World War II-era bomber plane crashes in Connecticut

memyselfi

memyselfi
Belligerents
Sep 17, 2011
Good Ole USA

No update as to which aircraft, earlier article denotes

"The aircraft are a B-17G Flying Fortress heavy bomber, a B-24J Liberator heavy bomber, a B-25 Mitchell medium bomber, a P-51 Mustang fighter and a P-40 Warhawk fighter. "

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-historic-airplanes-bradley-airport-20190930-tj2w7ua3wbgjrh4qbmvo5udygu-story.html

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Damn two weeks ago standing in Fitchburg Massachusetts from a ways I heard something special approaching.

Looked up and it was the Collings Foundation B-25.

These events call on all sorts of people to stop flying the old war birds.

Lets make a deal.

We make the old war birds a static display if you will let the AF bring air shows back to the local AFB.

They have ended the airshows in my AO as they are "too dangerous".

I don't think that had anything to do with it as they are no more dangerous than any highway around Boston.

I think the libs just wanted to create another separation from their vaunted selves and the "icky" military.

Not a kid alive cant go to an air show and see a modern fighter than leave there dreaming of being a pilot in the mil.

Ive done a walk through on a B-17, amazed me how cramped they were for what we imagine as a big aircraft.

Very sad. Hope its healable injuries only.

brianf

Private
Belligerents
Apr 8, 2010
NY
Took a flight in a 17 about 15 years ago.

It was everything you hoped it would be.

Top turret, bombardier, tail.

Best spit was the pop top window on the down slope behind the top turret.

70 degree day to boot.

...by the way, zero protection

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
Those Forts (and Super Forts) were something. Don't mess with US strategic bombers...

Sorry to hear this old gal went down and the resulting loss of life. Wonder how much German flak she survived?

QuickNDirty

NaN
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Apr 26, 2013
location location location
Damn two weeks ago standing in Fitchburg Massachusetts from a ways I heard something special approaching.

Looked up and it was the Collings Foundation B-25.

These events call on all sorts of people to stop flying the old war birds.

Lets make a deal.

We make the old war birds a static display if you will let the AF bring air shows back to the local AFB.

They have ended the airshows in my AO as they are "too dangerous".

I don't think that had anything to do with it as they are no more dangerous than any highway around Boston.

I think the libs just wanted to create another separation from their vaunted selves and the "icky" military.

Not a kid alive cant go to an air show and see a modern fighter than leave there dreaming of being a pilot in the mil.

Ive done a walk through on a B-17, amazed me how cramped they were for what we imagine as a big aircraft.

Very sad. Hope its healable injuries only.
I'm really looking forward to the airshow this year. Wings Over Houston is pretty badass, and now that my boy is old enough to have a pretty kickass brain, he should love it even more.

2ndamendfan

Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 10, 2010
UT
Boy that ain't no shit.
Wiki already updated with the crash. The original Nine-O-Nine, did 140 combat missions with 0 loss of life. The plane that crashed today is/was serial # 44-83575, was built in the ending days of the war. It never saw combat. It did serve as air-sea rescue until 1952.

German flak hell, in 1952 it was subject to 3 nuclear explosions. After a 13 year "cooling down period" it was sold and did fire suppression for 20 years. In 1986 Collins bought it and restored it, thus turning into the Nine-O-Nine.

it crashed in 1987, 1995, 2019.

pretty good read.

DRandi

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
May 24, 2014
Lakeland, Florida
Sad day. I flew in the Nine-O-Nine in 2012 I think. Was absolutely stunning. Had a few WWII vets with us telling stories too.

We departed out of Tallahassee airport and they flew us out to the gulf and back. Flight was accompanied by their B-24 Witchcraft wearing The Dragon and His Tail artwork.

