728 Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hornady 6.5mm ELD-x Match bullets: segmented G7 BC

From www.hornady/com/bc they list for the 6.5 147 ELD-x Match the following G7s for different speed ranges:

over 2512 fps .351
    2232 fps .332
    1953 fps .321

They used the Doppler radar system to determine these more precise BCs. These are all calculated using ICAO standard conditions

Using ballistic ae with .351 BC and starting velocity of 2600fps at 540 yards the fps drops to 1954.

Question #1: when shooting past 540 yards, should I use .321 as my BC in the calculator? If so, how would one account for the better bullet performance (b/c of better BC) as the bullet travels from zero yards to 540 yards.

Question #2: do any of the BC calculators have segemented BC inputs?

Question #3: although a 6.5CM is not optimal for 1760 yard shooting, with either a 140 Eld-x match or 147 Eld-x match, how will this bullet perform past 1400 yards since it is drops subsonic or even before 1400 yards as it transitions.

many thanks in advance for your advice

Originally posted by Butleroutdoors View Post
    From www.hornady/com/bc they list for the 6.5 147 ELD-x Match the following G7s for different speed ranges:

over 2512 fps .351
    2232 fps .332
    1953 fps .321

They used the Doppler radar system to determine these more precise BCs. These are all calculated using ICAO standard conditions

Using ballistic ae with .351 BC and starting velocity of 2600fps at 540 yards the fps drops to 1954.

Question #1: when shooting past 540 yards, should I use .321 as my BC in the calculator? If so, how would one account for the better bullet performance (b/c of better BC) as the bullet travels from zero yards to 540 yards.

Question #2: do any of the BC calculators have segemented BC inputs?

Question #3: although a 6.5CM is not optimal for 1760 yard shooting, with either a 140 Eld-x match or 147 Eld-x match, how will this bullet perform past 1400 yards since it is drops subsonic or even before 1400 yards as it transitions.

many thanks in advance for your advice
    I do know that some ballistic calculators allow you to "step" your BC's per speed - the Applied Ballistics app is one such program that allows you to do that. If you use a Kestrel with AB, you can true your dope at longer distances using the drop scale factor (using actual dope at distance), you can not step your BC's per muzzle velocity. Essentially the same concept though. I can't speak to other ballistic programs, hopefully you get some more comments on that from other users. I have no experience with the AE ballistics program, so I can't tell you what to do there.

I do have personal experience shooting the 140 ELDM's at distance from a 6.5 Creedmoor. The bullet shoots very well and predictably up to and at a mile. somewhere between ~1,900-2,200 yards though, the bullet starts to drop drastically and deviates from the predicted path from the ballistics software (and I mean very drastically). We noticed this when I was shooting a target at 2,200 yards during a private ELR course. The instructors theory is that the ballistic tip finally gave up at some point past a mile, causing a dramatic drop in BC.

If you plan on shooting up to a mile with the ELD line of bullets, they will treat you just fine.

Comment

Would it not be simpler just to run 3 separate profiles in the app?
      Example: 100-800 yards
      800-1200 yards
      1200- out
      Shoot it and figure at which point things go south.

Comment

.351 G7 worked just peachy for us; out to 1300 yards with a starting MV of 2850

Comment

I think those BC's are averaged. So with a starting velocity of 2512 fps or higher the average G7 BC over the flight path is .351 so you'll be fine using a single number and not stepping the BC's.

Comment

Running 3 calcs won't work, because you're predicting the bullet with that BC off the start, so when it gets to it's actually velocity range it'll already be too low. Use the BC for your velocity range, and true it or record your dope.

Comment

Originally posted by -Time- View Post
              Running 3 calcs won't work, because you're predicting the bullet with that BC off the start, so when it gets to it's actually velocity range it'll already be too low. Use the BC for your velocity range, and true it or record your dope.
              You're a genius.

Comment

With handloads and verified velocity my data shows the 147 eld supersonic to 1710 yards.

I have made consecutive hits at 1600 yards so far. I am working on stretching the distance further.

Comment

Originally posted by kthomas

. The instructors theory is that the ballistic tip finally gave up at some point past a mile, causing a dramatic drop in BC.
                  Really, that's all he could come up with? How much did that class cost you?

The reason you see the decay curve trans, beginning and then more rapidly dropping than the models, is not the bullet tips falling off, melting or just the speed of the perfectly spinning bullet having a new BC.

The bullet is slowing more due the stacking of lessened stability; thus really increasing the drag. Think speed wobble as the frequency stacks it feeds back into the wobble making it worse until it is a death wobble (if not corrected artificially). Of course, nobody is able to add external correction to the projectile....

Some shapes work a bit better than others, but it really seems nearly universally true, that once your several mils low past a well verified and tuned dope curve, you on the event horizon of that decay going south in a hurry.

DIY ELR Target Cam with DVR - well proven 2000m+ 2 camera, multiple monitors - link below

https://forum.snipershide.com/forum/...vr#post6291944
                  Last edited by Diver160651; 09-14-2017, 12:00 AM.
                  ELR DIY Target Cam tested well past 2000m
                  NOTE: images etc do not display correctly in the Tapatalk app

Comment

Working...
                  X