This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desert Tech TRASOL Official Thread

For those of you who don't know, I am crazy about extreme long range precision and I have been shooting beyond 2000 yards for 15 years and it has been a great journey. Before I started Desert Tech I could see that ballistics calculators really started to fall apart quickly beyond 1000 yards. In talking with real snipers who engage enemy targets at those distances, they have had to rely heavily on a quick follow-up shot, using the first shot to obtain accurate dope. It really bothered me that first round hit capability beyond 1000 yards was a rarity with available calculators. This irritation was like a sliver in my finger that I had to do something about. So, I went underground for the last three years testing and searching for the holy grail of ballistic computers. I was determined that I was going to do whatever it took to obtain my goals of predictable, first-round hits beyond 1000 yards. I have worked with a lot of great folks along the way. I got my hands on every ballistic calculator that I knew existed, talked to knowledgeable shooters around the world, and, unfortunately, even offended my peers with my stubborn mentality and honest discussions. I tested prediction capabilities over and over for months in differing locations and different environmental conditions. I can tell you what apps don't produce the same results every time you use them and which ones provide different results between their Android and Apple offerings. But I am not here to trash anyone else's work because I highly respect anyone who has invested the time, money, and effort to provide a ballistic calculator solution because it isn't cheap and it takes more work than most would realize.

In my search, I met Gustavo Ruiz the owner of Patagonia Ballistics and bought a copy of CB1. Later, when he released his new windows phone app I bought an extra phone just so I could use the app. Now, in my testing it was critical that all of the conditions were properly accounted for and the equipment was well-documented and accurate. The biggest issue we found was in evaluating rifle scopes. We found the majority of them had up to 1% error in their click values. The worst was 3% error. This included many $3K+ optics so don't think you can spend enough money to be safe. We also found some scopes had reticle movement when parallax was adjusted, discovered some had backlash issues, and some that even after the parallax was adjusted then the reticle moves several MOA when you moved your head around. Once we had all equipment quality confirmed and true scope values accounted for, then the testing began. We will be releasing a video series on scope testing to help users ensure the best predictions possible.

We found that Gustavo's engine provided predictive flight curves that matched Doppler radar data the closest and what was amazing is it did it with manufacture-published bullet data (G7 BC and actual muzzle velocities). We tweaked the best of the others to try to get their flight curves as close to Doppler radar data as possible but still weren't able to get as close as Gustavo's engine. I was ecstatic!!! For the first time ever I could obtain predictions that provided first round hits at distances up to 1500 yards and beyond.

I called Gustavo and reported my findings and he confidently said: "Yes, I knew that is what you would find." I asked him if he had plans to offer it on any other device than Windows phone and he declined. I asked if he would allow Desert Tech to build a calculator based on his engine for other platforms and he again declined and said come down here to Argentina and we will talk. "I want to get to know you and Desert Tech."

A few months later, I was in Patagonia Argentina with Gus completely off the grid, hunting red stags (free ranging of course) on an old farm that made me feel like I was living 100 years ago. We hunted half the day and talked ballistics from sun up to midnight every day for a week. By the end of the week, I had made a lifelong friend and Gustavo and I had made an arrangement that would bring TRASOL to life.

While in Argentina Gus mentioned that Frank Galli was also eager to get Gustavoís engine onto other platforms and we were happy when Frank accepted our invitation to collaborate with us on TRASOLís development. We continued to involve Gus in its development and together we were able to add even more precision and automation into the predictions during its development. Long-range shooting is highly technical which leaves a lot of room for making mistakes and overlooking something. To get the maximum prediction accuracy then you have to be extremely precise and ensure everything is set properly. As I used ballistic computers in the past then I found that if I had to jump back and forth between screens to ensure all of my target data and shooting conditions were inputted properly then I would likely miss something. So, we designed TRASOL so that all elements that need to be inputted for taking your shot are in one screen that does not scroll up or down. Now, all the data is 100% visible so it is easy to see what you need to account for and you can easily/quickly ensure "ALL" data has been accounted for.
    Our primary goal with TRASOL is predictive accuracy because it doesn't matter what bells and whistles an app has if you still miss your target. An old friend of mine used to tell me there is genius in simplicity. TRASOLís user interface was designed to be intuitively easy to use and minimize the chances of user error.

We have a lot of things planned for TRASOLís future. We are happy that today everyone can enjoy the phenomenal prediction capabilities and its simple user interface.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    --Frank Outlaw

• I don't have the latest iOS. I deleted and re-downloaded the app and it works now but I lost my profiles. I only had a few though.

Comment

• Originally posted by drglock View Post

I'm running the 10.3.3 on my IPhone and it still crashes as soon as it opens.
      drglock, thanks for your reply!

I'm presently on IOS 10.3.3 as I was forced into loading it when phone locked up and required a full "restore."

I'll plan on continuing to run the older 1.2.2 version of Trasol while waiting for an update to the crashing 1.2.3 version.
      pell1203

Comment

• Originally posted by newguy2k3v2 View Post
        I don't have the latest iOS. I deleted and re-downloaded the app and it works now but I lost my profiles. I only had a few though.
        Good to know you can get it to work again by deleting and reloading the app. I only have two profiles created so with the help of a few screenshots it would not be terribly difficult to recreate them. Just a pain in the ass option for those that have put a lot of effort into creating multiple profiles.

Can't believe this issue was not discovered during testing prior to release... ohhh wait! Testing, what's that!
        pell1203

Comment

• I still do have the issue where I can't save my preferences on the settings screen.