Reactions: 308220

Driftr76

I add nothing to the discussion
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Mar 6, 2019
Indiana
That group of planes was just at the airport down the road from my house in August. I watched them take off and land for an entire weekend. Our airport has been a stop on there tour for years. Very sad news.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Collins just built a big armor museum in Hudson MA. Its on the list of weekend stuff to do with the kids.

Few years ago we were apple picking next to their airfield in Stowe MA. Every Columbus Day they re-enact a WWII battle. Sounded intense lots of blank fire. A German Storch "hovered" over the field like a vulture. Think has a stall speed of like .5 mph.

Also had a T6 buzzing around to represent the Allies.

They do great work educating the new generations in a way that makes a difference.

Reactions: 308220

jbailey

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Jul 27, 2010
Arlington VA
I just spoke to my parents. They live about 10 minutes from Bradley and my father was going to take this flight. He decided against it after seeing the price tag: $2500. Obviously we are very lucky he made that decision.

Son of Dorn

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2019
Preliminary crash report by FAA...

So what I'm getting from the report is that a magneto failure in the #4 engine required immediate landing and during the landing, the plane hit lights, lost some control, hit the ground, and veered off into vehicles before hitting a tank full of flammable fluid? And that all of the engines except #4 had just been overhauled?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Yep,

I'm thinking the engine failure is a non issue except for the fact it set a chain of events in motion.

Striking the light tower was the fatal factor.

That plane will fly on two engines.

Granted take off is not the time to have 3/4 of your power but still that plane should be recoverable with 3 engines.

Got to be tough for these pilots with all the places they fly out of to know every little detail about the airports.

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 2, 2012
So what I'm getting from the report is that a magneto failure in the #4 engine required immediate landing and during the landing, the plane hit lights, lost some control, hit the ground, and veered off into vehicles before hitting a tank full of flammable fluid? And that all of the engines except #4 had just been overhauled?
All of them except #4 were overhauled in JANUARY, the time of it's last Annual. #4 had 838 hrs on it since overhaul at that time. The engines had accumulated approx 268 hrs (as of 23 SEP) of time since then (and #4 838 + 268 hrs).

Last edited:

Son of Dorn

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2019
All of them except #4 were overhauled in JANUARY, the time of it's last Annual. #4 had 838 hrs on it since overhaul at that time. The engines had accumulated approx 268 hrs (as of 23 SEP) of time since then (and #4 838 + 268 hrs).
Right. Misread. But either way, #4 seems to have been the culprit. I wonder whether there'd have been more survivors if the plane hadn't hit the deicing fluid tank, 'cause I can only assume that accelerated any fire that was already burning.

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 2, 2012
Unless there is a lot more to the story we don't know yet, #4 isn't the cause of the crash. It was only one link in the accident chain. The aircraft was operating essentially "empty" compared to its wartime mission, with no bomb load on board. The passengers were only a couple more than a normal crew. I would expect the performance with this load and 3-1/2 engines would be better than with a full wartime payload and all 4 engines performing normally. However the altitudes mentioned in the report as the plane made its way around the pattern for a landing are well below normal pattern altitudes. The pilots never mentioned any other problem, yet they didn't achieve any appreciable altitude. Something just doesn't add up.

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
Striking the light tower is the factor that matters.

Seems like they were off line on approach.

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 2, 2012
Striking the light tower is the factor that matters.

Seems like they were off line on approach.
It says they struck “approach lights”. I’d have to look at the airport diagram, but they’re probably ALS lights and in line with the runway centerline. But they hit them 1000 ft short of the runway. Again, WHY SO LOW with 3 engines running and the 4th not completely out?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Nov 6, 2011
MA
It says they struck “approach lights”. I’d have to look at the airport diagram, but they’re probably ALS lights and in line with the runway centerline. But they hit them 1000 ft short of the runway. Again, WHY SO LOW with 3 engines running and the 4th not completely out?
Good point.

Not being an aviator I could miss the nuance in definitions.

Need to get more there was an account of a wing striking a "light" or other obstacle.