Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone work up a load with 80gr ELD-m in 223 yet?

Collapse

728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone work up a load with 80gr ELD-m in 223 yet?

    I have tried to work out some loads for my Tikka T3 varmint with the Hornady 80gr ELD-M bullets bit haven't had much luck with 8208XBR. Anyone work up a load for these that shoots well?

  • #2
    My wife's Savage .223 bolt gun is deadly accurate with the 80gr Amax. Since Hornady is dropping the 80gr Amax and replacing them with the 80 ELD-M, I decided to pick up a couple boxes for load development. Sadly, no matter what charge weight or jump to the lands I tried, I could not get the new ELD-Ms to rival the accuracy of the older Amax load. I even tried jamming them with no luck. I decided to just give up on the ELD-Ms and search for any online vendors that had any of the old 80gr Amax left in stock. I scored 1000 more of the Amax to hold us for a couple more years.

    The nose and ogive of the 80gr ELDs is more of a slender secant shape than the 80gr Amax. I wish Hornady would have just kept the old Amax shape and just put the non-melting tips on them. The 80gr Amax already had a BC that was better than any other 80gr bullet out there for the .223 and they sure screwed it up. It looks like we will be going with Bergers when our Amax inventory gets low.

    Comment


    • #3
      I didn't have much luck with 8208 either, but varget is working well.

      Comment


      • #4
        I gave up on 8208 and tried H4895, it had better speeds but still inconsistent so I picked up some Varget today to try. What charge are you using and what is you speed?

        Comment


        • #5
          With the a-max I was running 24.2 gr Varget, in lapua brass for 2825fps out of a 30" barrel. I did some measuring on the ELD-m and the A-max today and couldn't find enough of a difference to matter between the two. No more variation between them than what I find between lots of bullets. So in my eyes they are the same. But, I will only be able to tell for sure when I finally load up some of the ELD-m's

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mason.ostrom View Post
            With the a-max I was running 24.2 gr Varget, in lapua brass for 2825fps out of a 30" barrel. I did some measuring on the ELD-m and the A-max today and couldn't find enough of a difference to matter between the two. No more variation between them than what I find between lots of bullets. So in my eyes they are the same. But, I will only be able to tell for sure when I finally load up some of the ELD-m's
            Overall projectile length between the Amax and the ELD-M bullets measured pretty much the same for me. By using the Hornady overall length gauge with the two bullets in our Savage 12, the ELD-Ms were touching lands about at a .050" longer overall cartridge length than the Amax. This pretty much verifies a more slender shape for the front half of the ELD-Ms vs the Amax. I was really hoping to get these 80gr ELD-Ms to shoot since the advertised BC is better than anything else on the market. Even the older 80gr Amax has a better BC than any other 80gr on the market.

            Comment


            • #7
              I measured base to ojive of a dozen A-max and a dozen ELD-M and they only varied by about .005 average. I see more variation than that in a box of A-Max's.

              Comment


              • #8
                I know this thread is a couple months old, but I have had excellent results with the 80 gr eld's and XBR 8208. I stumbled on these looking for some 75 gr eld's but my local supplier was out so I figured I'd play with them. Out of my ruger precision 223 I get 2787 fps, with accuracy usually in the mid to high .2's. Was able to push them up to 2850 with out any pressure signs other than cratered primers which is something these RPR's are know for even with mild loads. Up til that point I had been running 70 gr RDF's with good results and accuracy around .5. I've taken these 80's out to 825 yards with no problem, even with fairly tricky winds sub MOA was no problem at that range. XBR 8208 has worked well for me in several 223's with several different loads. So far I've had good results from all the eld bullets I've worked with, the 73's work really good at mag length in a 8 twist AR, and the 140's and 143's in a Creedmoor. Havnt had a chance to try the 147's yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm still working on getting the 80gr eld's to work, I tried some Varget and got about the same accuracy as the XBR 8208 and the H4895 but the speeds were way lower. I think I will try working with the H4895 again and see if I can get them to be more consistent as I liked the speed closer to 2950 fps. BTW I am shooting these out of a Tikka T3X Varmint, I had the barrel threaded but not cut down by LRI.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rangerbob33 View Post
                    I'm still working on getting the 80gr eld's to work, I tried some Varget and got about the same accuracy as the XBR 8208 and the H4895 but the speeds were way lower. I think I will try working with the H4895 again and see if I can get them to be more consistent as I liked the speed closer to 2950 fps. BTW I am shooting these out of a Tikka T3X Varmint, I had the barrel threaded but not cut down by LRI.
                    I'd like to get move velocity out of them as well but didn't won't to push them any harder with the cratering primers. These 223 rpr's are notorious for primer cratering and I plan on getting the firing pin bushed soon, at that point I'll push it a little harder because it looked like it started coming into another node when I got up to 2850 and stopped. I think that's pretty respectable for a 20 inch 223.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm getting 2820 with 25.0 grains of varget and 80 eld loaded to 2.480". 24" barrel.

                      No pressure signs, but do you guys think I'm pushing it a little too much with 25.0 grains?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lennyo3034 View Post
                        I'm getting 2820 with 25.0 grains of varget and 80 eld loaded to 2.480". 24" barrel.

                        No pressure signs, but do you guys think I'm pushing it a little too much with 25.0 grains?
                        If your not getting any pressure signs then I'd say no but that's just my opinion. I always let the particular rifle tell me when I'm at max. Seating long like that allows for more powder vs book max. Like I said that's just my opinion and how I do things.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I looked up the hodgdon manual and it said max with a 80 SMK was 25.0, although loaded longer than where I'm at. Seems I'm pretty close though instead of way over.

                          I do get cratered primers but that's more due to my firing pin hole. I crater with starting loads too.

                          No heavy bolt lift or signs on the brass itself.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lennyo3034 View Post
                            I looked up the hodgdon manual and it said max with a 80 SMK was 25.0, although loaded longer than where I'm at. Seems I'm pretty close though instead of way over.

                            I do get cratered primers but that's more due to my firing pin hole. I crater with starting loads too.

                            No heavy bolt lift or signs on the brass itself.
                            I have the same problem with cratering primers but it craters mild loads to so I don't pay that much attention. I didn't want to start piercing primers is why I stop when I did I had no other pressure signs

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X