Comment

• Originally posted by newguy2k3v2 View Post
            I still do have the issue where I can't save my preferences on the settings screen.
            Yeah, same here. Deleting and reinstalling worked (thanks!) but profiles gone and syncing doesn't restore them, no profiles found, IOS 10.3.3
            "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight," Psalms 144:1

Comment

• Originally posted by Fursniper
              Is anyone having these problems with the Android version?
              Yes, mine goes to intro screen then crashes immediately and consistently.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Well i thought i was clever not installing the latest IOS on my phone so i wouldn't have problems with Trasol like most others are experiencing and all has been going good. Well today at the range I hit the Trasol icon on the phone and guess what, poof, nothing. The program has disappeared, shame on me for not having screen shots for the three different rifles, four different calibers and multiple powder/bullet combinations. How could something I downloaded disappear on its own?

Comment

• This WAS my favorite Ballistics App. Unfortunately, like everyone else's, mine no longer works. To make matters worse, I bought the app when it was about $40.

Comment

• Mines gone too now.

Great job there, Trash-sol.

Trashsol = Maybe if the problem is ignored it will go away.

Comment

• Updated iPhone and Ipad and lost all data. I took screenshots so I'm just annoyed. I've been using AB as a backup and now it crashes as well so it's not good all around!
                      Only accurate rifles are interesting

Comment

• I'm a little confused here given the last few posts!

My prior understanding was any pre-existing rifle profiles would be lost when updating to new Trasol ver. 1.2.3 independent of whether an iOS update was or was not done on the iPhone.

However, it seems some of you are reporting the new version promptly crashes on startup, while others say deleting the updated (patched) version and downloading the latest (v 1.2.3) has worked even though you are forced to rebuild the old rifle data previously lost. Is this correct?

or

Is the entire application disappearing from the iPhone altogether now as Fishkat and steve123 appear to be implying? Have either of you tried to re-install directly from the AppStore to restore the program? Has it worked?

Looks like developers are having the general public do their basic testing these days! I remember when years ago this was done in the lab prior to software release to avoid all the confusion, panic, and embarrassment!
                        pell1203

Comment

• Originally posted by Long Range 338 View Post
                          Updated iPhone and Ipad and lost all data. I took screenshots so I'm just annoyed. I've been using AB as a backup and now it crashes as well so it's not good all around!
                          Long Range 338, since both Trasol and AB are presently crashing for you it may be possible you may have somehow corrupted your device memory. Have you tried shutting down your iPhone, waiting a few minutes, and restarting so it has to initialize from scratch and re-identify itself to the network? This has often fixed goofy issues I've had with some of our iPhones. Something simple to try.
                          pell1203

Comment

• Originally posted by pell1203 View Post

Long Range 338, since both Trasol and AB are presently crashing for you it may be possible you may have somehow corrupted your device memory. Have you tried shutting down your iPhone, waiting a few minutes, and restarting so it has to initialize from scratch and re-identify itself to the network? This has often fixed goofy issues I've had with some of our iPhones. Something simple to try.
                            Yes I've tried about everything and deleted Trasol at least half a dozen times... Trasol works fine, I just had to input all my data again. The download/backup system is not working so that I can go between multiple devices.
                            AB has all of my data there so I can open the app and see my rifle and load data but when I try to go to the ballistic table it crashes.
                            Right now I'm just going to proceed with the free Lapua app and see how that goes..................

Comment

Yeah I just tested AB and it works fine with iOS 10.3.3
                              The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne
                              "Do not pray for an easy life, acquire the strength to endure a difficult one" -Bruce Lee

Comment

I'm a little confused here given the last few posts!

My prior understanding was any pre-existing rifle profiles would be lost when updating to new Trasol ver. 1.2.3 independent of whether an iOS update was or was not done on the iPhone.

However, it seems some of you are reporting the new version promptly crashes on startup, while others say deleting the updated (patched) version and downloading the latest (v 1.2.3) has worked even though you are forced to rebuild the old rifle data previously lost. Is this correct?

or

Is the entire application disappearing from the iPhone altogether now as Fishkat and steve123 appear to be implying? Have either of you tried to re-install directly from the AppStore to restore the program? Has it worked?

Looks like developers are having the general public do their basic testing these days! I remember when years ago this was done in the lab prior to software release to avoid all the confusion, panic, and embarrassment!
                                I didn't do any updates so I didn't think anything was going to go wrong. My rifle profiles just disappeared. I haven't tried to input the profiles over again yet. It's ridiculous because Trasol puts out good solutions but the support is where? Now this. The HUD never did work right on my Droid2. Another time the program wouldn't solve for winds regarding aerodynamic jump at ELR distances which was half the reason I bought it. It's only $10 but... It's just very unprofessional at this point!
                                Last edited by steve123; 08-11-2017, 10:02 PM.

Comment

I'm a little confused here given the last few posts!

or

In my case, running old IOS on both iPhone and pad, I could tap the Trasol icon and the screen would flash and and that was all that would happen.
                                  So I was forced to go the delete route and reinstall and I'm in the process of rebuilding the data base which is a pain but what I really hate is losing all my zero information for all the different rifles and loads on the equipment tabs. I have all the range data recorded but don't know

Comment

• I'm not sure why (I assume an error fixed at the server end of things) but now my loads save and download from device to device just like they should. I'm back up and running on Trasol.

Comment

• Not mine I hit Sync and it shutdown the app.

Comment

• One change I made on my end was that I have been using a "/" symbol and I changed them to a "-" Could be coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                                        X