147 eld-m. I'll be starting with R17 because I've given up trying to find the unicorn that is H4350.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                            I shot some of the RL-16 today and it seems to be every bit as good as the RL-17 was in my last outing. Forgot to the chronograph but by comparing POI's I am seeing similar speeds. It appears that the sweet spot (for my rifle) will be right around 41 gr with the 147 ELD-M's and estimated speed just over 2700 fps from a 24" barrel. Brand new brass and a little wind but I still got between 1/4" and 1/2"" groups over a .6gr spread (three loads .3 gr apart) .

Comment

Thanks Rob. Gonna load a couple tomorrow and test out.
                              What are you using for powder and charge weight for the 140's?
                              I am using H4350 and 43grns. It's a heavy load so don't start there.
                              www.teamblaster.net

Comment

I am using H4350 and 43grns. It's a heavy load so don't start there.
                                No. Im starting at 41.5/41.8 which was the accuracy node I found with the Nosler Custom Competition 140 gn.

Comment

• Having some luck with Varget. I couldnt find much on the 20 inch 6.5 Tikka so we started at 39.5 and worked up to 40 and we are going to load up some 39.8, 39.9, I forget the speeds, 2700fps from memory. I just ordered some ELD to replace my amax, hope it stays the same. I also have some A4350 for the heavier rounds later on.

Tikka 20" 6.5CM
                                  40g Varget
                                  123 AMAX
                                  Cases and OAL are to hornady book. 1/5" groups (5 shots) at 100

Comment

• Nosler RDF 140gr
                                    Lapua Brass (virgin brass)
                                    42.7g of H4350
                                    Federal Gold Medal Match Small Rifle Primers

COAL: 2.8810
                                    LTOG: 2.3575

Velocity
                                    Avg: 2759
                                    Extreme Spread: 17
                                    Standard Deviation: 6.6

Group Size: 0.248" * **

*5 shot group
                                    ** Measurement taken from outside diameter to outside diameter minus the projectile diameter.
                                    2015 AI AX308
                                    24" Bartlein 6.5 Creed w/ lil bastard
                                    S&B PMII 5-25x56 H59
                                    Spuhr 4002
                                    Atlas

Comment

• Good day at the range. Nosler RDF and Hornady ELDM. POA=POI. 3 shots.

Last edited by sig2009; 06-20-2017, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Good day at the range. Nosler RDF and Hornady ELDM. POA=POI. 3 shots.

I'm really digging the Nosler RDFs at this point. I picked up 500 from Midway at their "birthday" pricing and just ordered another 500 from Core for $135ish shipped.
                                        2015 AI AX308
                                        24" Bartlein 6.5 Creed w/ lil bastard
                                        S&B PMII 5-25x56 H59
                                        Spuhr 4002
                                        Atlas

Comment

• Ya. These were my first RDF loads. Anywhere from 41.5 to 42.5 and the winner was the 42.0gn. A poster said to start at .050 off lands and that is where i started. So I see no reason to go any shorter.

Comment

• Anyone have any pointers on hunting bullet for a 18 inch barrel. Working with berger 130 otm now. Tryed Barnes 127 with no success at distance.

Comment

• Berger 140 Hybrids loaded 2.212 ogive
                                              Lapua Brass
                                              CCI 450
                                              H4350 42.6 grains

AV 2775
                                              SD 3.2
                                              ES 9
                                              "Never start an argument with a man who can end you from another zip code"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramrod00 View Post
                                                Anyone have any pointers on hunting bullet for a 18 inch barrel. Working with berger 130 otm now. Tryed Barnes 127 with no success at distance.
                                                What distance you going for? Have you tried shooting the 120gr pills from Barnes or Hornady?
                                                -Marcus
                                                Northern Colorado

Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong. - Dandamis, sage (4c BCE)

Comment

• I'd like to be effective on whitetail to 700 or 800.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkside-Six View Post
                                                    Berger 140 Hybrids loaded 2.212 ogive
                                                    Lapua Brass
                                                    CCI 450
                                                    H4350 42.6 grains

AV 2775
                                                    SD 3.2
                                                    ES 9
                                                    What's your barrel length?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X