728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judging wind.

Howdy, first question here. I have been shooting longrange since this summer and my biggest deficiency is judging the wind down. Range. For example today I was shooting and everything was fine until I got to my 918 yard target. The wind at my location was coming from the 11 o'clock at 9 to 13 mph. Well my impact to the target was shifting a good 3moa between shots for awhile. There was no mirage as it was cloudy and the trees were swaying back and forth with no indication of direction change. 10 minutes later and was ringing steel no porblem. So the short is I need to get better at seeing the suttle changes in the wind. What is a good source for info or a good drill to improve my skill. Thanks.

When you've read all of the above there are some good books to pick up*. Yes, they are written for guys like me who shoot at round targets on rectangular fields, but there are those of us shooting 308s in F-TR who can hit a 10" 10-Ring more often than not at 1000 yards. There is something to this stuff. Personally I enjoy coaching team shooting, that will get some wind calling pressure on your arse, you are now responsible for 4 others peoples scores.

1. There is no substitute for time on the range. You will not learn to read wind in a book; however, they can teach you what to look for and can give you some ideas of strategies for dealing with difficult conditions. There are things that I see and understand today (even if it's sometimes after I get into the 8 ring) that 5 yrs ago I had no clue.
    2. Know your bullets ballistics.
    3. Spotting scope. Use 25x or 30x and learn to read mirage
    4. Indicators, in NRA competition it's usually flags, but I've also been known to take cues from the trees when they were showing me things the flags didn't.
    5. See #1

*The Wind Book for Rifle Shooters by Linda Miller and Keith Cunningham
    *Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting by Nancy Tompkins

I don't know Linda Miller, but I do know Nancy, she is one of the best wind coaches in the game (F class or HP), and her results as a team coach prove it (over and over again).
    | |

Comment

I just had my first outing at shooting distance. I was set-up at 630 yards with my 700 SPS Tactical .223. We were shooting in a changing 20-25 mph wind and as you can see the direction at 325 was a lot different than at my position which was a little lighter speed, guessing about 10-15. The target is 12" wide and 20" tall steel that i have circled in red and I had a chance to be at the target position, my nephew knocked the target over after 2 shots with his 300 WSM from 325, so we had to go pick it up. There was no wind at the target position.That was an eye opener to see what the wind was doing and actually pay attention to it. You can see at 325 there is a ridge that drops off to a branch and you can barely see there are tree tops at that point so it drops off pretty far then comes back up to the target. From 325 back to shooting position there is a small dip but not much, fairly flat other wise so definitely some terrain variation.

Reading the wind is an art form all on its own and makes this sport that much funner!!!!!

target.jpg

Comment

It is tough, if you have no mirage to read

Comment

Shifty headwinds are extremely labor intensive to shoot in. I've held a half MIL left and hit my target only to have to hold a half MIL right on the following shot to connect a second time. A headwind or tailwind only have to shift a few degrees to completely reverse your hold. Novice shooters think they're awesome because a real short angle headwind rarely requires much wind correction. The problem is they also tend to shift and be unpredictable. I'll take a steady 15mph full value wind all day over a shifty headwind. Get a vane mount for your Kestrel when you are out practicing. Even if you don't have mirage the vane will shift and show you the wind direction is changing. Or buy some of those wind flags Lowlight uses.
          AccuracyTech - Articles & Reviews for the Precision Shooter

Comment

Working...
          X